Death: pain or opportunity?

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Paxos

Supplicate Resurrection

Post by Paxos » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:41 am

After I supplicated for resurrection today (second time Paxos has) I looked at my score, only to see the Level 41 I had gained earlier was now Level 40 with 52% experience.

The help file for resurrection states:

Resurrection works from anywhere and does not incur a loss of experience. The resurrected players is still left on their corpse, or where it fell when they died. It is the best option for returning from death but also
the hardest to get.

It also states:

A follower of a deity who's favor is high enough may "supplicate
resurrection" which has the same results as the resurrection spell.

The help file is misleading on the experience loss area, and I wondered if this were a bug or a bad help file...

Paxos
Sune
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Supplicate Resurrection

Post by Sune » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:17 am

You would have lost the experience when you died, not when you resurrected.

Sune
Sune
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Sune » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:01 pm

Oh.. another thing I thought of afterwards, fleeing takes experience.. so if you fled many times to leave a battle and ended up dying, that could explain the loss of experience too.

Sune
Paxos

Post by Paxos » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:39 pm

Ilmater lets you flee at 0% experience without losing anymore
Sune
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Sune » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:40 pm

Alright then, well stick to my first post then - you lost it when you died.

Sune
Elrior

supplicate resurrection

Post by Elrior » Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:00 am

I alos had problems with this. I was playing my priest and he had died. While I was in the realm of the dead I hit my score chart and it said I still had all my exp that I had gained before dieing. I the supplicated resurrection and it took me to 0%. Is this just a misunderstanding of the help files, a bug, or something I am doing?
Mask
Staff
Staff

Death: pain or opportunity?

Post by Mask » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:44 pm

I'm looking for some ideas on how to make death less of a drag and more of an RP oppurtunity.

Some ideas I've already gathered are:

1. Have the spirit hang around the body for a while after death, before disappearing off to the realms of the dead.
2. Allow the spirits in the realms of the dead to briefly manifest themselves in the real world in some ghostly body. Possibly necromancers would be able to manifest themselves as more powerful forms of undead such as wraiths etc.

Any other ideas ?

Marty
Fayona
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Fayona » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:05 pm

Well,
Ofcorse this would take some coding time which I know you all are busy with but an idea might be to make the realms of the dead a bit more active, maybe have some active mobs as ghostly spirits and such floating around the realms of dead, telling why there. Just an idea. :)
Fay
-Never Deny The True Feelings Of Your Heart.
Elwin
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Elwin » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:30 pm

I think that's a great idea Fay :) .You could even have some quests there if you wanted.
From your friendly neighborhood ranger :)
Exer
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Exer » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:12 am

One RP where I was involved it, I got killed and turned into a ghost. I could see everyone and hear them but the living couldn't. I think they felt a presence but that was it. I would have to 'tell' so as to communicate.

It created a really neat RP. Maybe something along those lines? Sometimes you ghost otherwise, it's straight to the realm of the dead.
Gratey
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Gratey » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:11 am

I was thinking maybe the realms of the dead could be a little bigger and this is just a thought to take the drag out of get a priest or ask a god have a quest if you follow a god you have to do somthing for a avatar of the god to be raised Jsut a thought though
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:25 am

An idea mentioned elsewhere by Mask is the one of necromancers being able to posses the body of a wraith or something similar to wander the realms for a time. Perhaps this can be done in a skill necromancers could aquire called possession and uses with the syntax posses <wraith/greater wraith> location. The wraith or greater wraith would depend on level you have with the skill and actual level of the character and the location would be either a pc or npc.

Also along the lines of manifestation and possession of a corpse to be a wraith perhaps it would be an idea to have this dependant on the amount of mana you have. A fighter would be able to manifest for a shorter time then say a priest or a wizard. Just thoughts =)
Sparlow

Dying

Post by Sparlow » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:40 am

I remember that RP Exer, it was pretty cool. Ghosts can 'speak', but only to one person at a time....I think Summer went through a similar thing for a while, while she was being returned to life.

I like the idea of people being able to manifest themselves on the mortal plane, instead of being trapped in the realms. They'd be compltely invisible unless a priest had the 'speak with dead' spell active, sort of a specialized 'see invisible' spell. That way, people could roam across Faerun, maybe trying to make their presence known by rattling doors and making noises to lead people to their corpses, like we hear ghosts occasionally do.

As for the Realms of the dead, it would be a hell of a lot of fun to actually code in Kelemvor's City of the dead, where parishoners go after they fall. I will even volunteer to help build it if you decide to go that way. We're always talking about how Kelemvor judges after death, but this would make things much more realistic. If someone decides that they really want to be judged, they can go to Kelemvor's tower and present themselves (e.g. favour/kismet check).

And all those Kelemvorites would finally have an excuse to stay dead once they bite the dust.

-Sparlow
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:22 am

Just a thought, not sure how feasible... perhaps another "realm of the dead" for elves? (and orcs/dwarves, not sure if they get separate places). I'm sure I remember that elves get taken to Arvandor, so perhaps creating an area for elves, where they really have to RP the choice between the joy and light of Arvandor, and the families and loves they have left behind.

It seems that many elves, (me included, though I try) seem to forget that little tidbit, and I am sure if it was coded, it would be RPed slightly better.

Just a thought. I too think the ideas of quests at deathtime would be good.

Perhaps in the far future... we can even have the planes built? Now THAT would be a great opportunity...
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Gratey
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Gratey » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:38 am

Or there might be like a place for evil characters and good characters maybe like heaven and hell
Fayona
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Fayona » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:12 pm

oOOoOoo..Sorry.. :roll:
But I think it would be a bit funer and apply more rp in staying around the body before you actully go off into the realms. That would be cool, to have more rp with the haunting as well. As Sparlow said with the hauntings.
-Never Deny The True Feelings Of Your Heart.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:36 am

Though, some people might be even more annoying as ghosts *coughs and points at no one in particular* :D
Eriabeth

Post by Eriabeth » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:56 am

Exer, I remember that roleplay...I had been under the impression that it was the other way around - we could all see and hear you, but you couldn't hear us. It might have just been my character, though. Everyone else in the square was kind of acting like she was crazy. :)
Elenthis
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Elenthis » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:59 am

I think that we might try something a little differant. What if we had mobs in the realms of the dead, much like Fay has the idea of (excellent idea) but they not only told thier story, but you could learn other things from them...sort of like faith-information quests that might come in for temples?
~Elenthis.
Far away and across the field, the tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their knees to hear the softly spoken magic spell.
Belose
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Belose » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:23 pm

Oh, RP as a ghost.... :shock: I did... 8) and it was one of the best RP's I've ever had.... I could use emotes but I couldn't talk or use tells. VERY hard to get information across that way.... :? and if a certain person who I RPed with a LOT haden't been there to see something that we RPed a lot with, I could STILL be haunting that stable 8) , probably... maybe.. I'm sure the IMM would have taken pity :wink: ..hehehe...I think Andreas was there for that one....
What the Mind of a man can conceive, the Will of a man can achieve.