[SPELL] Haste/Slow

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Leveran
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

[SPELL] Haste/Slow

Post by Leveran » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:10 am

Really, I'm sorta surprised we don't have this already? Even if haste is deemed to powerful, I think slow would be a great wiz debuff. Group/mass spells of same names could be nice too.
Julthain
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Re: [SPELL] Haste/Slow

Post by Julthain » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:17 pm

Slow would make a good 3-4 level spell. Either Illusion or Enchantment IMO. Most likely 4th level enchantment... if it is still deemed too powerful, you could allow targets a chance to save.

Maybe something like:

Slow
=====
Enchantment (Charm)
Range: Ranged Touch
Target: Offensive
syntax: cast "slow" <target>

This spell allows the caster to cloud the opponents mind, causing them to move sluggishly and move less agile(possible temporary dex debuff?). The opponent can save to negate the effects.

Or you could up the spell level to around 6-7 and make it an area of effect:

Slow
=====
Enchantment (Charm)
Range: Area
Target: Offensive
syntax: cast "slow" <target>

This spell allows the caster to cloud the minds of opponents up to a range of 50 ft., causing them to move sluggishly and less agile. If no target is given, this spell affects all that are not grouped with the caster. Targets can save to negate the effects.
Thus, that which is the most awful of evils, death, is nothing to us, since when we exist there is no death, and when there is death we do not exist.
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alaudrien » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:44 pm

These are the spells as of 3.5 taken from D20srd.org Hmm having slow could open other spells like arrow of bone and so on

Slow
Transmutation
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

An affected creature moves and attacks at a drastically slowed rate. A slowed creature can take only a single move action or standard action each turn, but not both (nor may it take full-round actions). Additionally, it takes a -1 penalty on attack rolls, AC, and Reflex saves. A slowed creature moves at half its normal speed (round down to the next 5-foot increment), which affects the creature’s jumping distance as normal for decreased speed.

Multiple slow effects don’t stack. Slow counters and dispels haste.

Material Component
A drop of molasses.

Haste
Transmutation
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

The transmuted creatures move and act more quickly than normal. This extra speed has several effects.

When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding. The attack is made using the creature’s full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation. (This effect is not cumulative with similar effects, such as that provided by a weapon of speed, nor does it actually grant an extra action, so you can’t use it to cast a second spell or otherwise take an extra action in the round.)

A hasted creature gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves. Any condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses.

All of the hasted creature’s modes of movement (including land movement, burrow, climb, fly, and swim) increase by 30 feet, to a maximum of twice the subject’s normal speed using that form of movement. This increase counts as an enhancement bonus, and it affects the creature’s jumping distance as normal for increased speed.

Multiple haste effects don’t stack. Haste dispels and counters slow.

Material Component
A shaving of licorice root.
I take only what I need and I need everything!

-Alyzlin
Zanven
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Zanven » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:15 pm

These spells would be a great addition to the game
Zanven, Rilun, Dalio.
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Post by Hrosskell » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:00 pm

I was just checking these over the other day, and echo. I think they'd be cool to see in game.
Jamais arriere.
Tarven
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tarven » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:46 am

I'm not sure about Haste (unless it was self only), but I think Slow would be a great wizard ability.
Nylo
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nylo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:50 am

Haste as self only might be a little unbalancing. There's already complaints about wizards being overpowered - persistent GM second attack at full bab? Its be awesome, but likely too powerful.
Nylo, Fighter of Tempus
Anver, Transmuter of Garl
Malic, Cleric of Tyr
Luthir, Druid of Mielikki
Tarven
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tarven » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:01 pm

Yeah, but as 1 round per level the duration precludes it from being overwhelmingly powerful. Especially since max wizard base attack bonus is only half of fighter's BaB, and equal to a fighter's -third- attack (of 5), I think there are some mitigating factors. People are talking about wizards being OP in the context of them bragging about clearing out endgame group quest areas using polymorph.

If made into a level 4 spell, instead of 3, it would preempt the possibility of persistent spell, and also keep it from being a potion or wand. Give it a cap of 20 rounds, 40 with extend spell (for a level 5 spell slot) and it'd be a nice, but not unbalanced, utility spell.

However, as group area or w/e, I don't see it as being any -less- unbalancing. Wizards would still get the effect, and so would their parties.

Or, just make it a bard only spell. They could use some love. <.<