Quicken Spell

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Ceir
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Quicken Spell

Post by Ceir » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:13 pm

What precisely does Quicken Spell do in this game? In third edition, it lets you cast a spell as a swift action, which allows you to cast two spells in one round (or cast a spell and attack in one round, or cast a spell and run full tilt in one round...), but I can't seem to manage the same effect in the mud. This might just be a result of incompetence on my part, if my aliases or choice of test spells are incorrect.

I tried quickened earth reaver first. Aliases like "cm +quick & c 'earth reaver' & cm -quick & c 'disintegrate'" never worked, so I made aliases to cast one spell at a time, such as "cm +quick & c 'earth reaver' %", followed by "cm -quick & c 'disintegrate'". The two spells seemed to be cast in two rounds, even though the quickened earth reaver consumed an eighth level slot. So, I tried using normal attacks to test it.

Normally when you cast an earth reaver, if the opponent fails their save, you have a round of free criticals if you choose to attack in melee (since prone is apparently a rather more unforgiving status effect in this mud than in D&D). When I tried casting a quickened earth reaver, I anticipated an instant casting time and two rounds of free criticals, since Ceir would have a free standard action in the round in which he cast. That didn't happen, so I tried one last test. I cast a normal earth reaver, followed by a quickened earth reaver, followed by a normal earth reaver. Then I cast three normal earth reavers in a row. The two trials seemed identical.

Next I tried mirror image. Being able to quickly renew that spell while maintaining the offensive was one of the big reasons I took the feat. Unfortunately, it seems that a quickened mirror image still occupies the standard action for the round.

Outside of combat, it's easy to see that quickened spells take literally less time to cast, but I can't seem to find any practical implications for this. I figure I must be missing something.
Nylo
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Quicken Spell

Post by Nylo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:51 am

It wasn't updated with the new combat system - so currently it's useless.
Nylo, Fighter of Tempus
Anver, Transmuter of Garl
Malic, Cleric of Tyr
Luthir, Druid of Mielikki
Enig
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Quicken Spell

Post by Enig » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:29 pm

Quite true, I used the same mirror image tactic before the update to actions per round and it did work then, but it doesn't any longer.