Who is your favourite FR novel character?

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Algon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Who is your favourite FR novel character?

Post by Algon » Thu May 27, 2004 6:56 pm

Just thought that I would start a little poll about who is your favorite character from the whole Forgotten Realms novels. Give a name and a reason why they are your favorite.

As for myself I have only read a few of the novels, but I would have to say it would be Artemis Entreri, simply for the fact that he stood toe to toe with, who could be consider the most famous character of them all, Drizzt.
Artemis is a human and fights with a sword and a dagger and can still sometimes outmatch Drizzt. Hmmm....I also like Wolfgar alot too. :D
I really look foreward to reading all the responses. ( It will give me something to do at work.)
:wink:
Tandria
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tandria » Thu May 27, 2004 8:08 pm

Midnight!

Midnight is without a doubt my favourite. She's a mage, she kicks butt, and she's not all like "I'm a woman and therefore I need to stay at home and cook blahblah" and she made sure people knew that she wasn't a wuss just because she was a chickie. And Midnight also became Mystra, and that's pretty cool.

Yeah, Midnight. :P
"May your travels be Wonderful and Mysterious."
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Thu May 27, 2004 8:36 pm

Robyn, from the Moonshae stories... they were the first EVER Forgotten Realms books I ever read, and I loved her. The way she has so much faith in the Earthmother... then when that goddess dies, she slowly turns into a cleric of Chauntea... yep, Robyn.

I hate Newt, though. That fairy dragon really made me see red.
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Andreas
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

RE: Favourite FR character

Post by Andreas » Thu May 27, 2004 8:59 pm

Hrmm... toss up for me between Artemis Entreri and Danilo Thann.

I love Artemis's cold-blooded dedication to his work. I feel the character has developed very well over time and can't wait to see more of him in the future!

Danilo is just hilarious. Who can resist such a dandy? Espcially one who just plays at being a fop in order to serve the Harpers!
Helm keep thee.
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Thu May 27, 2004 9:07 pm

I love Dove. I just think she's great. :D

~Danica
Beshaba potatoes.
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Thu May 27, 2004 9:20 pm

Marco Volo! :D
Flamboyant, pragmatic, brilliant, insane, a snazzy dresser and Elminster's mental equal (sort of...um..a little...) Volo, the man that is so well traveled that countries cringe as he steps into them, from Cormyr to the North, from the South, to the West, to the East, to up and to down, he's been everywhere. He's the everyman, the perfect traveller, never really wanting trouble and always finding it. Always looking for the best inn and always leaving in the worst possible way. I love Volo because he embodies the furious life of the realms and some how he always seems to come out calm and composed and if he's lucky, alive :D.

Uther, who would not love to have a polite, cultured butler with the features of a denzien of the Abyss?

Jergal, the Pittiless one. A god that in essence gives up his power to become something less while never losing faith in himself, in doing so bassically becoming an observer in all things and being able to provide limitless wisdom and a Spock-like attitude.
Isaldur
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isaldur » Thu May 27, 2004 9:22 pm

If I really had to pick out of every FR Novel character, it would be Erevis Cale. His development in all the novels he is in makes him a perfect sympathetic villian, yet a villian none the less.
A sapphire haired male aasimar replies to you 'What would you get Tanya for a wedding present?'
You reply to A sapphire haired male aasimar 'A swift kick to the head. '
Ellian
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Ellian » Thu May 27, 2004 9:24 pm

I think Artemis is awesome. It seems like everywhere he goes the action of the story always surrounds him. He'd be my favourite.

Jarlaxle follows a close second. I like his attitude toward the female drow and how powerful he is in a matriarchial society. I love the way Salvatore describes his clothes and all the weapons and magical items he carries, too. :)

-El-
Ellian + Smelly = Smellian.
Fayona
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Fav. Char

Post by Fayona » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:02 pm

Tzigone- From the Counselors & Kings, she not only kicks butt, is strong, smart, tricky, has a sense of humor, and is very beautiful! Knowing how to dress, and speak to men. She is what you would call the perfect women. Oh yes, I would have to say Tzigone.
:lol:
-Never Deny The True Feelings Of Your Heart.
Talamar
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Talamar » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:20 pm

Danilo Thann, incredibly gifted wizard, and bard. Elfsong, and has soo many troubles on his shoulders, but he never loses his sense of humor.

I also really like Zaor. In Evermeet he just ROCKED. Ranger, Moonfighter, Eagle Rider, and reluctant King. Absolutely fascinating character. Combine that with his overwhelming love for the undisputed Queen of the Elves.

Yeah, if I had to pick just one. Zaor.
Yonna

Post by Yonna » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:19 pm

Pikel Bouldershoulder is near the top of my list...He brings so much humor to the druidic circle.

Artemis Entreri, because of his connection with his work and his devotion to what he does.

Wulfgar is definitely one of my favorites...One of the reasons I cannot wait for barbarians to come around. :twisted:

Drizzt is a model for everyone, he decides his fate and does not always do what other people see as the ordinary. He also makes a great friend.

As you can tell i've only read the drizzt novels as of right now.
Elenthis
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Elenthis » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:26 am

I know this may be a huge suprise, but I just finished reading the novel 'elminster' and I must say...his being able to not only deal with women, but actually -be- a woman, puts him #1 on my list...
not to mention being able to defeat a dragon, mindflayer, -and- beholder all at the same time? Yeah...Elminster for me.
Far away and across the field, the tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their knees to hear the softly spoken magic spell.
Echet
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Echet » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:17 pm

Pharaun Mizzrym. Oh yeah. Excellent wizard with a devil-may-care 'tude towards his obvious superiors, and the mettle to back his tongue. Definately Pharaun.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:34 pm

Zaknafein Do'Urden. A light within consuming darkness. Kept Drizzt from losing his morales and did his best to do good in a city of pure evil. And ultimately gave his life for his son. Not to mention the greatest weapon master in Menzo's history and one of the most feared male drows. My favorite character of FR.

N.R.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Villis

Post by Villis » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:25 am

I'm a definite fan of Erevis Cale and his pal Jak Fleet. Interesting dynamic between Cale and most of his acquaintences.

Likewise my first favorite for humor was Pikel Bouldershoulder. I can't tell you how many times I was waiting to hear a good "Oo oi!" :)
Zilvryn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Zilvryn » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:29 pm

Zaknafein Do'Urden - For the same reasons as Nysan...

and Artemis Entreri for pure meanness... I also like the way they show Artemis having to come to terms with his humanity and aging in the more recent FR novels...

Cool chars and I couldnt pick between them tbh...

Ed
Llanthyr
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Llanthyr » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:59 pm

Jarlaxle and Danillo Thann. They both have that flair, that indifferent seeming attitude, the ease in which they accomplish things. They handle things calmly, seldom get excited.

Everis Cale and Drizzt's gang are too much of egomaniacs for my liking, though I quite enjoy Artemis Entreri. I love the elves (Evermeet, Myth Drannor stories)
Elvoriel

Post by Elvoriel » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:36 am

I've got a few, so here they are in order

Artemis Entreri, see above, he is the best.

Jarlaxle, pragmatic, opertunist, I just love him.

I also have a sweet spot for the usual, Drizzt, Elminster etc, but here is some that aren't mentioned are:

Fzoul Chembryl, a High Priest of Xvim (was Bane) from Zhentil Keep, I always loved his style.

Shandril, the poor girl who wields Spellfire when everyone wants it. Awesome power I love her in both Spellfire and Crown of Fire, and I HATE her husband, the illusionist.... such a pansy.
Belose
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Belose » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:32 pm

I'm reading The Ogre's Pact trilogy right now, and I have got to say I love Avner... the "Little Dragon!" and Tavis Burdan.. he is one smart Firbolg...though Basil the Verbeeg does have his moments...
What the Mind of a man can conceive, the Will of a man can achieve.
Velsavius

Favorite FR character

Post by Velsavius » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:20 am

Like most, I enjoy reading about Artemis and Drizz't, but another who may not be as well known that I really enjoy is that of Erevis Cale, A thief in Sembia who turns Cleric. One of the reasons I like him is that, he's not entirely a good guy. He's a very loyal person though and he does what he must to get the job done.....