Shadow Weave Spells?

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Shadow Weave Spells?

Post by Isolrem » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:26 am

Do we presently have any Shadow Weave spells in the game, as the feat help file Shadow Weave Magic might suggest?
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Natasha
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Natasha » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:12 am

I thought the Shadow Weave used the same spells, just drew on a different source of energy so that their spells are less easily detected by normal Weave users and vice versa. Also, it gives a bonus to things such as Illusion spells and minuses to some others, like Conjuration or something of the sorts.

Natasha
Jadom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Jadom » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:41 pm

Not sure if it is altered in FK, but essentially yes, a shadow weave user is just a magic user who taps a different source of power, with a few side effects.

IIRC, the shadow weave gives bonuses to enchantment, necromancy, and illusion. And penalties in evocation and transmutation. Plus a Shadow Weave user cannot use any spells or magic items with the "light" descriptor.

As for the help file, there are certain other feats that have shadow weave magic as a prereq (in D&D, dunno if they're ingame), pernicious magic for example.

I do have a question though. It was my understanding that the penalty to wisdom is only applied to wizards who tap the Shadow Weave without having Shar as their patron. Given that the in game the feat is only available to followers of Shar, I was wondering why the wisdom bonus still applies.
Algon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Algon » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:55 pm

Good Lord man lol
Might I suggest making one post next time and list all the spell ideas you have. Saves on space. Just my oppinion :P lol
Counting bodies like sheep...to the rhythm of the war drums. ~~~ Maynard
Algon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Algon » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:25 pm

Ahhhh my bad :p
Counting bodies like sheep...to the rhythm of the war drums. ~~~ Maynard
Levine
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Levine » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:27 pm

I've always been pretty confused by the Shadow Weave Magic feat. The help file states:
Shadow weave magic feat
=======================
You have discovered the dark and dangerous secret of the Shadow Weave.

Your wisdom is permanently reduced by 2. This feat is the pre-requisite
for some other shadow weave feats.

This feat is only available to the followers of Shar.
If one is a follower of Shar, and the shadow weave, like Jadom said, gives bonuses to enchantment, necromancy and illusion, why does the wisdom decrease?

And another question.. What are the other shadow weave feats? I've done a search but I can't seem to find anything, I'm afraid.

-gissy
Must I kill them
To make them lie still
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:06 pm

Knowledge of the Shadow Weave has a price. When you aquire this feat, your Wisdom score is immediately reduced. This emulates the dangerous and maddening effects of the Shadow Weave.

Shadow weave feats are:

Insidious Magic - You can use the Shadow Weave to make your spells harder for Weave users to detect.

Pernicious Magic - You can use the Shadow Weave to make your spells harder for Weave users to counter.

Tenacious Magic - You can use the Shadow Weave to make your spells harder for Weave users to dispel.

Basically any magic using creature without the Shadow Weave feat is considered a Weave user.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Jadom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Jadom » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:12 am

It was my understanding in D&D the wisdom penalty is Shar's punishment to those who tap the Shadow Weave without taking her as their patron. (She allows them to use it for her own reasons, mainly because one day she hopes to supplant the Weave with her Shadow Weave)

That or maybe she lifts the wisdom penalty from her followers who tap the Shadow Weave.
Levine
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Levine » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:39 pm

Jadom wrote:That or maybe she lifts the wisdom penalty from her followers who tap the Shadow Weave.
Glim wrote:Knowledge of the Shadow Weave has a price. When you aquire this feat, your Wisdom score is immediately reduced. This emulates the dangerous and maddening effects of the Shadow Weave.
Even if one serves Shar?

-gissy
Must I kill them
To make them lie still
Talamar
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Talamar » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:17 am

Yes,

Remember, the Shadow Weave is essentially, access to a darker reflection of the Weave, granted to you by a Goddess that wishes for nothing more than a return to oblivion. And a Follower of Shar, is helping to make that possible.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:26 pm

As a side note, doesn't a clash of Weave vs. Shadow Weave create a tear in the fabric of reality thingy? Would that be portrayed in the game?
Chars: Aryvael et all.