Sleeping in Undermountain

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Sleeping in Undermountain

Post by Hviti » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:29 pm

Does/should sleeping in Undermountain (besides being a hazard if some mob comes along and cuts your head off) rest you less?

I could see two reasons behind this:
1. You would probably be waking every few minutes to check if something WAS sneaking up to kill you.
2. Hard rocks, dripping, other noises= not a very easy place to sleep in
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:55 am

Undermountain is a physcological weapon of nightmarish monster, imposing sounds of pure horror and varrying temperatures of cold and extremes too hazardous or ic to mention. If you need to sleep there one should not be alone or in an open place, you should seek out a safe haven or not sleep there at all in my opinion.

Dungeons are like flaming tar pits few places you can lay your head without smelling the evil stench of burning tires.
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:02 am

I could see 'sleeping' in undermountain, by if you were so exhausted that you just passed out.
Nearraba
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nearraba » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:03 am

A way to role play this would be that, if you had to people or more with you in a group..one could sleep while the others stand guard and take turns.
Though in many other ways, this as Gwain explained above isn’t that good of a roleplay choice...think of it...imagine yourself being in the undermountain read the descriptions that were made perfectly to describe your surroundings, and you will understand why you shouldn’t even want to think about sleeping there...Hope that helped you abit!
-Neara-
Autumn is a second spring where every leaf has its turn to be a flower.
- Albert Camus
Ursan
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Ursan » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:01 pm

The in-character issues of sleeping in Undermountain apply to most places where there are evil/agressive mobs.

If travelling in those places leaves you so injured the you require to sleep to recover, then OOCly and ICly you would be better to travel in a group.

Knowing where 'safe havens' are (ie places where agressive mobs will not walk in and attack you while you sleep) is really an OOC way of getting around this.

It's often hard to balance OOC and IC gameplay, particularly if your character is low level or you are playing at a time when there are fewer players around to group with.

All I would suggest is that you try to lean towards IC more than OOC and dont fall into the trap of sleeping at the feet of mobs that are not agressive but who you are currently fighting.
Remember, should you encounter an angry Dragon and your only company is a Halfling...
...you do not need to run faster than the Dragon, only the halfling.

It's a wolverine, not a skunk... sheesh
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:13 am

Just my thoughts....
Table-top, PC games, on-line multi-player games, stories and books...
I have seen and read of adventurers, alone or in groups, taking a moment or two to rest in dangerous areas, like a dungeon. BUT!!!! These references tend to speak of a defendable area, such as a room with a sealable door or easily defended hallway/room with one or more of the group as a watch. And of course, the overly exhausted people falling where they stand is also understandable.
Someone, for example, killing an orc or two and simply dropping down for a nap (or meditating for that matter) in a well-traveled, four-way intersection is extremely bad rp and very very very unhealthy.
Use your character's head, not your own. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Just my thoughts...

N.R.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.