Anti-Continual Light

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Anti-Continual Light

Post by Hviti » Wed May 19, 2004 11:04 pm

I was just thinking about there being both balls of light and dark light, with continual light being almost the equivalent of the regular ball of light, and so I was wondering if there could be some sort of opposite to it. Something like, if you cast is on an object it would radiate dark light (I think I've seen an object somewhere doing this), or if cast on an object with continual light radiating from it, it would negate the effect and return the object to normal, unless the object was naturally glowing(i.e. quest object). I cannot really think of a good name to put to it, though.

Possible uses...

Drow, people who dress in all dark leather, poor wizards who went crazy with continual light and have bugs flying at them all the time ;) ...
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Thu May 20, 2004 12:20 am

Hmm...

What if in the help file, it states a specific list of colors, and when you cast the spell continual light, you can specify what color you wish for the ball to be?
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Algon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Algon » Thu May 20, 2004 12:31 pm

I like that idea Glim. I think it would be nice if the ball could be made to a specific color.
Tandria
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tandria » Thu May 20, 2004 12:47 pm

That would be interesting, I agree. But would it say, for example:

(Glowing green) A neon pink robe

Or would it just be "(Glowing)", and the word glowing would be the colour of choice?
"May your travels be Wonderful and Mysterious."
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Thu May 20, 2004 6:06 pm

Ahh....sorry...I was thinking more of a different kind of the witch light spell. (I get them mixed up)

With Hviti's idea, I would like for there to be a way to remove the continual light spell glowing effect from something...though I would think it would be either a darkness spell or dispel magic could be cast upon items (Its a universal spell so im still baffled why all wizards dont get it).

Perhaps darkness (or continual darkness) by itself could make the room instantly dark (like its nighttime and you dont have a light source) and when cast upon an item it would dispel continual light (why woundnt it just be called light?)

It would be able to negate the light/continual light spell...and might also have other effects too.
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Thu May 20, 2004 6:08 pm

Tandria wrote: Or would it just be "(Glowing)", and the word glowing would be the colour of choice?
But if there was a spell like that made things glow different colors, I think this would be the best
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Tandria
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tandria » Thu May 20, 2004 7:59 pm

The only drawback would be that players without ANSI colour wouldn't be able to tell what colour the object was glowing.
"May your travels be Wonderful and Mysterious."
Lea
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Lea » Thu May 20, 2004 9:03 pm

Do you mean like a darken spell?

Where it will make whatever was glowing now dark or something along those lines?

Could also darken room
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Thu May 20, 2004 11:18 pm

I'm not sure about darkening rooms, not being very up in the spell types, but I was thinking more along the lines of a dark glow, which I think I have seen, as in globs of dark light and that sort of thing. I suppose colors would also work, though I do not know if they would be different spells or if a color could be selected at casting. In terms of interaction with continual light I thought of continual light making a normal object glow, or return to normal from darkness/dark glow. The dark spell would make a normal object dark glow, or return a bright glowing object to normal.

I do not know anything about coding, but I was wondering if quest objects that naturally glow are set like that, and whether a spell like this would unglow them if used, or just not act at all, they presumably having some sort of inate magic if glowing naturally.

Any ideas on what guilds would get it? Just the ones with continual light, or dark types? (i.e. Necros)
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Fri May 21, 2004 12:48 am

Hviti wrote:I'm not sure about darkening rooms, not being very up in the spell types, but I was thinking more along the lines of a dark glow, which I think I have seen, as in globs of dark light and that sort of thing. I suppose colors would also work, though I do not know if they would be different spells or if a color could be selected at casting. In terms of interaction with continual light I thought of continual light making a normal object glow, or return to normal from darkness/dark glow. The dark spell would make a normal object dark glow, or return a bright glowing object to normal.

I do not know anything about coding, but I was wondering if quest objects that naturally glow are set like that, and whether a spell like this would unglow them if used, or just not act at all, they presumably having some sort of inate magic if glowing naturally.

Any ideas on what guilds would get it? Just the ones with continual light, or dark types? (i.e. Necros)
It would be an enchantment spell...but it would also be pretty low level...I would say any guild that would get continual light.
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Sia
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Sia » Fri May 21, 2004 2:51 am

Are you thinking perhaps of the drow 'globe of darkness' ability?

As for the different coloured balls of light, it could be based on a skill level. At a certain level, you can create only certain colours? For example.. at inept, I can only create the generic ball of light. But at expert, I can paint the colours of the rainbow

Just throwing out ideas :)

~Sia
Algon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Algon » Fri May 21, 2004 1:06 pm

I would think that the components for different color balls of light would have to be a little different too. Like a purple elephant hair for a purple light. And I also like the idea of having it be level determined. Perhaps gain a color at every level of the skill....but then you would have some people just making balls all the time for no reason just to gain levels. Maybe have it to where you can only make one or so a game day. Just a thought.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Fri May 21, 2004 6:29 pm

Sia wrote:Are you thinking perhaps of the drow 'globe of darkness' ability?

As for the different coloured balls of light, it could be based on a skill level. At a certain level, you can create only certain colours? For example.. at inept, I can only create the generic ball of light. But at expert, I can paint the colours of the rainbow

Just throwing out ideas :)

~Sia
I wouldnt mind seeing drow get the darkness spell for their inherent abilities.

Hmm...lets see...

How about:

Inept -
{F0}White
{80}Black
Amateur -
{E0}Light Blue
{70}Grey
{50}Purple
Novice -
{B0}Yellow
{30}Brown
{D0}Pink
Apprentice -
{A0}Light Green
{20}Green
{60}Sea Green
Journeyman -
{10}Dark Red
{90}Red
Adept -
{C0}Blue
{40}Dark Blue
Expert-
Prismatic
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Ellian
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Ellian » Thu May 27, 2004 9:49 pm

I would love to see a greater variety of colored balls in the game, but I would be more interested in seeing the ability to create these different colors tied in with quests instead of skill-levels. I think it would make more sense, because (going off of Glim's suggestion in the previous post) if the desired ball color were blue, I do not see what would make it more challenging to create than a red or purple ball.

If new colors were learned by quest, each color could be focused on and the wizard or priest could learn the components (and codewords?) they would need to create each color.

I think the addition of colors will make our beloved little illusionist population here on FK much more popular. Great idea. :D

-El-
Ellian
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Ellian » Thu May 27, 2004 9:55 pm

Oh, and on Hviti's idea about removing the glow from objects -

It would be nice if this could be a simple addition to the continual light spell. Much like create weather gives you the options "better" and "worse," the spell coding could be changed to allow the placing of light or the removal of light from an item. I don't know if this is possible, because I've just barely dipped my toes into coding for this game, but it's an idea.

-El-
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Thu May 27, 2004 10:00 pm

What about creating the capability to spawn more than balls of light? Other shapes like cubes, Ovals, octagons would be interesting but I agree that something like this should be learned through intense study and/or through questing. Who would not love their own Pyramid of light?
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:01 am

It would be nice if this could be a simple addition to the continual light spell. Much like create weather gives you the options "better" and "worse," the spell coding could be changed to allow the placing of light or the removal of light from an item. I don't know if this is possible, because I've just barely dipped my toes into coding for this game, but it's an idea.
Do you mean something like cast continual light with a specification of darker or lighter, like resizing things?
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:40 am

Addition to continual light spell.. what of just a new spell for sharites/drow/necromancers/maskites called continual darkness that removes the glow affect of an object?

Globe of darkness is on antirely different level affecting rooms which I think would be EXCELLENT for drow/sharites. Perhaps something that extinguishes all light on PCs (including light on the character casting) and plung the room into darkness and affecting the caster with an ability close to true sight so they can penetrate the darkness?
Sia
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Sia » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:56 am

I like your idea Nedylene.. but as for a globe of darkness, if I remember correctly, not even the drow can penetrate such a globe with sight. Unless it were a different sort of spell with the same name, anyone within the sphere of a globe of darkness would lose the ability of sight.

Of course, I don't have any source books sitting at hand to check that, this is purely from memory. So correct me if I'm wrong ;)

~Sia
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:10 am

Addition to continual light spell.. what of just a new spell for sharites/drow/necromancers/maskites called continual darkness that removes the glow affect of an object?
+
It would be an enchantment spell...but it would also be pretty low level...I would say any guild that would get continual light.
=
Either new spell Continual dark(ness) or Cast continual light (darker/softer)