target for groups, a proposal

For builders to discuss and ask building questions.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

target for groups, a proposal

Post by Kregor » Sun May 29, 2005 2:44 am

Looking at the $targets list, we do not have a $target for all members of $n's group. Would it be possible to add, or something to consider adding?

I am thinking on the lines of group questing, especially in long quests or in difficult, partying-required ones, where each member of the party gets bits, each one gets part of the reward, if any, each gets exp, and all get noted as completing the quest. So that, instead of having round robin completion of a quest, or leaving, regrouping, and doing over with another $n later, it becomes more flovored like a real tabletop party where all involved get glory and experience, and share in a reward.

I think it would add to the RP experience, the satisfaction of being a team, the RP involved when they can talk to each other about their success in the market square or in the local tavern. Perhaps some quests treated this way would encourage people to group more often.

Just a thought. :)
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Tyr
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tyr » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:36 am

I can make a command that makes a command execute on all members of a group.
Tyr
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tyr » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:31 pm

Syntax: mpgroupaction <target> <command>

Target can be $n or any other character variable.

Command can also include some character variables such as $i, $n, and $f. The command will be executed for each character in targets group.

Tyr
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:01 pm

Wonderful idea, and wonderful addition to the code.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:06 pm

I have a question though. Assume a greet prog like:

Code: Select all

>greet_prog 100~
sayto $n You have found me, now you'll have to fight me !
mpgroupaction $n mpmset $n quest 1000 0 1 1
mpgroupaction $n mplog EVENT: $n has entered mob's room
mpkill $n
~
The leader of the group walks in and the program triggers. Will it trigger and be run before the other members of the group are in (assume they follow the leader), or after the whole group is in the room.

I guess that if the program triggers before everybody is in the room, the mpmset line won't work.

Also, a more general question: what happens if the whole group is not in the same room? Is each of the command run at each group member's location, or run by the (super)mob right where it is ? Finally, is the command cited after the mpgroupaction run on all the group members, no matter where they are, or only on all the group members that are in the same room as <target>?
Tyr
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tyr » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:59 pm

It is only run on group member in the room.

It runs at the same time the rest of the greet prog does which as you say can be before the rest of the group is in.

As you can see it may be better to avoid "critical" commands like that on mpgroupaction in a greet prog.

I can make another command that works on all group members reguardless of room but it would still be executed from the $i in the room.

Tyr