Roadsigns - no more confused travellers please

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Blarc
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Roadsigns - no more confused travellers please

Post by Blarc » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:45 am

I think it's weird that this one isn't in the game yet, or it might be and I'm just blind. But I think it would make travelling much easier for new folks, or those who just can't remember the way from place A to B.
I don't think it would be too hard to add some signs to each road intersection on the worldmap, so that one can see where each turn would take him/her.
Kaaurk
Sword Master
Sword Master

Re: Roadsigns - no more confused travellers please

Post by Kaaurk » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:51 pm

There is also a map available to you! Not to hard to figure out where you are when you look at it.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:24 pm

Cormyr has road signs because it is a civilized country that would do that. I am not sure about the rest of the world, but it's not beyond the pale. I imagine that merchants and traders would plant signs here and there.

Where do you think would be a good place for one? Is there somewhere that gets confusing?
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:32 pm

I think only the Dalelands would have them. The North would probably avoid persistent signage.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Melusine
Staff
Staff

Post by Melusine » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:14 am

The best places for them would be at where they'd be in real life, at where there's road crossings or where it forks. This way to A town, that way to B city. Seems a very practical suggestion. Especially on roads that are traveled heavily, you'd expect them there.
Anastacia Syria, Truescar of Loviatar
Casamir
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Casamir » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:04 am

Additionally at city entrance/exit rooms. We could even approximate the number of road tiles for distance. No reason to say an in character merchant or adventuring guild might not also sponsor signs, if relying on the various nations to promote them is unlikely.
"Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!" "'Tis as impossible that he's undrowned as he that sleeps here swims." "I'm begging you please wake me up, In all my dreams I...."
Vibius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vibius » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:09 am

Also and particularly in those roads more likely to be visited to new players (ie, area around Waterdeep and the quests related to the express deliveries)
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:36 pm

I added one more road sign into the game at the crossroads of the Coast Way and Trade Way (that three way intersection south of WD and Daggerford). Let me know what you think, please.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Larethiel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Larethiel » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:50 am

Very pretty :)
Weit in der Champagne im Mittsommergrün,
dort, wo zwischen Grabkreuzen Mohnblumen blühn,
da flüstern die Gräser und wiegen sich leicht
im Wind, der sanft über das Gräberfeld streicht.