Special abilities used up in misfire

Reports on bugs, and questions on if something is a bug.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Special abilities used up in misfire

Post by Raona » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:20 pm

Enig wrote: Special Abilities

Typoing or picking a target that isn't there or generally misfiring special abilities won't result in them being used up anymore.
I find this is not true of Paladin special abilities (smite and turn undead, at least). Are there others out there for which it is not holding true?
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Special abilities used up in misfire

Post by Selveem » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:53 am

Can you be more specific? Not sure exactly what you mean.

For instance, if you fail to turn you shouldn't get your turn chance back. These are things I think you probably already know, but just in case..
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Hollenlark
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Hollenlark » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:11 am

I am still experiencing this for Turn Undead with a good-aligned cleric as well as the Sing ability on a bard.
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Post by Hrosskell » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:46 am

Seems like it's not true for shapechange either. Not getting any message other than "You failed." Kind of expected something more detailed--unless of course I did just fail. XD
Jamais arriere.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:10 pm

To flesh out what I'm talking about a bit more, here:

Enig posted a hard code update note saying that special abilities would no longer be used up on typos and misfires. Having looked into it some more, I think that needs a caveat: special abilities fired off by the INVOKE command do seem to follow this guidance, but older ones, like layonhands, smite, turn, sing, shapechange, and the like, which use a keyword rather than INVOKE, do not: that is, a use is lost even if there is no target, or your target leaves the room as you type, or what have you.

I think the plan is still to make all abilities eventually use the INVOKE command, so that this will be solved for everything. For now it's mostly just racial abilities, and the new Pallidin cure disease.

So this isn't a bug, just something that has yet to happen. Until it does, though, be careful with your songs and the like!