Supplicated items and you.

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Thirthen
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Supplicated items and you.

Post by Thirthen » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:58 pm

What does everyone think about these currently? Noticed some faiths have duplicate enchants across some items and they just seem... I dunno, very ungodly. I'd think that IC-wise a deity given gift would be a tad more powerful, just in consideration that a God crafted it and the intricacies of faithing and getting up the favor for them. And maybe be more normal looking or something.
Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Supplicated items and you.

Post by Alitar » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:09 pm

I think a servant of their deity ought to be happy with whatever item they're given. Sometimes the supplication items might not be completely balanced between faiths but I'm afraid you really shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.
"The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armour. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time."
~Frank Miller
Thirthen
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Thirthen » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:39 pm

Meant duplicate enchants in the same faith. Like, the holy symbol you get from the beginning will have an enchant and then 1 or even 2 of the supplicates have the same one or it is class-based so it's like you used all that favor for nothing when you could've just saved it for a raise or a recall... It ain't really a gift if I already had it to start with. I've seen a lot of PCs that don't even wear them at all beyond the symbol, apparently because the random reward for doing something like killing rats is better than the gift from their Lord? :|

So yeah... I'm staring right at that horse's mouth and looking for cavities.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:35 am

Glancing over my notes about the supplicated objects, there are a few with redundant and therefore useless enchantments (+1 stat x 2, for example). Those are usually paired with some other enchantment, but could be more useful.

Feel free, in general, to make suggestions via Bug Reporting or Applications (hidden forums for most people) if you want to recommend upgrades.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Thirthen
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Thirthen » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:18 am

Since some skills can be cross-classed to a small extent through items now or existing skills boosted some, they could probably be a little more complex than just a raw attribute bonus.

Faiths that revolve around magic might have a +2 to +4 in spellcraft or maybe even something like one item is +2 to concentration and then another would be +2 to spellcraft.

A knowledge religion like Oghma might have some spectacles that can cast read magic 1 to 3 times per day or they could be more scholarly-style specs that can cast comprehend languages.

A stealthy following might have a cloak that has the 'hoodon' feature and gives a bonus to hide, so they can mundanely conceal identity via cloaking their short desc with the hood or actually have a small degree of hiding completely.

Most skill items I have seen are set at +4, with the exception of a few more exclusive ones having +1 or +2. At no skill at all I think a +4 is one rank and equals amateur level.

I'm not sure what the ceiling is for supplicates... I'm leaning towards items that give small perks that reflect the nature of the religion mostly. I completely understand they shouldn't be almighty game-breakers. :)

I was thinking something like:

Symbol: +2 attribute that reflects personality of the religion.

Supp 1: Small ability per day item.

Supp 2: Skill item.

Supp 3: I'm not so sure about this being viable, but I have seen some items that grant feats... maybe intermediates like linguist for scholars, packrat for crafter religions, you know, stuff people rarely would spend a feat point for anyways unless they are overflowing with points to spare. Not sure how it would work with feat reqs.

If you could give me kind of minimum to maximum on what would be acceptable it would be easier to work around with. I'll go the whole 9 and write descriptions and all if that's cool and post it into bugs. I'll probably stick to faiths I've played and have lore on for the bugs post.