Roleplay and fantasy philosophy

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Tazmin

Roleplay and fantasy philosophy

Post by Tazmin » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:14 am

All of us come to FK to get out our urge to play the hero, or the bad guy. Many is the time we read a great series of books and go, Gee, wish I could do that. However has anyone read a book and cheered through only to put it aside and say, My god, those people just had to be the stupidest things on two legs?

The whole point to this post, which I write as I wate for my addiction er game to come back up is if present with even the smallest thing in a D&D game or a fantasy book how would you react? If you have ever read the soprano sorceress you know what I mean.

Would the person who plays Andreas leap in front of a fire breathing dragon to save someone? Would Nikkos player run though the forest baying at the moon? Would Tyrs player get a big hammer and smite those who annoyed him?

Take your fav char, place yourself in the situations that they normally encounter on a normal basis. How would you react if our mundane world was suddenly a bit less mundane? Oh, and your reply does not really have to be serious, it's all in good fun.

(Useing polymorph other to turn your boss into a purple cockatoo anyone? =) )
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:38 am

All we do icly can be verified by the situation. All those that live in the novels, the modules do are by situation. The choices are ours to make. Be it that the noblest deed oft or not will not go towards and enduring existense among the living matters little to some because they are motivated and dedicated to the decisions they make. I could be a hero or a villian, to quote Merlin "to some I am a dream to others I am a nightmare!" fits here. Heroes are forged by their actions and not just being, villians are formed by the renown and malice they create and scheme, not by being evil within their heads, but by action.

There are those that go about the mud as regular people within mindset and action. They are satisfied and live as people will live. Until the day they choose or are forced by fate to rp differently. As individuals that are rping and interacting within the bounds of a fantasy world we have all the time in the world and the choices to make. There are those who are legendary already as heroes within the books and the mud. Yet, they are still people and they make decisions and do not suddenly become what they are, In essence they mold themselves and their lives mold them. And there are some that live out their lives unknown and contently. They might be average gents but they do enough to get by in the world and seek nothing more than to live as they see fit.

Although the novel characters have to be interesting (I'm sure there are few individuals that would rather read about Drizzit's trip to the dentist than his battle against an ogre army or Demogorgon's annual tax receits) Stories have to be interesting and it must be noted that their rl is our fk. Though there might be billions of individuals in the realms and the stories only single out that expectional few that do truly great things in the world.

In essence I react as a any would. I live my life one day at a time. I do the work that seems to fit the occasion then I go eat or to bed. Who knows though what lies behind the next corner, behind the next door or will follow into the next month or season. Time will tell.
Tandria
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tandria » Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:30 pm

If I were Mira, I'd be able to sing and play the violin.

Nuff said ;).
"May your travels be Wonderful and Mysterious."
Isaldur
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isaldur » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:09 pm

If real life was more of a fantasy world and setting such as Forgotten Realms, we would all probably be exactly what we are in real life except fantasyish. Whole reason many people roleplay is so they can play and act as something that is not a boring majority type role. Adventurers make up a very small percentage of the population after all.. and with all that said and done, I'd probably be a village drunk. There's no TV, internet, or other things which means the only solace I have left is alcohol.
A sapphire haired male aasimar replies to you 'What would you get Tanya for a wedding present?'
You reply to A sapphire haired male aasimar 'A swift kick to the head. '
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:53 pm

Things would definitely be different if I were Mik in RL.

:twisted:
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:01 pm

If I were Mele irl...... just .. *cry* =P lol
Beshaba potatoes.
Nikkos

Post by Nikkos » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:01 pm

Erm, am I not supposed to be running through the woods on full moons in RL? *trots off to ponder this*

WOOF!

:wolfie
Andreas
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Andreas » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:14 pm

For me, roleplay is an escape from the every day hum-drum of life. There are bits of me in every character I play but no single character mirrors me.

If life were a fantasy world... I'd be an elven Bladesinger :D
Helm keep thee.
Ellian
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Ellian » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:31 am

In a real life fantasy world, I think I would be an Oghman, and perhaps live in a giant Candlekeep-esque library.

I also like to insert a little bit of myself into my characters. They seem more real to me (and hopefully to everyone else) when they have those little quirks, imperfections, unique traits...
For example, Ellian and his animal rights activism. :wink:

-El-
Rhelian

Post by Rhelian » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:20 am

Multiclassed pirate/sage
Selveem

Oddest thing

Post by Selveem » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:43 pm

My favorite character is a trained soldier. I like playing these type characters (disciplined fighter-type characters), but in real life I do not enjoy strict environment. I'm more free-spirited than that and I appreciate emotion far more than Selveem ever would. I suppose the reason I made him as he is, was really to challange myself to roleplay something FAR from myself. I'm a bit more like "Fox", in many ways. He doesn't excel in one specific area, but is fairly good at multiple different things; enjoys acting a specific role that may or may not truly be himself. He's artistic and very much free-spirited. That little guy's been through a lot but keeps on kicking. That's more like me than Selveem ever could be.
Rhytania
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Rhytania » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:56 pm

Me, definitely a Ranger/Fighter. Being a Marine and all its about the closest thing you can get, and I like the life. Always getting deployed and being in the field really really sucks, but after a while it grows on ya and ya start to love it. Well maybe its more of a love to hate it thing. I dunno...couldnt really see myself in a 9 - 5, office job wageslaving over a desk. It's probably the reason I love to play the woodsy outdoor types, not many can relate to living out of an alice pack for days, and in some cases weeks at a time without a shower, flushing toilets, or hot cooked meals.
8)
Rotha

Post by Rotha » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:15 am

I bet if I was in the FK world I'd sit around in a library or in my home (if I had one) and fantasize about being someone else anyway. :P Either that or be a bard busking on the streets for coppers.
Tandria
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tandria » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:15 am

On second thought, I'd be a HUUUUGE combo of a bunch of my chars, but I think what I'd REALLY want to do is POLYMORPH!! Or shapechange! I have ALWAYS WANTED to change myself into an animal. I would LOVE that. Fly, too. I think I'd be a transmuter. Then I could polymorph, fly, and change water into Pepsi. . . .
"May your travels be Wonderful and Mysterious."
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:30 am

Druid.

If I was any of my characters in real life, I would probably be a mix between my Druid of Mielikki and my Priest of Malar. (isnt that just a druid of Silvanus?)

I love the woods and camping and if I had the knowledge, nothing would make me happier than living like a hermit in the woods living off my knowledge of the land. Of course, I would hafta be a multiclass druid/sorcerer.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:26 am

I would probably be a mage... Oghman, of course, because they rock and because I am really an Oghman in RL. I would spend all my life researching, and then once I was an archmage, and able to travel the Planes, I would leave our "fantasised RL" in favour of the real Forgotten Realms... possibly killing some githyanki in the Astral Plane first, and perhaps... just perhaps... visiting Carceri to say hello to all those poor imprisoned people- I might bring them a book or two, to keep them occupied...

*goes of on many, many tangents*
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Timaeus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Timaeus » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:52 am

For me I would likely be a dwarven warrior and personal guard for someone of influence such as a noble, rich merchant or royalty, as that is actually my real world occupation and no its not glamorous like in the movie 'The Bodyguard' its really quite dull 98% of the time.

For my recreational time I would be ranger of Eldath or Shialla, there is very little I require to survive that I can not get from the woods I have been around most of my life and it takes a fair amount of pushing to get me angry. I also prefer the solace of being alone for the most part in these past few years.
AKA Tycho, Lamorak, Kayne, Uthric
Talamar
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Talamar » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:31 pm

For me it's a toss up.

Psionics. I'd be a Psion in a heartbeat, but I've been in love with them since 2nd Ed. D&D, and my joy in the continues with the new Expanded Psionics Handbook.

Otherwise, I'd have to agree with Andreas. Elven Bladesinger all the way. Magic AND Sharp pointy objects? I'm in heaven right there.
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:31 pm

If it were real, I'd like to be an old man sitting around playing the bagpipes.

I'd also enjoy being a dentist and a confectioner. :D

The middle class life of a merchant is also appealing, but I find retirement and age often free up alot of time to sit around and contemplate anything and everything.
Opia

Post by Opia » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:00 pm

I'd basically be Opia, with some pirateering, a dash more magic, and I suppose I'd be at least a little less obsessed with beauty and all.

:lol: