Forgotten Kingdoms Java client

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Mask
Staff
Staff

Forgotten Kingdoms Java client

Post by Mask » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:29 am

Hi there,

I put together a very rudimentary client for Forgotten Kingdoms, which is very much a work in progress. It supports VT and a command history, as well as stacking commands with the ';' key. It also supports fully customisable colour.

If you are stuck using a basic telnet client, you might find this slightly better.

You can find a link to it at:

http://www.skynet.ie/~martin/fang

Note that it is written in Java and uses Java Web Start, so you'll need a new Java Runtime Environment, and you can find a link on the page above to a download site for it.

When you run it, you will get a message from Java Web Start saying 'It is highly reccomended not to install and run this code'. This is a security feature of Java Web Start which prevents people from doing 'bad things' to your computer. Since this client only connects to FK when requested to, as well as maintaining it's own settings in a file, it is perfectly safe to ignore the warning and just click 'Start'.

Give it a try, and give me some feedback. I hope it's useful to someone :-)

Mart
Hannarr

Post by Hannarr » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:45 am

So *that* is what the full VT102 terminal looks like! Cool!

Downloading was fast, even on my connection that never gets above 26.4 (the bad part of living in a remote rural area). The application loads quickly and runs smoothly, and it is happy to use the version of Java Desktop Client included in Mac OS 10.2.8. Colors appear to be true - no need to adjust foreground 8. The only thing I'd wish for is the ability to adjust the font size - or would that garble the prompt?

I'll change my screen res and give it another go later (when more players are on) so that I can assess it fully, but right now it appears to be an excellent solution. Thank you for doing this; if it's as robust as it appears to be, I think it will be the client of choice for many.

- M/H
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:07 pm

It should be able to use any non-proportional font...I'll add the ability for the user to change the font some time in the next week or so....I just used a font which looked good for me on Linux, I only tested it on MacOS and Windows for about 10 seconds each to make sure that it worked even slightly...:-)

I'm glad you found it useful.

Marty
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:58 am

Hmm, sounds as if you don't have the correct version of Java installed. You should be using Java 1.4.2 or later, as that's the version that has Java Web Start built in.

If you do have the right version of Java, you should have a Java Web Start option somewhere in your start menu. Try running it from there, and in the location field type in the URL to the jnlp file, which is:

http://www.skynet.ie/~martin/fang/fang.jnlp

You might have more luck that way.

Marty
Timaeus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Timaeus » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:30 am

Still running smoothly for me. I've updated from website or just by opening the client when you've done the upgrades.

Mack.
AKA Tycho, Lamorak, Kayne, Uthric
Tretch
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Tretch » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:24 pm

I am "Unable to launch" it....it shuts down rather quickly. It loads up for a sec, but then it probably hits a block. Blasted tech peoples!!!

Tretch
A young male human looks at your claw, his eyes widen, "Wha-what is that on your claw?"
You look to the claw, stopping abruptly
You yell, "Git et off! Git et off!" and begin to hop up and down, shaking your hand,
voice turning to a girlish scream!
Cyric
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Cyric » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:59 am

Works GREAT on my machine. Honestly. There are just 2 functions I would like to see added if at all possible.

1) Click-highlighting -- Currently, Zmud is able to "click" highlight the text on the output screen. This is helpful when looking at item numbers, etc. as a builder. Just double click, and it copies a word to the clipboard. =)

2) A pruned buffer -- The buffer is great, but currently, it carries too much. I walk around for a good hour, and it's filled up and lagging my mud reception. I simply restart fang, and it's fine. But I think the buffer length is what lags me.

Other than that -- Why did I pay for Zmud? =P
Gratey
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Gratey » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:33 am

Personally I think this is better than telnet. I can see what I'm typing!!!!!!
Elwin
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Elwin » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:11 am

*words the question politely*

Mask does the java client have its own alias system. I find that I use more than the 20 provided by the actual game, and I think it would be a worthwhile feature for the java client to have.

THANK YOU.
From your friendly neighborhood ranger :)
Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:47 am

runs laggy on my comp...and no way to reset the vt

EDIT: I have a iBook G4 with everything up to date
Paskry

Post by Paskry » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:25 pm

I would have to agree a way to Refresh would be nice

Thats about all,
Paskry
Legault
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Legault » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:17 am

Thanks a bunch for the hard work Mask! Iwas stuck with the basic telnet, but I love your client. Thanks a lot!
Legault, Kesno, Balmek, Nezbit
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:12 pm

Hi there,

I made the source code for fang available from the main page (ie, here: http://www.skynet.ie/~martin/fang/). Hopefully some-one might have the time, skill or inclination to make whatever changes are needed, required or requested in it.

If you do make changes, post in this thread and let me know so I can incorporate your changes back into my version...

Cheers!

Marty
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:29 pm

Hmm I was tinkering around with it. Then I just downloaded version 1.5 from java.com

Works fine for me.... Connects to the MUD and all.
Zach

Post by Zach » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:12 am

any way to copy the screan? or to log it?
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:21 am

EDIT:removed uneeded photo
Last edited by Japcil on Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach

Post by Zach » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:24 am

no no no, like select, copy, paste, like, highlight important things and copy and paste them in word or what not
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:26 am

Thats the thing I didnt change anything to my knowledge. All i did was run a debugger using a freeware program called JCreator LE and upgraded my java to the latest version and wah la. It worked.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:17 pm

It seems there is some confusion to Mask's post. He isn't asking anyone to test and see if it works. We know it works. He is saying that he has made the code available to anyone who is proficient at such things so that they can improve upon what is already there.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:57 pm

The link to download fang does not appear to be working anymore, I get a link saying the file has been removed.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)