hold weapon skill

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Telnor

hold weapon skill

Post by Telnor » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:01 pm

I dont know if a skill like this is in game already or is being considered...
Syntax: This skill is automatic

This skill is automatic, once practiced. The skill causes you to grip
your weapon tightly as someone tries to disarm you, making it far more
difficult to successfully disarm you. This skill will only increase as
you are engaged in fights where someone is attempting to disarm you.
What about adding a skill like this that lets you hold your weapon tighter, so you dont fumble as much?
Jerigo
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Jerigo » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:33 am

The grip skill is (so far as I know) still in the game, in fact I think its helpfile matches what you posted verbatim. I think fighters may be the only ones who can gain it, though.
Telnor

Post by Telnor » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:36 am

It is still in game. its just the skill I have is slightly different. The grip skill improves your chances of keeping your weapon held when someone attempts to disarm you. The skill I have suggested is somewhat like the grip skill except it decreases your chances of fumbling. Learning to hold your weapon tighter etc.
Algon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Algon » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:33 pm

I like the idea of a skill like this. It does seem a little strange to me that a very seasoned fighter would still drop his weapons out of the blue. Which brings me to another question, is it just me or does it seem like you have bad days and good days when it comes to this? There have been times to where I could not keep my weapon I droped it like 3 times during the same fight. Then there are times to where I can go countless fights and never drop them. Just wondering how this is figured in the game.
Counting bodies like sheep...to the rhythm of the war drums. ~~~ Maynard
Tretch
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Tretch » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:38 pm

I am not completely sure as it still happens from time to time....but I think this kind of automatically happens as you improve with a weapon. On alts that are a Grandmaster in a class, I almost never drop it. Once in a long while maybe, but nothing like a weapon I have at Journeyman. Also, i think there are some OOC reasons why fumble is there, IE to keep people from training countless hours while not paying attention to the screen, etc. So, I am not sure if they want to reduce that too much if thats the case. I could be wrong about fumble on all counts though :P

Tretch
A young male human looks at your claw, his eyes widen, "Wha-what is that on your claw?"
You look to the claw, stopping abruptly
You yell, "Git et off! Git et off!" and begin to hop up and down, shaking your hand,
voice turning to a girlish scream!
Tyr
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tyr » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:48 pm

Grip does both. It helps you not get disarmed and it also helps you not fumble your weapon.

Tyr
Telnor

Post by Telnor » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:17 pm

Ah, Thanks Tyr :) Tretch, I dont think its actually skill level because I have GMed a weapon, and I HAVE fumbled it three to four times in the same fight :?
Lea
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Lea » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:03 am

The only problem with grip is that it never increases. I have played many hours with Lea and have never seen the skill go up once. Not sure if it is supposed to go up the more you fight using your swords or not. I know even though I have gmed my weapons I still fumble them quite a bit.

Lea
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:44 am

I think grip only goes up when your disarmed.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Wenin
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Wenin » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:17 pm

If that is true, shouldn't it also go up when it prevents you from dropping a weapon?
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:05 pm

Skills which are directly opposed to a specific other skill will I believe only increase when you successfully resist the opposed skill. Likely this is what Glim meant... that Grip will only improve when you successfully hold on to your weapon as someone attempts to Disarm you.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.