Stats

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Gratey
Sword Master
Sword Master

Stats

Post by Gratey » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:55 am

Could not find anything on this subject on any other posts, But what about stat like (Dex,Str,Con,Lck,Wis,Int,Cha) being able to be raised more when you do the certain stat more times Like dexterity the more time you run you start getting faster and so on. The more books you read the more wisdom you get so on and so forth I just wanted to get this out there as I thought it was a good idea and had been pondering it for quite some time. The only ones I dont see possible for doing so is Lck and Cha maybe Cha is one you are able to do I jsut havent thought of a rational idea for it
Tychina

Post by Tychina » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:59 am

mm logically the more books you read, the smarter you'd get, asusming you aren't just reading junk. The more you work out, the stronger you'd get etc. But, then you have the problem of control, pretty soon everyone would be maxing out all of their stats. I love the idea of being able to learn and advance from say reading, and have thought about it before, but did not mention it for I see no way to maintain control.
Andreas
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

RE: Stats

Post by Andreas » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:20 pm

As you level, you gain stat points. You can also purchase stat points with glory. I think the current system works just fine.
Helm keep thee.
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:31 pm

I agree with Andreas that the current system works well. You could always RP getting stronger when you get a stat point or something along those lines. I also agree with Tychina there would be no control over stats and soon everyone would have maxed out stats.
Elwin
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Elwin » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:32 am

Yeah, this just doesn't strike me as a good idea. Too much room for abuse. The current system works just fine for me. With all the new quests that have been submitted, gaining glory should be no problem.
From your friendly neighborhood ranger :)
Elvoriel

Post by Elvoriel » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:10 am

The only way this method could work is to control people by limiting how many times you can increase your stat points... which means capping you at say 15 stat increases, or counter-weighing one stat for another (str over int etc)....

I havent ever 'purchased' anything with glory points so I cannot say how balanced that is in comparison. However I can say it seems very much impossible that a super fit, overly muscled person could ever be a super intelligent person einstein at the same time. One just wouldnt have enough time to study / train both, even elves and dwarves would struggle at this.
Stayne
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Stayne » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:29 am

As others have stated, the stat system is fine how it is. What sets your charecters apart really is your skills and what you choose to develop and learn.
Instead of a big thick tome increasing a stat what about the if the tome is a big relegious text on a specific faith. Reading it might increase your Knowledge-Religion skill, a reflection of what your charecters has learned.
While not every book will, it is certainly feasable to have such things in the game.
This of course can apply to a wide range of things, and you will find that currently in the game, many things already do improve your charecter, and builders are aware that they can use such.
Though of course if you have suggestions for more or ideas to implement, please post them as they are all more than welcomed.

S.
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:16 pm

Perhaps if there was a system off Elvoriel's idea. Where instead of going to a trainer to train lets say intelligence, you could buy books and read them then when you learned that one point of intelligence it could take away from your stat point you get from leveling. Like the current system but instead of just training it reading, etc. There are some flaws though: A figter has one point left he wants to train his strength but he wants to read a book as well. He reads a few books and there goes his point.
There is also unfortunately some opportunities for abuse.
Arnon

Post by Arnon » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:54 pm

You also have to remember that training for stats is basically doing just that, reading, or exercising or other things that would increase that stat.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Glory points in the present tense

Post by Raona » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:49 pm

Can anyone speak authoritatively as to the current options for Glory points?
Can they currently be exchanged for Stat or Feat points?
I have read elsewhere as to how it would be done, but also that the system was being suspended/removed.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:07 pm

As far as I know, it is possible to exchange glory for stat and feat points in game currently, by paying the shopkeeper at Aurora's shop in Waterdeep.

Note that the whole thing is OOC.

I'm planning to drop down the costs in the future (since it's OOC, it does not make much sense that people have to pay 20 platinum or 40 platinum coins to change glory points into feat/stat points), but I'm not sure yet when that will be done. So ... if you are running low on cash, wait till this is changed.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:11 pm

On a side note, I "would" like to see one little log indicating how many books my character has read...
Chars: Aryvael et all.