Order of attacks in first ground of group combat

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Tamryn
Sword Master
Sword Master

Order of attacks in first ground of group combat

Post by Tamryn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Currently, when a group wanders into an aggressive mob (or a group member attacks a mob), other group members don't start combat until the mob's attack round against the group member. This is particularly unfortunate for thieves, as it means we very rarely get a chance to sneak attack in groups unless the mob happens to attack the thief first. It also reduces the benefit of the Improved Initiative feat, as well as high dex, because even group members who should win initiative will miss the first round.

I think it would be better if, as soon as combat starts (i.e., the "So-and-so approaches you and prepares to engage you in combat!" message), all group members are considered to be in combat as though they'd all typed "kill"; then the MUD rolls initiative for everyone, and combat proceeds as normal.
Luliana
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Re: Order of attacks in first ground of group combat

Post by Luliana » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:35 am

Agreed, that is the whole point of initiative in D&D. It also seems to happen when one mob dies and you need to retarget, but the new target is targeting a different group member.
Alexan
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Re: Order of attacks in first ground of group combat

Post by Alexan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Just remember an imperfect solution to this is turning off auto assist. Normally that gives me at least one sneak attack, though maybe that's only when I'm hiding. I'll test it out more.
I put on my robe and wizard hat.