Undermountain Wards and Tells

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Undermountain Wards and Tells

Post by Hviti » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:52 am

Just a question,

Do the wards Halaster has on Undermountain (memory loss/foggy memory, etc.) have any afffect on tells (being also a telepathic type thing) going in/out or between those inside the mountain, and if so, how would that be Rped?
Elvoriel

Post by Elvoriel » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:45 am

I would imagine it depends more on what you are saying. Just cause you are in Undermountain and farspeaking to someone, does not mean you recall what you did to complete a quest and pass that on. In that case you would roleplay foggy memories.

However, if you are looking at something and want to tell someone what you are looking at (without giving away quest information) I would think this is alright.

Best not to say too much though, but then again, I can't even remember if I've been there. :wink:
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:28 am

Also, I have heard the deeper you go, the "foggier" things get. So it's pretty easy to recall the top level, the second gets rather foggy, ect. And I'm going to have to agree with Elvoriel, that so long as it's not quest information it should be fine, as you are speaking directly into a person's mind from your own, as opposed to using magic that effects yourself or your surroundings(IE teleportations and recalls).

Also since the wards cause memory loss, it would think it'd make anything that you did recently(Past few minutes) fair game but anything before that I would say is still foggy. So if you wanted to tell someone about a zombie you killed half an hour ago, you would most likely have forgotten it already.
Correct me if I'm wrong. :D Just my thoughts.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:32 am

Llanthyr wrote:It states that upon leaving undermountain, your memory becomes clouded. Not while you are in it.
Right. That's how we put into (more or less) IC terms the "Don't share quest information" rule. So, obviously, that does not mean that you can send a quest walkthrough (no matter how IC you make it) through tells from Undermountain. (Just to make things clear)
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:08 am

Oops, my mistake. :oops: Honestly I'm not a big Undermountain goer so it looks like I have my facts backwards. Though I did hear, IC, that the your memory is not so fogged about the top level, but as you go farther down it becomes increasingly fogged. Is this true?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Algon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Algon » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:34 pm

I do not believe so, I believe that it fogs up any and all memories of being in the mountian. At least, that is how I rp it.
Counting bodies like sheep...to the rhythm of the war drums. ~~~ Maynard
Rorix
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Rorix » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:25 pm

Argentia wrote:Though I did hear, IC, that the your memory is not so fogged about the top level, but as you go farther down it becomes increasingly fogged. Is this true?
That sounds to me like a possible excuse to give away potential quests that are closer to the top level. I can see why they would have said that though. I suppose ICly it makes sense, the fogginess becoming heavier as you travel deeper. Stick to what Dalvyn is saying though, despite what you have heard ICly. Best to act according to the reason the effect is in place, rather than the 'actual' effect.

lateaz,

Rad Adam - the Eye of the Storm
"So Lonestar, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."
Gidan

Post by Gidan » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:16 pm

So what if you leave and then come back in , will you remember what you did in there ? I am a bit confused on the whole matter , but if I heard correctly you would forget what you did in the undermountain after you left , but upon re-entry you would remember . please correct this if it is wrong . Because it seems wrong ti me but I belive it is what I heard
Natasha
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Natasha » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:20 pm

The wards on Undermountain, essentially, make it so that you vaguely remember what you did inside of it while you were there, but you cannot remember exact details. For example, if you did a quest to get an item, you know that you got the item somewhere in Undermountain, but don't remember what you did to get the item, nor where you had to go for it.

Essentially, this ward is there to stop anyone ICly from making Halaster's games and tricks he plays on adventurers less exciting for him, and OOCly, to stop people from telling you to carry certain items down into the Undermountain with you, and to do certain things to complete quests.

Natasha
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:33 pm

But would tells specifically be choppy or anything due to the wards?(I'm assuming there are more than just the memory ones, so smoke powder happy Gondite doesn't come along and blow up the mountain)