Different Charisma?

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Different Charisma?

Post by Isolrem » Tue May 17, 2005 8:29 pm

I think that in FK Charisma is not rped enough. A lot of things characters do, such as being polite in request, can be related to Charisma (and Intelligence). I hardly ever see, for example, one to change one's behaviour when under the side effects of the trollish vigor spell or the friends spell (the former, one might argue, only changes physical appearence, but the way I see it there are mental adjustments in the vigor of the troll)

One way to do this is to make Charisma more specific. For RP purposes, at least, one can choose to put Charisma in three catagories everyone you train it.
Charisma - Looks (Basically, makes you look attractive)
Charisma - Wisdom (You look like a wise, old sage, people will be inclined to listen to you.
Charisma - Justice (You look like a very noble, valiant figure, people are inclined to follow your lead
CHarisma - Evil (You look dark and vile, people fear you)
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Nearraba
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nearraba » Tue May 17, 2005 10:14 pm

Actully I think this is rather interesting.
I hardly ever see, for example, one to change one's behaviour when under the side effects of the trollish vigor spell or the friends spell (the former, one might argue, only changes physical appearence, but the way I see it there are mental adjustments in the vigor of the troll)
That is very true, The friends spell which you type help friends says
By casting this spell you enhance your natural charisma.
Natuarl charisma probably means looks, but a way to bring more rp would be to rp being nice..or if you are nice..maybe nicer?

Though you cannot really tell if someone has friends or trollish vigor for sure unless it is rped out.

I like your idea on how you seperated them into four catagories.
Though how would this work?
Autumn is a second spring where every leaf has its turn to be a flower.
- Albert Camus
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Thu May 19, 2005 8:20 pm

Well, for starters, as a pure rp issue, it should stop players from thinking they can RP being nice or frightening, etc. without basis. The truth is no matter how powerful or influencial you may be, it takes charisma to express it and let others believe that of you. And even if you are kind of heart you can be clumsy in expressing that in deed.

So far as how it affects the game...
1.perhaps certain quests are affected
2. evil counts towards demand
3. justice counts towards request

etc.

To boost the stats, every time a character trains charisma, it should then ask which category he or she wants that point in charisma to count in. The same goes to every point spent in charisma at character creation.

For example, a lawful good priest of Tyr might have charismatic charisma by raising it 6 times. His choices would likely be 3x Justice and 3x Wisdom.
A seductive chaotic evil lady mage would have 3x Beauty and 3x Evil

These might come as a side note in the desc of a character

e.g. He looks very trustworthy.
He seems to be intimidating.

unfortunately sometimes people don't take note of desc

that's just my proposal
Andreas
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

RE: RP, stats & description

Post by Andreas » Thu May 19, 2005 9:16 pm

I'll also point you toward the description help file and add my personal view that a character description should be like a snapshot - what they look like if they were sleeping or dead.

It never fails to amaze me how many new characters I see running around with suggestions that I am "intimidated" or "seduced" by their appearance. That sort of reaction should only come through roleplay. I don't care how bad-nasty you want your character to be, trying to force that impression upon others through the use of a character description just doesn't work.

Stats can and should be included in your roleplay. Have a low dexterity? Roleplay being clumsy. Low charisma? Nothing says you have to be ugly as the day is long, it's just as easy to be beautiful and have an awful personality... if you can roleplay it! The numbers (or in the case of FK, stat descriptors) are basic indicators, what you build in terms of roleplay on top of that is what truly makes your character three-dimensional and memorable.
Helm keep thee.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Thu May 19, 2005 9:54 pm

I completely agree with the two statements, and it is a general guideline I follow in my description.

I meant more along the lines of the part of the desc where, say, you would find a spell effect

His feet hovers in the air
A mystical shield surrounds him
He looks intimidating

If that doesn't work out, ignore it, it is the most minor part of my proposal
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Sat May 21, 2005 1:07 am

I think Isolrem is confused as to what trollsih vigor actually does. It has nothing to do with charisma. Its the vigor of the trolls not the personality of the trolls or the mental abilitys of the trolls. Its the strength of the trolls. Here look at this.....

Syntax cast 'trollish vigor' <target>

This spell increases the targets constitution for its duration giving
the target more stamina and greater health. It can be cast on others.

Notice the word constitution. It just makes you stronger and more durable. Nothing to do with charisma or intelligence.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Sat May 21, 2005 1:34 am

Kirkus wrote:Notice the word constitution. It just makes you stronger and more durable. Nothing to do with charisma or intelligence.
Actually, trollish vigor does lower your charisma when you cast it.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Sat May 21, 2005 1:37 am

ah good call Glim I was only running off the help file.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: RE: RP, stats & description

Post by Glim » Sat May 21, 2005 1:44 am

Andreas wrote:It never fails to amaze me how many new characters I see running around with suggestions that I am "intimidated" or "seduced" by their appearance. That sort of reaction should only come through roleplay. I don't care how bad-nasty you want your character to be, trying to force that impression upon others through the use of a character description just doesn't work.
Just to add my own point of view, but I beleive what Isolrem is trying to say is that based on the different charisma stat they might take, their appearance would change according to that stat. A paladin, just using it as an example, doesnt have to be intimidated by the character, but he can agree that the character looks quite dark and intimidiating/imposing. Perhaps a analogy could be beauty, a paladin doesnt have to be attracted to a beautiful person, but he can agree that the person looks beautiful/handsome.

If anyone has played the Knights of the Old Republic game for Xbox, this might help, the more light points you take, the more noble your character looks, the more evil points he takes, the more brutish and sinister he looks. It could perhaps be a little like this.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Sun May 22, 2005 6:29 pm

Yes, kind of...
About trollish vigor, one must realize the help file is no more than two lines that states the basic game effects of the spell. Magically, it is likely that a spell that changes the atonomy and appearances of the person would have mental affiliations.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Sun May 22, 2005 9:26 pm

I always pictured it more as a magical steroid. It dosn't change how you look only how you perform.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Mon May 23, 2005 10:25 pm

I always Rped it as adding tissue to the body, especially to the muscles. That way it would increase hitpoints by giving more flesh for a monster to rip through, increase constitution by building up leg/heart/lung muscles, and make the char loose charisma because they would have more of a puffy/ungainly/fleshy/corpulent appearance (since presumably the spell couldn't perfectly proportion the amounts it added, or else people would use it as a perfect-model-body spell, thereby upping cha).

Edited because I can't spell.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Mon May 23, 2005 10:38 pm

The physical changes of trollish vigor is that one's muscles are enhanced, and in RL we could say this is caused by large amounts of growth hormones such as testosterone being magically produced and enhanced. One can not tell me this does not have mental effects.
Gratey
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Gratey » Tue May 24, 2005 6:16 am

Anything you put into you body will have an effect, good or bad. Constitution is making your body more resistant and getting your HP and MV points to raise faster. Trollish vigor, Takes away a good amount of CHA and I am lead to believe it takes away a little bit of ITEL but I could be wrong.
RL we could say this is caused by large amounts of growth hormones such as testosterone being magically produced and enhanced. One can not tell me this does not have mental effects.
Yes, it would have mental effects, but testosterone being made in your body happens every day, in sufficent amounts.I dont think it would change in drastically.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Tue May 24, 2005 7:44 am

Hviti made a good point about the physical effects, but I still am not sold on the point that there has to be mental effects. Most of us are in the US so you all probabily have heard of the steroid scandal in sports, mostly baseball. Now a month or so ago I saw on a late night talk show one of these baseball players who was in trouble for this. He was a big dude, but he did not appear to have any mental or charismatic defeciencies.
Tychina

Post by Tychina » Tue May 24, 2005 10:21 am

I personally see nothing wrong with the charisma as it is. There are many differant ways you could rp your charisma, and I think people should have the oportunity to do so, to choose which way they wish to rp it. I could be missing a lot in the game, but I havn't seen instances of the charisma being abused as it is now, so why change it?

Just my thoughts, I'm tired so don't mind me too much.
Micheal
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Micheal » Tue May 24, 2005 11:51 am

Okay, there is no need for a RL reason that Trollish vigor works. It is magic, not bio-chem.

I would that the orginal point for this spell was to give you some aspects of a troll. It is a MUD hybrid of the D&D spell Trollish (something) that was a 6th level wizard spell that gave the wizard +3 regen and the ability to reattach limbs. So I believe that the intent of the spell was to give you the skin of a troll.

There would be no mental difference it would all be appearance. The RP of this would be similar to having the 18 or so spells that affect the appearance of the beneficiary.
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men..... Godzilla.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Tue May 24, 2005 8:16 pm

Tychina, the whole problem I stated was that few are using charisma in their RP.
As for trollish vigor, we do not have to argue about it's exact effects and how that affects my proposal.
It is true that charisma counts both for being intimidating and for being nice
It is also true that in RL, it makes no sense that someone without a lot of skill can be intimidating AND nice
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Tue May 24, 2005 8:17 pm

I think another way to do this might be an "Act" skill, which means this would believe in the Skills forum