Spectral Hand

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Natasha
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Spectral Hand

Post by Natasha » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:46 pm

This is the old help file for spectral hand.

Syntax: cast 'spectral hand' <victim>

The spell 'Spectral Hand' calls from the Ethereal Plane a disembodied
Hand to pummel the calling Necromancer's opponents in combat. The
hand may be called once per combat round.

To my understanding, this spell was removed because it didn't fit the Necromancer's Guild Spell List. My proposal, for the revival of this spell, more closely follows 3E DnD's description of the spell. In this spell, the caster summons a hand that can deliver touch attacks for it from a distance. It lowers the caster's hp by 1d4 hp when summoned, and if killed, the caster loses these many hp until they are healed. If the spell runs out, they regain the hp.

I propose that this spell summon a pet that can deliver the caster's touch attacks at the same ability of the caster, at a mana cost to the spell caster. Why would this be of any benefit, you ask?
Since spellcasters in the "formation back" rank cannot participate in melee, this spell would allow spellcasters from the formation back rank to cast touch attacks on MOBs in melee with the formation front and middle ranks of the party.

Natasha
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:03 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in all my experiences, "formation back" has never worked. :( Formation middle works, but I have never ever seen anyone successfully move to the back rank. It's stumped many-a wizard. I'm pretty sure this is a known bug, but if it's not... Then let it be known!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Zilvryn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Zilvryn » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:09 pm

it works, you just have to have someone in the middle for it to work..

edit: And Natasha, I think that would have great benefits, all the extra vampiric touch goodness :)
What matters the most is how well you walk through the fire.
Rotha

Post by Rotha » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:04 am

As Zilvryn said.. You need to have at least 3 (maybe 4, not sure) people in your group. There is no back row until the front and middle is filled up :)
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:35 am

Well, slap me silly and call me Carl. But, let's not turn this into a discussion about formation.=) As for my thoughts on the spell... I think what Natasha proposed definately fits more of a Necromancer's spell list. That way it isn't just an offensive spell(Which would be invokation) it's more of a ghostly apparition which fights for the caster.
But, would this spell, when cast, replace the caster's pet?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Zilvryn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Zilvryn » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:30 am

I see no reason why it would need to replace a pet..
What matters the most is how well you walk through the fire.
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:43 am

I propose that this spell summon a pet that can deliver the caster's touch attacks at the same ability of the caster, at a mana cost to the spell caster.
That might be why it would replace the pet. :D
Llanthyr
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Llanthyr » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:53 am

What happens to the caster's existing pet then? I do not think that it should replace the pet of a caster. Maybe some random rescue attempts at the caster can be allowed too?
Natasha
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Natasha » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:38 pm

Eh. my mistake... by pet I just meant a MOB. Kind of like how you can have multiple create object followers... except you could only have one spectral hand. :D Oh, and the random rescue attempts, Llanthyr, I don't know if you'd want your spectral hand to do that, because it would be fairly easy to hit, and when it dies the spellcaster would lose the hitpoints they put into the hand. That should be something more reserved for undead the Necromancer creates... after all, isn't that the purpose of little cannon fodder creatures?

Natasha
Stayne
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Stayne » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:21 am

I have always envisioned that spectral hand on the Mud would work something like this: Creates a hand shaped shield that a person sees when using look at (like shield creates a shimmering disc).
While in effect:
- Hand has a chance of blocking mele attacks (like a shield). Can block X mele attacks in this way before being destroyed. Upon destruction caster looses Y HP (If dissipates normally, no HP lost).
- While in effect, touch attack spells are unabled to be dodged, and have +X added to their ToHit and can be cast from any rank. When a spell is cast through spectral hand in this manner, the recipient gets an attack of opportunity that is directed at the hand.
- While in effect, Necromantic sphere spells (Vamp touch or Chill touch for eg.) do X% more damage.
- X is increased by skill level and caster level.

While it would look really cool to actually have the hand follow you, I think that not only will it be less useful (it will die extremely quickly), it would also be very spammy.
Just my thoughts
Hope it helps
S.