A Note About Renames

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

A Note About Renames

Post by Harroghty » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:43 am

Just a reminder that objects with programs are not eligible to be renamed because, while we can change the appearance of a single instance of an object, changing the program must be done to every instance of the object. Thanks.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Kailen
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Re: A Note About Renames

Post by Kailen » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:13 pm

Have a couple of questions regarding renames in general.

1. The help file states that a rename includes changing all of the objects descriptions, but provided there is no conflict (ie, the object doesn't have a short description), is it necessary to do all of them?

2. If you have multiple objects you would like renamed, is it better to do a 'mass application', or to spread them out?
“There is no beautifier of complexion, or form, or behavior, like the wish to scatter joy and not pain around us.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:54 pm

To answer your first question, let me begin by clarifying the terminology:

Short Description: a big sword (what you see when it is equipped)
Long Description: A big sword lies here. (what you see when it is on the ground)
Name: sword big (the keywords to which it answers)
Extra Description: A big sword looks really well made. (what you see if type 'look sword')

The short answer though, is that yes, you can change all of those or one of those. Any combination so long as (as you pointed out) they match.

To answer your second question: submit in any way. It may take a day longer for an administrator to find the time to knock out a big request, but it's all the same in the end.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Post by Hrosskell » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:29 am

Just out of curiosity, does this include simple recolors? Also, what constitutes a program in this context exactly? For example, I know my amulet lets me "tell", my spellpouch lets me act as though the items are in my inventory, and a bracer casts a spell on me. I have an inkling that the bracer is the only one that can't be renamed, but I'm not sure why.
Jamais arriere.