Clone - necromancer's spell?

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Clone - necromancer's spell?

Post by Lerytha » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:58 pm

I was reading the Player’s Handbook thing yesterday, and I came across the “Clone” spell, and I was thinking that this would be an interesting way for necromancers to show their ultimate power over life and death (or some such thing). Below are just a few adaptations/ideas concerning this idea:

CLONE

Syntax: cast “clone” self

This spell can only affect the caster, and requires a dwelling to cast. Once it is cast, a copy of the PC’s body is created, which, upon the death of the caster, is treated as the new PC.

Components

Flesh

(OOC: this would have to be the PC’s flesh, but perhaps, if that is not possible, another idea could be come up with)

Special laboratory equipment

(OOC: this could be a possible dwelling idea, for necromancers to have a laboratory that can hold a clone and corpses, and to be able to purchase this equipment)

Justification/Balance

Necromancers are meant to be powerful, feared individuals. While the necromancers in the game are incredible players, all of whom have created personas that have lasted, and who are powerful as well (well done, by the way), there is opportunity for them to become more into animation of corpses, etc. Or at least, I feel. (This is in no way a rant for more spells, just an idea) For a necromancer to be able to prevent his own violent/untimely death is, for many necromancers, the whole purpose to learning about undeath. Therefore, this spell will create a perfect IC spell for necromancers to hunt jealously over.

On balance issues, I feel that because the spell would require a dwelling (to store the clone, if nothing else), it would be free from constant abuse. Only those experienced/trustworthy enough to own a dwelling would qualify for this spell. A further way to ensure balance would be to have the caster lose a hefty quantity of experience/kismet for casting, as it is meant to be a strenuous and complicated experience.

Well, I would be glad of any ideas from you guys. And once again, just to clarify, this is not a rant about what is not in the game yet.

Thanks for your time!
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:13 pm

Wow. :shock: That's very well thought out, and personally I think it's a great idea! You balanced the spell nicely, though I'd opt for a loss of experience rather than kismet for casting the spell. I know that level 50's(Who would most likely be the prime casters of this spell) still gain experience so this would be a good use of that accumulated exp.

So, when the necromancer died, would s/he automatically go into this new body? Or would they be able to choose to embody the new, err, body? I think a necromancer might want to spend a bit of time in the realms of the dead to understand that which they tamper with. :twisted: But that might be asking too much, allowing them to choose.

Either way, great idea! :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Granger
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Granger » Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:58 pm

I think that is a awsome idea for a spell, it does actually set the necromancers apart from the other wizards, which for now they are not that much diffrent except for the raise dead. But I think the exp instead of kismet is a better idea as well. Or maybe have them to cast the spell it costs them a level or two, showing that their body may be weaker than the last sorta like how in the Avatar series when they transferred into weaker bodies. I don't know just an idea. :idea:
Tandria
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tandria » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:35 pm

While a good idea, it sounds a lot like something there is already in game.

Myn's Mirror Image
==================

Syntax: cast 'mirror image'

Several illusory duplicates of you appear around you and follow you. It
is impossible for your opponent to know which one is you and which one is
an image. Each image that is hit will disappear. The number of images you
create depends on your skill level with this spell. This spell was
originally created by the mage Myn Cimril.

Is that the sort of thing you meant?
"May your travels be Wonderful and Mysterious."
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:09 pm

I think mirror image is a more illusionary spell. It creates forms of the caster that are not real, and as far as I know when hit these illusions are immediately dispelled. But I think what Lerytha suggests is an actual duplicate, another "person", with the exact hit points of the caster, which remains where it was created and is only used when the actual caster him/herself dies.

So mirror image helps prevent the caster from dying. Clone is a back-up in case the caster dies. :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Zilvryn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Zilvryn » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:30 am

yeh, there are a couple of manshoon clones wandering the realms apparantly as well, 1 in undermountain apprenticed to Halaster and 1 heading up the night masks if i remember correctly..

back to the topic at hand :roll: this sounds like a cool idea, but only necromancers of exceptional power would have access to this... in game i think perhaps only Merriman and Illissa would be able to manipulate their dark powers to this extent. :twisted:

Great idea tho, but perhaps the spell could be gained only via a quest or such?
What matters the most is how well you walk through the fire.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:31 am

Mystra wrote:In the spellfire novels Manshoon has clones of himself for the event of the demise of one of himself.

Sharni
So much for anyone else in the Keep being one dagger in the back away from ruling the keep, eh? ;)

Well... and as far as the power level... obviously it would be a 50th level spelll, so that only 45th or higher necros could learn it in the first place.

A quest could be interesting... also if skill level is factored in, then the power of your clone could only be as good as the power of your spell level somehow?
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Natasha
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Natasha » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:10 am

I think that having the power of the clone being only the power of the spell level is somewhat unrealistic, because honestly, who is going to practice making lots of clones? Better to make tons of expensive components (I think requiring a Dwelling already counts as good enough, as that is quite expensive and signifies an established character), and the clone should only have the stats/skills of the character from the time the clone was made.

Natasha