Charm Person

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Rotha

Charm person

Post by Rotha » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:26 am

helpfile wrote: The charm spell, if successful, will place the victim (only mobs, attempts to charm other player-characters may incur the wrath of the gods) ...
Am I to take this to mean that you are not supposed to do it? I can see some RP instances where this might be a nice spell, especially if most orders were RPed and not using the order command. Even moreso if it was agreed upon OOCly by the charmer and charmee beforehand. Would situations like this warrant the use of the spell on PCs?
Nearraba
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nearraba » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:25 am

In my understanding, I think that you should follow the help file as stated. Miss use of the spell and I quote..."may incur the wrath of the gods." The spell was intended to use on mobs only, even if agreed occly.
So you best bet would be to stick with the help file.
Autumn is a second spring where every leaf has its turn to be a flower.
- Albert Camus
Elwin
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Elwin » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:55 am

Exactly, Nearabba. The help file states it like that, so that there is no room for abuse. I know most people can be responsible and use it when needed or agreed upon, but there are those few that will abuse it. So, the Imms stayed one step ahead of them on this one.
From your friendly neighborhood ranger :)
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:20 am

Do not use Charm or similar spells on players. If there is an OOC arrangement for rp, use emote/smotes and rp it out. No need to use spells then. Save yourself the trouble of being on an imm's visit list for the bad reasons. My thoughts...

N.R.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:22 am

Just to clarify, then: Charm Person as a coded spell is forbidden to cast on players. If agreed beforehand and through RP, etc... it is okay to emote a charm spell?
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Elwin
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Elwin » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:31 pm

Yes, emotes are better than actually casting the spell because the person can object to something you do to them. If you actually cast the spell, it they won't be able to do much. It makes the PC more comfortable knowing that if they don't want to do something that you smote, they dont have to.
From your friendly neighborhood ranger :)
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:35 pm

Esentially, charm person is charming someone over then giving them orders to do things. Orders, would be spoken or motioned. So giving an emote that gives someone the option of being charmed or not, then giving commands through smote or tells, would be a good rp of the spell, imo. Just make sure you're giving people the options in rp, and make sure it's someone your character COULD charm. Don't forget charming someone requires a fair amount of charisma, and probably luck. :)

Danica
Beshaba potatoes.
Beshaba
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Beshaba » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:04 pm

Actually, I am going to have to step in here. If you cannot do something via the code as far as magic is concerned (and this includes things that you are forbidden to do) and you do not have any sort of approved special RP, do not assume that you can simply emote or smote it.

I know we had a situation where something similar was RPed out, and it turned in to such a mess that it required the intervention of three Imms and very nearly resulted in the sitebanning of several of the individuals involved. Another time it happened, it was equally messy and was pretty much a PAY ATTENTION TO ME ploy on the part of one of those involved.
Both time the whole thing caused headaches for both the players at the staff.

Remember that this is not a consent based game, this is an IC Actions = IC Consequences game. If you are going to do something that relies on the consent of the other player, it is probably something simply best not to do, because you are not going to have the consent of anyone else who is likely to react. Player A could ask Player B "Can I do this?" But that does not mean that Player C D E F agree and will not hunt down and kill Player A. Then the complaints start, or people are forced to do things that are not IC for their character, which is even worse in my eyes.
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:11 pm

Would ventriliquism fall under the charm person category? or is it just throwing one's voice?
Beshaba
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Beshaba » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:33 pm

Ventriloquism is just magically throwing your voice.
Fayona
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Charm Person

Post by Fayona » Sun May 15, 2005 11:31 pm

I was curious about the 'charm person' spell. On the help file it states only to be used on mobs not on pc's.

Somone made a point that, "Charm person is supposed to make the victim consider you as his/her best friend. With this spell, you could basically convince him/her to do what you want. Casting that on another PC would be like stripping the other player's control over their character."

..Now I was just wondering if mobs would also include the numerous merchants, travelers, soldiers, and bards that walk around waterdeep? If the spell was used icly and in the appropriate rp situation would 'charming' be aloud?
-Never Deny The True Feelings Of Your Heart.
Tandria
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tandria » Mon May 16, 2005 12:51 am

Mobs that are charmed should be intelligent or humanoid creatures. For example, charming an animal or an undead creature would be poor form, if not altogether impossible ICly ;).

If the skill is not abused within Waterdeep (for example, charming a merchant just to have the mob hand you all the items), then I don't really see any problem with it, so long as you keep in mind that IC actions have IC consequences. So, if someone (a PC or a mob) sees you charming a mob, you can likely be expected to be treated with a smaller amount of trust. Although mobs do not act a certain way, who's to say they wouldn't in that situation? ;) If it's secretive and not to gain objects/coin, then I don't see a problem.
"May your travels be Wonderful and Mysterious."
Fayona
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Fayona » Mon May 16, 2005 2:15 am

Oh alright, thanks abunch for your enlightenment! :)
-Never Deny The True Feelings Of Your Heart.
Legault
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Abuse of Charm Person

Post by Legault » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:39 pm

Now, I realize with the Charm person spell, somone could take control of a mob as if it were a pet, being able to order it to do things. Would taking control of a shopkeeper and ordering him to turn over everything he has considered abuse? I know it would be considered ICly as stealing.. but yeah, if somone could elaborate on the abuse of Charm Person that would be great.
Legault, Kesno, Balmek, Nezbit
Arathin
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Arathin » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:13 pm

In accordance and much agreement with Sharni's scrolling main-page text, PLEASE use the search function of the forums before posting.

http://www.forgottenkingdoms.com/board/ ... ight=charm

I direct you to Tandria's post.
Sometimes you gotta prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying. Sometimes that means killing a whole lot of people.
-Sin City, By Frank Miller
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:17 pm

from "help charm"
This spell/skill is logged because it is subject to abuse. If we find that you
are using the skill/spell to gain too many items you will lose the skill.
Please show some responsbility when using this skill/spell. It is also
expected that you roleplay its usage. Using it over and over and over
again is considered to be extremely poor roleplay.
If you're looking for a definition of too many items, I would assume that causing, for example, Bradigan or Melgar to hand over his store's inventory would not only be abuse, but poor RP.

First off, you realistically wouln't be able to walk out of a shop with a storeowners inventory, if, in fact, you could even get away with charming him ICly at all. Remember, just because you are the only PC in the room, doesn't mean you are the only *person*. Shops in pretty much any city should be assumed to have a steady stream of patrons, you know, like the hundreds of other patrons besides PCs who are filling the city streets strolling about etc.

Same goes for temples, camps, et al. The same reason you cannot ICly raze a ranger camp, or a temple, is because there are scores more people in the area than mobs. Read the descriptions sometime, more often than not, they will include descriptions of other people, you don't see in the VT interface. Remember that just because it's not in the pane at the top of the game window, doesn't mean it's not there. Mobs count, people indicated in room descs count, when you ICly consider whether there are any potential witnesses to something.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki