Strength Mod bonuses not applying to cwt properly

This forum contains bugs which the test team think are fixed are awaiting confirmation from the initial reporter of the bug.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Strength Mod bonuses not applying to cwt properly

Post by Selveem » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:06 pm

When you get an item with a strength mod, you seem to get +20 cwt regardless of what your new strength mod should give.

Additionally, spells like bulls strength do not appear to be applying new strength to carry weight properly either. On Zareth, I have 14 base strength netting me 196 cwt (14^2 = 196). When I cast bulls strength on myself, I get +4 strength as per normal. 18^2 = 324. That should be my new carry weight, but instead I end up with 252.

While these numbers aren't exactly D&D and give slightly more max carry load than normal D&D, I think this is done because we must carry a lot more than in a normal D&D campaign.
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Raona
Staff
Staff

Re: Strength Mod bonuses not applying to cwt properly

Post by Raona » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:24 am

Confirmed. However, D20 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/Bullsstrength.htm) specifies that Bull's Strength only
"grants a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength, adding the usual benefits to melee attack rolls, melee damage rolls, and other uses of the Strength modifier." That wouldn't explicitly include carrywt, just the things the strength modifier (+3, +4, what have you) operates on. So the question here becomes what should Bull's strength do to carrywt: Nothing, some increase, or increase to match what the STR score would give?

To me it makes sense that it should boost CarryWt, to the same set for the STR score, but I don't want to bug this and then learn that it is doing what it should. What we currently have is a compromise between a strict reading of canon and the notion that your strength actually increases whole hog, as if your ability score went up by 4. Others with more experience with the rules outside of FK have any insights?
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:39 pm

Raona wrote:and other uses of the Strength modifier.
Says it right there. :D
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Isaldur
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isaldur » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Bulls Strength provides +4 strength (unless tweaked with metamagic). Strength score, not modifier, determines carry weight. Bulls Strength should effect carryweight.

If Bulls Strength was not meant to modify carryweight then it would only provide a +2 bonus to the strength modifier, and not a +4 to the actual Strength score itself which in turn provides the +2 bonus to the modifier.
A sapphire haired male aasimar replies to you 'What would you get Tanya for a wedding present?'
You reply to A sapphire haired male aasimar 'A swift kick to the head. '
Maybel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Maybel » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:10 pm

well what it does... it does your max str * your base str... so it was 14/14 giving you a carry weight of 196 but with bulls str you get stats of 18/14 and 18*14 does = 252, so maybe your carry weight is your max str * your base str and not just give a flat max str squared ... and it seams like that is acceptable to me as training your base str up should always outweigh a spell
R.I.P.
You will never be forgotten..
In memory of Stephanie
and the best damn RPing I have ever had!
Thank you
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'll go upstairs with this and see if the current operation is a vestigial of the old CarryWt system, or intentional.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:29 pm

Might have been done to throw people off from trying to figure out their stats.. Not sure, but thanks for checking into it for us! :D
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Should now be fixed.