Block

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Natasha
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Block

Post by Natasha » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:52 pm

Since parry only allows you to block incoming weapon attacks, I suggest we create a new skill called block that would include things like grabbing the person's wrist before it gets to you, blocking with a forearm, etc. This would allow unarmed people to block, but not parry, armed people to do both, possibly Priests to get block for things like staves, etc.

Natasha
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:25 pm

Had something like this going on another forum under skills. started as doorblock but developed. http://www.forgottenkingdoms.com/board/ ... 5c8b076b82
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:38 pm

Wait, Gwain, the two skills are different.

Doorblock and additions were proposed as abilities to keep people from entering/leaving rooms.

This is intended to be a combat skill, like parry, not something to stop movement.

They are very different skills, just the titles sound pretty much the same. :wink:
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:30 pm

So this is different in parry in that it:

1. allows unarmed people to use it
2. allows non warrior classes to get a parrying skill (it still blocks the attack)

Would it allow riposte?

I think that block for priests would kind of up their power a bit too much. Priests are pretty strong as it is, being able to deflect a lot of incoming attacks should remain warrior only IMO.
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:30 pm

I would disagree, though I might be mistaken, the earlier posting developed into talking about stopping people from entering, though, in all respects this deals with a combat block and might seem different. They are some simularities thoug hthe other is more for stopping up entrances and holding pc's at bay. while this idea which is very good is more combat centered maybe there is a way to combine them?
Last edited by Gwain on Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:32 pm

Yeah, essentially this is a combat skill while the other (while very likely to be used before combat) would be more of a movement related skill.
Cyric
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Cyric » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:26 am

Blocking something with a stave would fall into parry, I believe, as the description for the OP's suggestion is blocking via, "grabbing a person's wrist, blocking with a forearm", etc. is a bit more complex and a bit more high stakes than simply parrying. A parry involves 4 feet of steel getting in the way of the enemies blow - Not very hard, but if tactfully done, can set up for another attack (Riposte).

This skill, from the sounds of it, is more complex than Parry itself, as it entails locating the source or fulcrum of power, and then reacting fast enough to stop the power at it's source. High DEX and decent STR would be needed to succeed in hypothetical Block, which would put it on par with the Fighter's, and perhaps the Ranger's class (But not the Priest's class, as it tends to have extremly low DEX) -- Two classes that already have Dodge and Parry and do not need any other damage nullification at this point.