Death: pain or opportunity?

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Rorix
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Rorix » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:41 pm

That sounds like a good alternative to this idea. I think 5 - 10 min. is enough time. It will still force them to think over the options they may have, but in the end will not restrict them from going through with the decision. I am fairly sure most people know the consequences of this action, but I still think there should be a conformation echo telling you what will happen and asking you if you are sure you want to go through with it. Nice alternate solution Exer.

Rad Adam - the Eye of the Storm
"So Lonestar, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."
Rorix
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Re: RE: Kismet cost for Reincarnate

Post by Rorix » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:58 pm

Andreas wrote:I don't think newbies skip the praying option because they don't have a faith, I think it's because they don't realise they can pray to GODS instead of just one specific god.
While I still feel that not having a faith deters players from praying (from personal and other's experience when we were new), I do agree that players do not realize they can pray to the gods as a whole. Any ideas for how we could more readily let players know this is an option? It is in the help file, so I guess I do not see any other way to let people know. Maybe in the echo I suppose.

Rad Adam - the Eye of the Storm
"So Lonestar, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Reincarnate and Kismet cost

Post by Kregor » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:28 pm

So in a prompt that would pop up, saying "are you sure you want to reincatnate" include the fact that a player can pray to GODS as one of the options, meaning all of them, and if they really really still want to reincarnate, they'll have to type "yes." to do it.

Maybe education can take the place of kismet punishment, or like was said above, nothing for a <lvl10, a point or two for >lvl10 (which someone >lvl10 should at least have an hour under their belt, and a 1 kisment penalty would seem like a large cost to a newbie for carelessness about death.) and a sizeable penalty for a higher level player who goes that route. Sadly I have seen at least one experienced player with plenty of kismet racked up, with priests online, hit reincarnate within seconds of dying.

Of course, I like the delay time too.... I think both.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Tandria
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tandria » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:09 pm

I really, really like this idea.

All too often have I seen the death, reincarnate, get stuff quick and go back to what was going on before. The cost of kismet to reincarnate would stress the importance of RPing out deaths and looking for PC or imm help before doing that.

I like Andreas's suggestion about making the cost increase with levels. Generally at lower levels, the PC knows fewer people and is less likely to find someone to help 'em out. Plus, the option is available to those playing when imms are less likely to play.

Thank you for suggesting this. I don't like the reincarnate command, but I don't think it should be taken away as an option.
"May your travels be Wonderful and Mysterious."
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:30 pm

Might I suggest something else as well?

I have seen all too many times, a PC reincarnate in the market square, everyone worried about said PC's health then they get up and walk away like nothing happened. What about a 5-10 minute or so delay where you get the echo, "You are too weak" where you can smote, drink, etc. but cannot stand up, walk around, or walk in any direction.

It wouldn't allow the PC to get up and walk off, but would allow them to RP. I also think this would make people RP reincarnation more.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:50 pm

I'm for reincarnation being free before level 10 or even higher, kismet or constition included. This coming from the view of a player that had just started playing and had died multiple times before even having been greeted. Had there been no reincarnation I would not be playing this game.
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:39 pm

When I was playing tabletop, everyone who died and was raised, short of divine resurrection, lost a constitution point, every single time it happened. Not to mention the percent chance you failed the raising and died permanently. All standard rules, by the book.

So, IMHO, losing a constitution point for only using what is a last resort, non-IC method to come back to life, is getting off easy.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:44 pm

Not strictly true :) When I played tabletop, it was impossible to die unless you are being stupid, what with luck checks for everything and nice DMs.
Tyr
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tyr » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:50 pm

There are already two recent changes that have been coded with respect to dying.

First, when you are brought back, you are now affected by the death physically. Your stats are temporarily lowered. The amount and duration they are lowered depends on how you are brought back. Reincarnation being the worst and resurrection being the least bad.

Second, there is now a timer when you die. Each death increases this timer. At certain points different options of coming back to life become unavailable to you. Dying the first time has no restrictions. If you die a second time in short order, however, you will not be allowed to reincarnate. Playing without dying will reduce this timer over time so that if you die again a month later you will again still have all options open to you.

Tyr
Jerilim

Post by Jerilim » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:48 pm

Well, considering my recent mishap, I suppose I can take a minute to take some good from it... While dead I noticed that one can in fact type account but not kismet. Tis all.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:33 pm

There are many actions you can not do in death. Kinda frustrating when I wanted to take the time to change my desc. and title :)
Athon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Athon » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:53 pm

I think that when dead, one should be able to put the 'afk' tag up while dead. That way players trying to raise will know when the dead player is online.
~Vanguardier Athon, High Priest of Torm~
~Moranall, Fighter of Waterdeep~
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:21 pm

Tyr wrote: First, when you are brought back, you are now affected by the death physically. Your stats are temporarily lowered. The amount and duration they are lowered depends on how you are brought back. Reincarnation being the worst and resurrection being the least bad.

Tyr
I find that resurrection lasts for quite some time and raise dead only a while
Sia
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Sia » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:13 pm

Does death affect your mental health status as well?

Sia/Lyrie