item limits

For builders to discuss and ask building questions.
Legault
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

item limits

Post by Legault » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:35 am

So after reading a few of the forums I came upon the fact that if I can only have 50 items, and a merchant in my area sells something such as,
a waterskin for example, if he has a supply of 25 waterskins that means I can only have 25 more Items? And if so, can I make it so each individual player can only buy one of something from a specific merchant?

Thanks- Legault
Legault, Kesno, Balmek, Nezbit
Stayne
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Stayne » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:23 am

Actually it doesn't work like that. If you for example, have a custom waterskin for sale on a merchant in your area, then in the reset section you will define how many they sell. This number is not how many they hold, but how many are currently "in the game" before the merchant will say "I am out of stock" and sell no more.
The Item VNUM limit for your area is how many items you can build. If you have 50 vnums, you can build 50 individual items numbered from 0 to 49) of which can be sold as many copies of, up to the limit you place on the merchant.

As a side note, if you use a generic item from Limbo/Waterdeep (like the generic travelers waterskin for example), then take into account that there may already be alot out there and set your number fairly high. Using an item from this list (Check the boards for what this list is as you can't use items from any other areas) also does not count as using a VNUM since you did not build up a numbered item in your area for it.

Hope that helps
Stu.
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:03 pm

A related question,

Is it code-acceptable to put -1 as your limit? For something simple like a loaf of bread? That way there would be no limit. But if that is not an acceptable range, would something like 500 be appropriate? Thanks!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Legault
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Legault » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:50 pm

Well, this is coming form a VERY VERY inexperienced builder, but my personal opinion is that don't put a supply of 500 on an item such as
hellcat hide studded armour, but something such as a waterskin, or
a loaf of bread I am sure that would be fine.
Legault, Kesno, Balmek, Nezbit
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:56 pm

Higher numbers, like 500, would be fine for general items, especially items that are taken from Limbo or Waterdeep (e.g., loaf of bread).

Actually, for "normal" items (i.e., non-magical items with no special power), there are no strict guidelines as to how many you can have in game; finding a shop that is "out of stock" for something that should ICly be freely available is just frustrating and does not really enhance the gameplay.