Deities and Skills/Spells

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Rhemy

Deities and Skills/Spells

Post by Rhemy » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:28 am

I have a malarite fighter that i've played for a little while, but have pushed aside for a fighter of Talos instead. One thing that had surprised me was that when non-priest characters join a faith, they do not recieve anything extra, skill or spellwise, from their deity.

I can understand why this is so, but at the same time wonder what the benefits would be from adding those extra skills/spells. For example, as a malarite fighter, supposedly a huntsman, should he not recieve the Track skill to become a huntsman? If am trying to hunt anything, and cannot track it, i would not be a hunter at all, but rather a wanderer.

Supposing that every class recieved one single spell or skill most associated with their faith/class combination. Not only would this make things a little more interesting for all classes, but would make characters a little more different from eachother than before.

Just something I've been thinking about. Any thoughts, Suggestions?
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:43 am

I can see this concept. For example, there are no evil rangers in FK, and the whole structure of rangers in FK from the quest to the Warden, would not gear toward an evil ranger (and thank God, as far as I'm concerned.)

BUT, why not allow Malarites, not just Priests, to acquire track and slice, making something more like a Huntsman, as mentioned. It is not a ranger, but it makes said fighter more apropo to his faith, instead of a city fighter wandering in the woods, which a Malarite is NOT.

Conceivably, I could see this being applied for all the faiths, a "characteristic skill," if you will. Subtle skills that are meant to distinguish the classes of a particular faith, as long as it's not something that gives a significant combat advantage over others of the same class... like hide and sneak for Maskites, or Animal empathy and/or language for Mielikkans, etc.

It would make the difference between the servants of the faiths richer, as well as give an added bonus to encourage chars to faith.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:50 pm

Try and come up with one or two skills for each of the 30 deities, that

1 - if given to all followers would not break the balance / increase the unbalance between classes/faiths, and

2 - would be interesting for all kinds of followers (we don't want all thieves to follow Tymora just because they don't gain anything new if they choose Mask),

3 - would be IC for followers of these deities, and

4 - could be given without breaking the "logic/consistency" of the world (would Talos make all his thief/fighter/non-spellcaster followers suddenly able to cast call lightning?)

If you give it a try, I guess you will soon see why this idea - while already considered for a short while - was quickly discarded.
Elenthis
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Elenthis » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:10 pm

Just because I'm curious. Will this be honestly considered or reviewed if we try? And if we do, and it will, which email should we send it to?

~Elenthis.
Far away and across the field, the tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their knees to hear the softly spoken magic spell.
Crunk
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Crunk » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:42 pm

I'm with Elenthis on this. The task doesn't seem too too daunting to me. I'll give it a shot, just let me know who to get in touch with with the final product.
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:33 pm

What about throwing ideas up on this thread, so then everyone can work together/self correct?
Elenthis
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Elenthis » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:40 pm

First, self-correction is a good thing, but in some cases, everyone knowing exactly what is to come isnt. Second, While I think that if this is a task that is available, it should be open to everyone, but a bit of advice...dont go into it thinking it is an easy thing. The staff if FK has gone through rediculous lengths to ensure game equality. Remember in your "list" that your list must conform to the rest of FK, because I can almost assure you, there are no current plans to reqrite it around this "add-on". And finally, I'm asking for locations and such in good humor. While I will/would put 100% honest effort into such an idea, I dont expect at all that any change will come of it. Our faiths should be chosen based on RP, not skills and sup-items. IMO skills and spells for faith are an excelent idea, but they should all be relatively trivial. Its also my opinion that all sup-items should be non-player affecting and basically RP items, but thats another thread.

~Elenthis.
Far away and across the field, the tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their knees to hear the softly spoken magic spell.
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Balek » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:26 pm

Well, the task as presented is actually impossible without the addition of multiple skills/spells to each deity. For instance, if you give hide to all followers of Mask, it would violate Dalvyn's rule number 2. Since there's always some class that has a skill, there's no way to make a list that conforms to the criteria without adding more than one to each faith.

Edit: Also, it would work if you created a new skill or spell for each faith. That's a lot of work, however.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Deities and Skills/Spells

Post by Dalvyn » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:54 pm

Correct, Balmek. And I think that "Rule 2" above is very important (less we incite - from a technical point of view - thieves to follow other deities than thieving deities and so on): Indeed, if it is not satisfied, we will for example incite wizards to follow fighter, ranger, or thief deities instead of deities of magic, since they are more likely to get a "good new skill/spell" from those deities. So we can't simply dismiss this "rule". That's why such a system has next to no chance of being ever applied.

To go back to the original topic though:
Rhemy wrote:I have a malarite fighter that i've played for a little while, but have pushed aside for a fighter of Talos instead. One thing that had surprised me was that when non-priest characters join a faith, they do not recieve anything extra, skill or spellwise, from their deity.
Non-priest characters get most of their skills when they join a guild (when warriors become fighters or rangers, or paladins; when rogues become thieves or bards; and when wizards become mages, illusionists, ...); so they are not really cheated when they get "no new skill" by joining a faith (they still gain access to (for most faiths) new areas, new shops, new items, a holy symbol, supplication, and so on).
Rhemy wrote:I can understand why this is so, but at the same time wonder what the benefits would be from adding those extra skills/spells. For example, as a malarite fighter, supposedly a huntsman, should he not recieve the Track skill to become a huntsman? If am trying to hunt anything, and cannot track it, i would not be a hunter at all, but rather a wanderer.
Actually, I am not going to say anything more about this, but there is an IC Malarite quest that allow followers of that god to learn tracking.
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Deities and Skills/Spells

Post by Balek » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:36 am

Dalvyn wrote:Correct, Balmek.
I'm Balek. Balmek is a different dwarf.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:44 am

Bah! All dwarves look alike. Easy mistake.
:lol:
hehehe

N.R.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Ellian
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Ellian » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:20 pm

Balmek is a dwarf?

Wow.

-El-