Improving Game Economy

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Improving Game Economy

Post by Balek » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:00 pm

I've noticed a few things while playing this game, and one thing sticks out as a big problem to me. The economy in the game is somewhat askew, though I think it could be fixed with a few changes.

An important component to any game economy is the need for players to spend money. If a player can go out and gain an infinite amount of money given enough time, there must be something to offset that gain. The most convenient way to do this, in my opinion, is to increase how often armor and weapons damage. Expensive armor like platemail and even magical armors have to get damaged far more often than they do. If armor never gets damaged then fighters, paladins, and many priests rarely spend money on anything.

Another way to make players spend money is to increase the cost of potions and casting spells on other people. To accomplish the first, we add components to the brewing process. If brewing spells is more costly, priests and wizards will be forced to charge more for their potions, limiting their use (and thus helping to solve another problem). To accomplish the second, I suggest four things. First, significantly increase the rate at which components are used up when casting the spell on people other than yourself. Second, change the code so that persistent spell cannot be used to cast on others. Persistent spell could still be used in potions, but it requires even more expensive materials and will up the cost of the potion significantly.

Finally, we could consider establishing a 'standard price' for each spell, as well as modifiers for each metamagic feat. Roleplay circumstances could change the costs, but characters would generally be expected to charge at least the standard price.

To summerize:

-Increase the rate at which armor and weapons get damaged, including expensive and magical armor and weapons.
-Increase the cost of brewing immensely, by requiring additional expensive brewing-specific components.
-Increase the cost of brewing potions with metamagic feats even more than brewing normal potions.
-Increase the rate at which components are used up when casting spells on people other than the caster.
-Disallow the use of persistent spell on people other than the caster.
-Consider establishing 'standard prices' for spells.
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:12 pm

I'm confused by this post. When you talk about economy, do you mean the economy of an area, or PC economy? Because most of your suggestions would have no effect on area econony except repairing armour and buying more components.

As for making spell components be used up more... I have to disagree with this. It's been said before and I'll say it again, that it's difficult enough for wizards to make/keep money, we don't need to have to buy more and more components in addition to that.

I'm not sure what you see wrong with the economy? It's been established by the banking thread that we see it acceptable for so many people to have so much money. So most people seem to be rather well off, but there are still the players who find it IC for their characters to remain poor.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Balek » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:27 pm

The problem I see with the game economy (not area economy, though the constant need for repairs would help that), is that fighters/rangers/paladins/priests can all run around and solo areas because they have armor that doesn't damage and spells that almost never run out. They can make an infinite amount of money and never have any reason to spend it, except to enhance their characters in some way. When I talk about improving the economy of the game, I mean improving actual flow of money in the game.

Furthermore, by making spell components get used up more only when a spell is cast on other people, it will make casters NEED to charge money for their spells. In fact, if all casters need to charge money for their spells things will actually turn out better for all casters, since they will be able to charge fees for their services instead of being forced to cast spells on others for free or nearly free because if they don't, someone else will. By increasing usage of spell components when a spell is cast on someone else, we will actually INCREASE the income for wizards and priests.

Finally, I do not have a problem with someone having a lot of money. I will use my fighter, Balek, as an example of why the economy as it stands is not working. In several areas, it's possible for me to solo mobs that give a significant amount of coin per kill. Meanwhile, my armor and weapons do not damage and I use nothing consumable. I can then walk away and rest until the mobs respawn and continue to kill the same mobs over and over again for 100% profit. By increasing armor and weapon damage rates, we create a constant need for people to spend money, and the people with the heaviest, most expensive armor have to spend a significant amount to keep it in good shape. I am of the opinion that platemail armor should be expensive to buy and maintain. It should offer superior protection, but at a very high price.
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:42 pm

In several areas, it's possible for me to solo mobs that give a significant amount of coin per kill
Why do people do this? The point of this mud is NOT to kill mobs, gain coins, level, and train up. It's to roleplay. I tried the whole Hartsvale thing a couple of times, I couldn't get into it. If you feel something is wrong with soloing an area, feel free not to do it. Or at least bring a friend and have a little fun with it.

Regardless of that, I would like to see the flow of coin more between characters, ESPECIALLY to wizards/priests who brew. Consider the cost that a hired mage in a dwelling charges for each spell...
Teleport to a single limited location - 2000 gold per spell.
Comprehend languages - 50 gold per spell
Armor - 50 gold per spell
Shield - 50 gold per spell
Fly - 100 gold per spell
Invis - 200 gold per spell
Infravision - 50 gold per spell
Levitate - 100 gold per spell
Water breating - 150 gold per spell
Wow. 20 plat just for fly? And the cost of potions from mob merchants? I wholeheartedly support wizards and priests charging much more for their potions.
Last edited by Argentia on Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Athon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Athon » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:44 pm

I like most of your suggestions, Balek. However, I have not found it that entirely difficult for my wizards or priests to obtain money... not any harder than Moranall.

I do not believe that armour and weapons should be damaged at higher rates. This would create more of a hassle rather than boost RP.

On the other side of the coin, I would strongly encourage an increase of cost for wizardly spells/potions/scrolls. I would like to see more spells added to the brew list, mainly for priests, but at a much higher cost. Potions are sold for too cheap, in my opinion. I also do not think that potions should be able for purchase at NPC shops - it can quickly destroy an area economy. As for metamagic feats in brewing, they definately should be more expensive. However, I'm not sure if metamagic feats work with brew.

I do not believe that components should be used up faster when used on others. Casting spells on others should be a good source of income for the wizard. Too many PC wizards charge cheaply or they do not charge at all. PC wizards should be encouraged to charge more for their spells, maybe even more than a couple platinum per spell. These spells are incredibly powerful and worth paying well for. This ties into the use of persistent spell on other players. If you use metamagic feats, you should be able to earn more per spell. I would much rather prefer to see wizards be able to gain money off of spells, not limit how much they can cast on others.

Athon
~Vanguardier Athon, High Priest of Torm~
~Moranall, Fighter of Waterdeep~
Andreas
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

If it ain't broke...

Post by Andreas » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:50 pm

Don't fix it.

The game economies are just fine.

Increasing spell component costs makes things more difficult for wizards. And didn't we just have a big hue and cry over how difficult it already is to play that class?

Increasing damage rates for armour/weapons isn't good either. If you're in an area such as Undermountain or the Old School of Wonder (which are highly difficult areas to begin with) and can't get to a smith to repair your damaged armour/weapons, that's a sure ticket for death. Knowing your armour/weapons will fall apart before you can accomplish anything worthwhile will lead to a decrease in the already few number of people going to the difficult areas in the game.

I think the economies are fine the way they are. There are plenty of cities/towns/villages throughout the game where you can sell things. If you can't sell something in Waterdeep, try Berdusk or Westgate or one of the many merchants wandering along the roads. There are oppurtunites out there, you just have to look for them.
Helm keep thee.
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Balek » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:55 pm

I do not believe that components should be used up faster when used on others. Casting spells on others should be a good source of income for the wizard. Too many PC wizards charge cheaply or they do not charge at all.
This is exactly my point. By increasing the rate that components are used up when you cast on other people, casters will quickly realize that they have to charge money to cover the costs of casting on other people. When everyone starts charging money for spells, wizards in general will be better off.
Why do people do this? The point of this mud is NOT to kill mobs, gain coins, level, and train up. It's to roleplay.
I'm not here to answer questions about why people do what they do. I'm not really qualified to answer questions on that kind of subject. The fact is that people do that kind of thing. It's bound to happen in any game that has levels and skills and the like. This thread is not about preventing people from twinking, it's about offsetting the obscene amount of money a fighter or priest can gain when compared to a wizard who has to have his clothing repaired daily and his spell components restocked frequently. This thread is about creating built in ways to improve game economy, including causing armor to get damaged so that fighters and priests are forced to spend some of the massive fortune they can easily amass.
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Balek » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:04 pm

Increasing spell component costs makes things more difficult for wizards. And didn't we just have a big hue and cry over how difficult it already is to play that class?
You're right, we did. I'd like to ask you to thoroughly read my posts before making snide comments. To begin with, I do not believe that I suggested that we raise spell component prices. Secondly, increaseing the rate at which components are consumed when casting on other people serves as nothing more than an incentive for wizards and priests to start charging for their services. If wizards and priests must charge for their services, it opens the door for much higher prices for spells in general.
If you're in an area such as Undermountain or the Old School of Wonder (which are highly difficult areas to begin with) and can't get to a smith to repair your damaged armour/weapons, that's a sure ticket for death.
In no way am I recommending that we cause weapons and armor to fall apart at the drop of a hat. Any increase in damage rate, however, is a large increase over NEVER DAMAGING. Out of my three main characters, all three have armor that rarely if ever damages (the only time in recent memory that any of their armor damaged was when I was fighting a mob that used acid spells). A small increase in the rate at which armor damages would result in significant costs for people wearing heavy armor.
There are plenty of cities/towns/villages throughout the game where you can sell things.
Again, as I stated above, please understand that I am not talking about 'area economy'. I am talking about the actual flow of cash in the game. The actual procurement and use of money among the characters. I beg of you, please read previous posts thoroughly so that I don't have to continue repeating myself.
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Balek » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:19 pm

To clarify, I should point out that as far as armor damaging is concerned I am not supporing across the board increases in damage, nor am I a proponent of constant damage to each and every item you own. Cloth, leather, and even chainmail should probably continue to be damaged at the current rate. The main problem is platemail and magical armors. They never ever damage except when hit by certain spells. Without the need to spend money to repair armor, all killing of mobs is done at 100% profit.

What I'm proposing in terms of armor damage, is that armors that currently do not damage will start to be damaged sometimes. One damage every 25 or 50 fights is not going to leave your fighter naked or broke, it'll just cut into the obscene profit you make.
Lysha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Improving Game Economy

Post by Lysha » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm

Not all fighters who go out and fight make and have a ton of coin. Lysha, for example, is more often or not, flat-arse broke. Now, putting more damage on my armour per fight, I can't afford it. I am lucky if I have even 2 plat half the time.

I have to say I am not in favor of this. Leave it alone. If you want more money in the cities, wait untill we can have our own houses...then charge a residency tax. Maybe a couple gold per in game month or so.

And as for magical armour...it's magical! It can do just about anything it wants. Leave it alone.

Waterdeep, Zhentil Keep, Westgate, ect aren't going to go into economic chaos anytime soon because wizards aren't charging for spells and fighters aren't having their armour crunched.

::looks back up:: he he sounds like I'm mad, but I'm not.

Lysha already struggles with money and just thinking about having to pay even more to keep her armour up to snuff just is sad. Other than begging and such, she'd have to fight more, break her armour more, fight for money for that damage, get more damage....ect. I can hardly afford it now. I JUST got it all fixed up.

If it ain't broke, dun fix it! :)

::ducks::
Your punch viciously hammers a shark's abdomen.
A shark is stunned, but will probably recover.

http://www.elfonlyinn.net/d/20070925.html
Tandria
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tandria » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:49 pm

I think that wizards actually SELLING spells is an excellent idea. Many times when I have mentioned ICly the cost of my spells, people will blow that off and respond with "Pfft, Blah gives me my spells and potions for free" or "Blah gives me my potions for <insert dirt cheap price>". I don't really mind the persistent spells being cast on others, but certainly encreasing the rate that components are used up would help in this. This, however, should be mainly for the spells that are cost on others. Friends, dragonskin, and armor, to name a few.

I'm not sure how much I like the idea of armour damaging more, but maybe that depends on the armour. Leather and studded leather damages plenty at the moment, from what I've seen, and I wouldn't like to see magical armour damage more, simply for the fact that it is just that: magical. Aside from that, I don't believe there is currently a way for magical armour to be repaired. Certain types of armour, perhaps, such as chainmail and platemail, etc.

I think one of the main problems with economy is the fact that people will repeat trades over and over again, making large and expensive weapons and armour, and then will go sell them to mobs in cities to make cash instead of PCs. While this MUD is not a hack-and-slash-get-lotsa-money type of MUD, I have to disagree that those who make money and spend it in-game are twinks. Money-making, actually, can counter that entirely. People who spend time and IC money working on trades end up with plenty of RP when they are commissioned for work, and as trade materials are not often sold by mobs, it creates RP between the people selling them. Aside from that, PCs sometimes save up for dwellings which offer a new place for people to RP in, and sometimes new places to shop, etc. Added onto that, those who make money also will give it to newer players or characters, helping them to get started.

However, I am very much in favour in an economy boost. I think that one way to do this would also be to descrease the amount that NPC merchants pay for trade items. I walk into an inn on a normal day after about a week of the game being steady and crash-free, type list, and will often see "a (metal type) (weapon type)" going for close to 30 plat. I think that one of the main perks of trades should be the RP that comes with them and the money earned from the commissioning that takes place between PCs. Or, if this is codeable, make it so that Waterdeep merchants charge about half the price that merchants outside do to at least make people travel a bit to make their keep. :)
"May your travels be Wonderful and Mysterious."
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:58 pm

As I understand it, the problem Balek is trying to repair is that it is too easy for people to gain a lot of money, but have we ever had a problem specifically because people are too rich? Personally I don't think we do from what I've seen of the game. Furthermore, realistically, your character should constantly be making money, but in the game this only happens when the player is logged on, which may only be a small fraction of the character's IC lifetime. Thus, being able to easily make money is not overtly unbalancing or unrealistic, I think.
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Armor damage and repair

Actually, the need you identify, Balek, is not a general need for an increase in damage to armour, but rather an increase in damage for armour types that are never damaged. It is well known (most especially amongst twinks) that it suffices to buy some player-made armour to never again be troubled with repairs for example.

I'm not 100% sure how armour damage is calculated currently, but let's say that the "chance" for armour to be damaged with a blow is x %, depending on the type of armour. Currently, the values for x seem to be something like 20% for cloth armour (= gets damaged rought by one in five hits), 10% for leather armour, 2% for medium metal armour (chainmail for example), maybe 1% for heavy metal armour (non-magical platemail), and 0% (that is, never damaged) for magical metal armour and player-made pieces of armour (which are currently much better in quality and protection than any quest reward or supplicate items - though this is going to change).

Why not set this value "x" to something like "at least 5%"? That would mean that wearker armour wouldn't be more damaged, but that there would never be any armour that is 100% resistant to damage.

Another related suggestion

You point out as a problem the fact that some characters can solo and area, rest, then solo it again, and so on. Making all kinds of armour damage is one way to fix that. Another way is to remove auto-healing, making it necessary to find an inn and sleep or get a healer (priest, bard, paladin, ranger) along. Another change to make this work would be to increase the cost of npc-given healing spells (maybe not for level 30- but for higher levels).

More expensive spell components

I'm not sure if that would eventually achieve the desired goal. The only way to get there is to have ALL spellcasters understand that spells shouldn't be given off freely to other characters who then go and train/travel on their own, and to have ALL non-spellcasters accept that this cost has to be paid (unless they take the spellcasters along on a quest/trip/training) instead of having the "I'll look out for another spellcaster who does it for free" reaction.

I believe that a change to component cost might not guarantee that this would happen. It might be better to use (perhaps in addition to your idea) something IC to change the spellcasters' and non-spellcasters' behaviour. There are some ideas on the way for this to happen, too.

Another good discussion, Balek. Thanks for it, and keep ignoring the flame and snide comments.
Rhytania
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Rhytania » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:31 pm

The biggest problem that I can see with the economy is that it forgets about one large demographic, the mobs themselves. The mobs dont buy, the mobs dont consume, the mobs dont hoard. The mobs dont experiance the effects of a bad season, or a famine, they never eat, and basically have no needs.

I think personally that the mobs should have a little bit of tweaking with the sell progs. an earthstone will always cost x amount of coin (been a while, cant remember exactly), even if its the last earthstone in waterdeep (it happens more than you think). I suggest maybe something to the effect of a rarity check...the rarer the items are the more the prices go up. the more abundant they are the less they will cost, and the more they will buy from the pc's. Components are a big moneymaker in any city, but i remember the few times where it was all but impossible to find any except for the wilderness areas. I do not know if this was intentional or just merely accidental, but there was a major shortage of components. What resulted where parties of people going out just to collect components as large groups sometimes a lot bigger than most parties that usually go to Undermount, people where getting together haggling and selling components for almost rediculous amounts of coin. Wizards where selctive on whom and when spells where cast on, charging all sorts of coin just for the simplest of services.

If this could be coded i see it working as you go to buy a component and its in abundant supply so you pay regular price for it. you buy two or three of that item. just to be on the safe side. well two or three days later you have run out and now notice the prices have increased as the sell prog makes a check of the total amount of that item in the game, and adjusts it prices acordingly so for another two or three of that item, you are now paying double to triple, so you choose just to buy two, since you do not wish to lose too much coin. Well now you are walking around and x pc says spell me up, you say hold on the component you just paid nearly triple for has just become a little bit more valuable and now you tell him hey i need the coin to cover my costs, so x pc pays since it isnt too high. a few days later there is a scarcity among the shops for that item, and it is going for astronomical amounts of coin, but you really need it so you buy only one this time. and again x pc says spell me up, now you are extrememly cautious and wish to make some of your money back so you tell him look i need this much for it. he grumbles and mumbles and since everyone is in the same boat as far as components he has almost no choice but to agree.

now, you also look at the reverse, as a component becomes more scarce and the prices get a bit steeper so should the buy price. this will induce the pcs to go scavenging for these items and selling them back to the stores, knowing they will make a bit of extra money rather than the pittance most components usually go for, so now it comes full circle as more people sell to the stores, the less rare it becomes and price drops for both selling and buying. eventually it will balance itself out. and everyone sort of wins and loses.

couple this with the higher rate of use on the components and youll have a true supply demand economy. but dont stop there, arrows, stock weapons, armours, trade goods. all of this can be put intpo each scenario, as the demand for the armours become high pc armourers can sell for a better price to the stores, thus making more of a demand for the goods as hides and leathers, and making more of an interaction with the skinners and tanners, the same can be applied to bows and arrows, and furniture and clothing as more of a demand for the trades become avaible, in turn would the demand for the raw materials that come from it. thus everyone comes around full circle.
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:04 am

Allow me to suggest something different to solve the problem of monetary imbalance: decrease the amount of gold mobs drop. If you soloed Hartsvale for an hour and only recieved 2 plat as opposed to the 50 or however much you get now, it would make that platinum worth a whooooooole lot more.

Also, I wanted to point something out about armour. My non-character, non magical made platemail damages from time to time. I had player made ringmail that damaged at what I deemed an appropriate rate. I've seen characters wearing dwarven made scalemail that fell apart on them. Most armour can and DOES get damaged. So it seems only platemail is the culprit here. :wink: Though to me, masterly made dwarven platemail should not be damaged often at all, but I would agree that it should damage sometimes. If I were to give a number, I would say 5% or less chance of damaging.
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Balek » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:36 am

I disagree that we should decrease the amount of money mobs drop. If you examine how things are now, you see that wizards generally have a difficult time gaining coin and warriors have an easy time. Decreasing the amount of coin dropped from mobs affects both slow-gaining wizards and fast-gaining warriors equally, and also does nothing to solve the problem of warriors getting money at 100% profit.

By decreasing coins dropped from high level mobs, you essentially make it more difficult for everyone who have armor that DOES get damaged, since they have to make that limited coin stretch farther. At the same time, the people with invulnerable armor can still run around with nothing to spend money on, they just gain money less quickly. This option doesn't really address the situation.

Only by creating something that warriors need to spend money on that no one else does will we solve this problem. The only thing I can think of that warriors would have to spend money on that other people would not have to is their indestructable armor. By changing things so that even the 'indestructable' armors take damage occasionally, they will have to spend some of that money and they will acquire coin at a rate more similar to everyone else.

I feel that it's imporant to note, I want the current 'indestructable' armors to get damaged at a very slow rate. They are heavy, well made armors, and they do cost a lot to repair. If it was changed so that these things do damage, we would want to test the changes heavily so that we do not end up making the armor damage so much that no one can use it. If we accomplish some happy balance between damaging constantly and not damaging at all, it's going to enhance the game, not leave anyone naked, dead or poor.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Improving Game Economy

Post by Kregor » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:00 am

Balek wrote:The main problem is platemail and magical armors. They never ever damage except when hit by certain spells. Without the need to spend money to repair armor, all killing of mobs is done at 100% profit.
Last I took a fighter in normal steel plate armour down just to the 2nd level of Undermount, I ended up with 20+ plat in repairs to it all told. I ended up spending more in repairs than the quest paid out. Steel damages real well, and as far as the resistance of armour like titanium and mitrhil, they should be more resilient. Which is why there *should* be a larger initial cost outlay for those armours than the stock steel you can buy in armour shops. Alas I have personally seen the same undercharging talked about in potions and spells, apply to user-created armour and weapons at times as well. If we will fault the mages for spelling fighters up on the cheap, it's only fair to fault some smiths for equipping them on the cheap.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Jadom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Jadom » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:55 am

Also, making components burn up faster for casting on others seems self-defeating. This also applies to making brewing more expensive. Ultimately it is up to the wizard's themselves to start charging appropriately for their services. Increasing the price of brewing, or the burn rate of components will force them to raise their prices yes...but just to cover expenses.

I've never paid much attention (having never bought a potion) so not sure what the average is, but say a wizard sells a potion for 2 plat now...and a change is made where it costs him 4 platinum to brew the potion, so he starts charging 6 plat for a potion..the overall price has gone up, but the wizard is not coming out any better than he did before, and the fighter/priest/thief whatever is still paying much less than he would for the potions sold by NPC's.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:43 am

What about changing the rate at which we get hungry?
Yes I know it is already very quick for us players but hear me out. In towns and cities there is no reason why you can't stop by an inn and grab a bite to eat.With the idea to remove the auto heal this would give us just another reason to go to an inn. So what I am suggesting is that we make it so when you are in a city you get hungry faster.

Oh this would also pull rp out to places like bars and inns.(Why I am always begging for I do not know) The major problem I see with this idea is that leaving town would be much more difficult. Perhaps we could get some new food items, like a weeks worth of rations that you would eat and it would then become 6 days worth of rations, then 5 and so on.... I don't even know if thats possible.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:44 am

First of all, Balek, I applaude you for your very well thought out and written post and your ability to keep a cool head in dealing with the flaming that comes from people not quite so able to do so in their counter-points.

As to my own reply, it will not be nearly as well thought out as your own, but here it is...

Im not sure exactly how I feel about making armor damage, on one hand, this would indeed allow fighters to slow down the coin they gain, on the other, it would defeat the whole purpose of MAGICAL equipment. I do not beleive that magical armor should damage, as that is the whole point of magical armor.

I would also like to add that player-made armor, no matter how good it is, would still be the equivalent of masterwork armor in D&D. There is only one (according to the DMG) non-magic armor that is as good as magical armor, but this comes more from the material that it is made of (and no, titanium is not this material), than the skill of the smith. This armor is Adamantium armor and it is non-magical armor equivalent to +2 magical armor. If a smith wanted to make armor equivalent to magical armor, then they would need special, or magical materials.

Besides, you have to remember, they are still only mundane smiths, not enchanters, they may be really really good smiths, but still only smiths.

As to using up components faster, please take into consideration, some wizards it is not in their roleplay or in their faith to cast spells upon others. This would make it so that they lose more money at a faster rate from simply casting upon themselves. Before anyone says, they could sell potions, yes, but wouldnt that equal out to the same thing? If it is not in your roleplay to sell a spell to another, why is it to sell a potion of a spell to another? The same goes with faith and disfavour.
Dalvyn wrote:Another related suggestion

You point out as a problem the fact that some characters can solo and area, rest, then solo it again, and so on. Making all kinds of armour damage is one way to fix that. Another way is to remove auto-healing, making it necessary to find an inn and sleep or get a healer (priest, bard, paladin, ranger) along. Another change to make this work would be to increase the cost of npc-given healing spells (maybe not for level 30- but for higher levels).
Dalvyn, instead of removing auto-healing altogether, perhaps instead it would be better to remove auto-healing in between days? I shall not mention who, but I have three characters, at least, who do not enter cities often (two are priests, but thats besides the point). Perhaps a better suggestion would be, remove healing every tick, and instead make it so that say, midnight of every night, you heal a large percentage of your health back (based on your con and level, of course), this would mean they would still have to wait a while for their health to come back, but it would be a solution to those who cannot reach a priest or a tavern, or it simply is not in their roleplay to.

If its not broke, then why are people still wanting to fix it?

Thanks,
A very tired and sweepy Glim who actually got up the nerve the read this long thread and post a meager response to it.
Last edited by Glim on Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...