Proposal: book reorganization

For builders to discuss and ask building questions.
Pirro
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Proposal: book reorganization

Post by Pirro » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:13 am

There are a lot of books that deal with a specific faith, region, etc., but are not sold by anyone in the corresponding areas (mainly temples). I'd be interested in going through the publishing houses's catalog and sorting it appropriately (either IC as Ormud or just offline). It seems like a good project for slowly chipping away at over time.

Does this seem worth doing?
Vantaniael
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Re: Proposal: book reorganization

Post by Vantaniael » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:43 am

I dont know how I could be helpful with this, but I fully endorse this idea.
Follow your heart, yes.. but use your head, too. Take to every task with zeal and passion, but try to pair it with sage and discerning execution.
Tarven
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tarven » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:00 am

Just curious if anything ever came of this? Sounds like an awesome idea. There are a TON of books in the game, and I feel it's a sort of dereliction on my part that I've read maybe half a dozen of them.
Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alitar » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Well, I remember Ormud and his cart of books from not too long ago. I don't know if he ever did anything with this idea, but I do remember the character toting books around.
"The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armour. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time."
~Frank Miller
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:49 pm

There has been no overall reorganization of books. A few specific topics have been given special attention though. (e.g. I consolidated all of the paladin related books at the Halls of Justice.)

What kind of reorganization, specifically, do you all recommend?
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Tarven
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tarven » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:54 pm

Harroghty wrote:There has been no overall reorganization of books. A few specific topics have been given special attention though. (e.g. I consolidated all of the paladin related books at the Halls of Justice.)

What kind of reorganization, specifically, do you all recommend?
Might be interesting to have a Temple of Deneir somewhere, perhaps with a quest to get access to, where each floor covers a different subject? Gods, Regions, Poetry/Songs, Crafting, etc. Beyond that, I'm not sure. I don't know exactly what Ormud's player intended, other than to make sure that, say, any book about Tempus was available at Swordpoint Hall, etc? I'd have to compile a full list of the books from somewhere to get any kind of concrete ideas on this one.
Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alitar » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:02 pm

That's a pretty good idea. I recommend someone taking the time to run through the "The Cleric's Quintet" and trying to locate/place Cadderly's church. As I recall, that is pretty much what it is, no? It would be another smile at finding just like Harpell was.
"The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armour. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time."
~Frank Miller
Vantaniael
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Vantaniael » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:02 am

Should we create a post like the spells without trainers, only as a deity list and people can add books corresponding to the deities. Then they could be scattered throughout the shrines and temples as relevant?
Follow your heart, yes.. but use your head, too. Take to every task with zeal and passion, but try to pair it with sage and discerning execution.
Nearraba
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nearraba » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:33 am

I really like Vant's idea. I'd be up for helping with this as well!

Also to note though, many of the temples, those that have a library or sell books- won't sell to you, unless you're apart of the faith, so that's also something to consider.
Autumn is a second spring where every leaf has its turn to be a flower.
- Albert Camus
Tarven
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tarven » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:23 am

Nearraba wrote:I really like Vant's idea. I'd be up for helping with this as well!

Also to note though, many of the temples, those that have a library or sell books- won't sell to you, unless you're apart of the faith, so that's also something to consider.
Totes, though a specialty vendor can probably be added that would sell just the books. I know I've been in some temples that have a mix (will and won't sell to) type vendors.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:30 am

Vantaniael: No, it's much easier for me to do that without the leg work from you, but you should feel free to make suggestions.

I had an idea a few years ago about making libraries with an entrance fee. You would not be able to take the books, but you could read them in the library. Does that sound attractive?
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Lylena
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lylena » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:25 pm

Harroghty wrote:I had an idea a few years ago about making libraries with an entrance fee. You would not be able to take the books, but you could read them in the library. Does that sound attractive?
Very attractive! I imagine you'd need a guard at the entrance similar to the Lucky Drunk and the room keys? Or would it work a different way to get books returned?
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I will kill you."
Such is the rule of honor.
Lysha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lysha » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:06 pm

Also be made into a no teleport zone. :)
Your punch viciously hammers a shark's abdomen.
A shark is stunned, but will probably recover.

http://www.elfonlyinn.net/d/20070925.html
Manadhon
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Manadhon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:07 pm

Harroghty wrote:Vantaniael: No, it's much easier for me to do that without the leg work from you, but you should feel free to make suggestions.

I had an idea a few years ago about making libraries with an entrance fee. You would not be able to take the books, but you could read them in the library. Does that sound attractive?
Very attractive. I had considered suggesting it, myself, but didn't think it would fly.

Maybe it'd be tended by priests of Deinir? (sp?)
Vantaniael
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Vantaniael » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:34 am

Well 'if' it comes down to a library site.. we do have a soon defunct Font of Knowledge. Though, it could also be set at Candlekeep, a small part of it in game. Both would be some of the more attractive locations for it.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:57 am

Harroghty wrote:Vantaniael: No, it's much easier for me to do that without the leg work from you, but you should feel free to make suggestions.

How would the bards (or other authors) get paid?
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Manadhon
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Manadhon » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:03 pm

Selveem wrote:

How would the bards (or other authors) get paid?
Isn't payment currently handled by a simple one time installment? I wouldn't see that as changing. In theory, it would come out of 'library dues'. Call it a one time fee of 15 plat?
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:19 pm

Well, I am also not talking about eradicating book sellers; I am only talking about also adding another alternative. But, yes, Manadhon is correct. Authors are paid when he or she submits a work.