Covert Training

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Natasha
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Covert Training

Post by Natasha » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:06 pm

This feat would allow people to remain hidden while moving at the walk speed rather than at the crawl speed. Prerequisites would be high dexterity, high stealth, and one of the "higher" level Thieves Guilds, perhaps a tough quest.

Ideas?

Natasha
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:13 am

How about a prerequisite of a adept+ skill level in hide and sneak?
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:58 am

I personally have no problem with having to walk at a slower speed to use stealth, this is consistent with the tabletop rules, where your move speed is cut by half.

What I would like to see is a movement mode that is more suitable for stealth. The problem with having to go speed crawl is that it implies going on your hands and knees, which a thief is rarely actually doing when using stealth, and it also takes more stamina, which the tabletop walk at half speed would not do. Walking slower would, if anything, conserve your energy, not use more.

Perhaps if we had a "speed sneak" move mode, that was actually twice the lag of walking, but done on two feet, and at the same stamina cost as a walk, that would be the best all around solution. That, and for a thief to automatically enter that move mode when he hides, so that it is assumed he will want to move such to stay hidden unless he VISes.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:09 am

problem with having to go speed crawl is that it implies going on your hands and knees, which a thief is rarely actually doing when using stealth
I can't tell you how many times this has happened in MS:

thiefbob crawls in from the west
You look at thiefbob
You sayto thiefbob, "Did your marble bag come lose and spill? You might want to get off the ground, it's pretty dirty."

I mean, while it's funny and all, I know the thief didn't mean it. :lol: I like your idea, Kregor, I never thought it made much sense to have thieves "crawl" about when they're sneaking.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:57 am

Hmm, I have seen this feat somewhere. But basically, where instead of you being able to only walk at half speed while sneaking, you could walk at full speed. Perhaps this feet could be taken multiple times? The better you are at mobile sneaking, the faster you could become, and each time you take it you can move one speed catagory faster and still stay sneaking.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Micheal
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Micheal » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:14 pm

When you are sneaking and hiding you are not crawling. I snuck for a living for a couple years, and you make alot of noise crawling. It is best to hunch over and squat.

Speed crawl is a speed like m/s in this situation. It would make no sense for you to crawl thus you have to assume that you are just moving slowly.

Now, it does make sense for a person with practice to get to a point where you can almost run at this sneaky squat. I have seen soldiers that could bound/hustle in this position for a short distance without making a sound. It took alot out of them and they needed to rest a bit after it.

I would suggust you to be able to take this feat and it would add a multiplier to your stamina drain while moving at different speeds and give you a cut off max of jog.

I like it.
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men..... Godzilla.