Mind Link

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Mind Link

Post by Isolrem » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:32 pm

SYNTAX
Cast 'Mind Link' <Target PC> (ingredient: Amulet of Communication)
Target Players must accept

The target will detect everything the caster detects. i.e. says, emotes, smotes, attacks, movement, objects and characters
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Lysha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lysha » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:40 pm

Er...that's kinda creepy. When I'm doing a private RP, I kinda don't want people to watch unless I tell them they can. Pretty much what you want is like a Magic Mirror...but instead of Mirror, it is more like a TV... ::shudder::
I think I would be paranoid that someone is watching me...
Your punch viciously hammers a shark's abdomen.
A shark is stunned, but will probably recover.

http://www.elfonlyinn.net/d/20070925.html
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:14 pm

I could see the use of this in the case of, say, needing to locate a hostage by being able to see through their eyes to identify their place of captivity...but I'm not sure good wizards would want to use a magic that takes that much control of a person. For evils, however, this would be great. Send your fodder out to scout out the enemy, and don't worry if he doesn't get back 'cause you saw all he did. In fact, push him as far as he can go until he dies, so you can see the most! :twisted:
Last edited by Hviti on Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:20 pm

What about a mind resistance check?
Lorion
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Lorion » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:38 pm

To basically all who replied: a) I think you overlooked the fact that you need the target's acceptance, so if Lysha is doing some private RP, and the one she is doing that did accept the mind link...*shrug*
Anyway, paranoia about wizards isn't always a bad thing ;)
As far as I understood it the spell should only allow it to watch passively, not have the other person doing something actively. While such a spell (act through another person)would be of course possible as well, I do not think anyone should get this, because it is way too powerful, whether the victim has to accept the spell willingly or not.
Lysha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lysha » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:52 am

Ah! I thought that when it said Target must accept....I thought it meant Target MUST accept, like forced! LOL Sorry, I read that wrong. Yeah, it could be very helpful for meetings when someone is like...for example....in Tantras and someone else is in Faerdale or some such. Or if something 'bad' is going on, someone could contact a wizard and be like (not in exact words, mind you) 'Dude, j00 must totally SEE this! It's trippin'!' And like it helps when someone needs a witness to a crime....

Ya know...maybe it could be for some Clerics too...a name for like those of Tyr could have the spell named Eye/Vision of Justice, or something. Sorry, later!
Your punch viciously hammers a shark's abdomen.
A shark is stunned, but will probably recover.

http://www.elfonlyinn.net/d/20070925.html
Andreas
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

RE: Mind Link

Post by Andreas » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:49 pm

Isn't this more like a psionic ability rather than a spell? I seem to remember something of the sort in ye olde Psionics Handbook. I'll look for it later when I have more time.
Helm keep thee.
Talamar
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Talamar » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:48 am

Yup, it's Psionics.

Mindlink, Forced Mindlink, etc, are all Psionic powers, of the Telepathy sort.

Talamar, Psionic Afficianado.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:23 am

I fail to see why this should be more a psionic ability than a mind-related spell. I can see it be both.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:28 am

Eh, Ide say most psionic abilities can duplicate mage spells, and visa versa.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:45 pm

Psionics would presumably be more powerful with mind affecting spells, since their spells emenate from the mind in the first place. Psionics and magic seem to work independently of each other (I think in one of Salvatore's novels a psionics guy left over from the drow psionics house has a really easy time of it because he can act under conditions wizards can't). It's like the classic jedi vs. wizard question. How do the force and magic interact? Probably not at all, like psionics and magic. Therefore, if I can get to the point of this, wizards would probably have a harder time affecting the mind, as control of something that complex would be much harder than just smaching organs with an attack spell.
Talamar
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Talamar » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:02 pm

I wasn't trying to say that it wasn't possible this could be a Mind spell.

Just that they actually do have a psionic ability, known as Mindlink, Forced Mindlink, Thieving Mindlink, etc.

Just mentioning it for others edification.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:20 pm

I think psionists are really supposed to be the bane of mages, since they can create an effect that makes the mage virtually powerless (multiple dispellings, silence, paralyazation) and not harm them at all. (And mages are supposed to be bane of warriars, bleh :))
Chars: Aryvael et all.