Centaur Equipment

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Jadom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Centaur Equipment

Post by Jadom » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:10 am

Not having a Centaur, don't know if they might all ready have it in the Grove. But will there be Centaur specific equipment?, or will they be able to wear the same gear that horses can? (barding, saddlebags etc. etc.)
Exer
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Exer » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:19 am

My thoughts are, from the torso up, regular armor, anything below the torso, regular horse equipment
Jerilim

Post by Jerilim » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:09 am

That was essentially the general understanding during testing. No boots, leg guards, belts, pants, boxers, thongs, etc. Yes, horse shoes, bardings, saddles, anklets, glitter, etc.
Solaghar
Staff
Staff

Post by Solaghar » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:32 am

There is absolutely no way a centaur would wear a saddle, and there's no way they'd drive nails into their hooves ala horse shoes. They have way too much respect for themselves. I honestly wouldn't think a centaur would wear much of any armor at all, maybe a leather jerkin, but they're very nature oriented races and I wouldn't think of them wearing anything beyond what an Elf ranger might wear.
Exer
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Exer » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:49 am

I stand corrected, they do not wear armor, and the weapons they use are generally wooden ones, such as large clubs. They prefer not to use metal. Female usually only have a bow and don't carry any other weapons.
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:27 am

There are items in game made for centaurs that they can wear you just have to look for them icly.
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Balek » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:46 am

According to Races of Faerun, centaurs wear barding that was specially designed for them which includes armor for their humanoid and horse halves. Basically in game I think that would translate to barding and upper body armor.
Yonna

Post by Yonna » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:48 am

Also in Races of Faerun, it mentions magical horse shoes. I believe this clears up the fact that they do not wish to put nails in their hooves. I would think that they would want to protect their feet just as well as any other race.
Andreas
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Horse Shoes

Post by Andreas » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:43 pm

I don't see why a centaur would object to having their hooves shod. Horse shoes protect the hoof walls from excessive wear and prevent injury to the soft part of the foot. The process of shoeing a horse doesn't hurt it since the nails are driven through the hoof wall. It's the equivalent of clipping your nails.

I'd imagine that any centaur who values their feet (and they say that without the feet, you don't have a horse) would be meticulous in keeping their hooves in good condition... to include shoeing.
Helm keep thee.
Exer
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Exer » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:37 pm

Well, this brings me to this question:

Do we follow:

The Races of Faerun - 2nd edition

OR

The slayer guides - 3rd edition
http://www.gamewyrd.com/review/5

The reason I ask is the race descriptions are slighty different. The slayer guides have a really good section on how to RP the race.
Zilvryn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Zilvryn » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:22 pm

Use the 3rd edition Races of Faerun, the slayers guides are not Forgotten Realms/Faerun specific..
What matters the most is how well you walk through the fire.
Yonna

Post by Yonna » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:45 pm

I would just like to know what others think on Centaurs wearing some kind of leg coverings...

Thanks for all your thoughts
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Centaur Equipment

Post by Kregor » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:45 pm

What sort of leg coverings would you be talking about?

I don't know of any horse legging in the game.... and resized leg armour wouldn't work, because it only has two legs... you might me *able* to do so in code by resizing normal leggings (never tried), but that would once again, be a "just because you can..." issue if you could, since you would be wearing something that would just be IC impossible.

I've seen plenty of images of centaurs with bardings and the like to protect their bodies... never seen four legged leggings.

Granted, centaurs would then have a vulnerability in the leg area... but then again, I think the +8STR, +4CON, etc. bonuses a centaur gets offsets the disadvantage of no leg protection. It's a disadvantage, we should have no problem RPing the disadvantages of a race, along with the advantages.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:57 pm

How about greaves? Those aren't leggings as in pants, they are just shin guard equivalents, though, realistically, they only ought to make for less protection that for a human, since you could only have them for the front legs because of the number wear locations (unless the back legs are too out of reach in most fights to qualify as a 'hitting area'). Or centaurs could get two leg areas for two sets of greaves (though probably not worth the time to code) OR centaur equipment could be four greaves. Lots of possibilities, but just not wearing leg protection seems fine IMO, given those bonuses listed in the above post.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:28 pm

Some are already lvl30+ I don't think a few leg injuries are a problem.

There were a couple echoes last night and this am to the effect of "If it's not a piece of equipment available to centaurs, don't wear it"
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Sun May 01, 2005 2:45 am

I would have to say that the centaurs get so many bonuses in stats that no leg protection isn't anything to be looking for. To go further I think that a centaur wouldn't want to wear leg guards as they wouldn't be able to move around as quick with them.

Take the limitations with the bonuses.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:25 am

Just wondering, but how would this apply to wemics? Im merely asking since their legs are much different than a horse's, being larger and thicker. Im mainly thinking of, I think, they are called greaves, which are just plates or something that strap around the leg.

Also, are belts out of the question? Because in Race's of Faerun, the picture of the wemic is wearing a belt around the part where his humanoid half merges with his feline half.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Beshaba
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Beshaba » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:55 pm

Greaves are plates yes, but they are articulated plates that are jointed for a human leg, not for a horse leg and not for a cat leg. I think feline legs would be even less compatable since they joint so differently.

As long as the creature in question has a defined waist, belts are probably fine.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:16 am

By dictionary.com:

greaves

Leg armor worn below the knee. Often used in the plural.

and

a piece of defensive armour reaching from the foot
to the knee

So wouldn't they be just shinguards over a lower leg bone (tibia/fibula or equivalent), but not extending over a joint, and therefore not requiring any special articulation?

Edit: I don't see how greaves would be able to protect as much as leg guards, which normally cover the knee and upper leg as well (unless they are magical) but I don't see how that could be coded.
Beshaba
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Beshaba » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:01 pm

What is called greaves in the game should actually be considered a greave and cuisse combo, since there are not two wear locations for legs.