Who List and Magic Mirror with Pkills

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Who List and Magic Mirror with Pkills

Post by Hviti » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:36 pm

Alright, this came up in a recent Pkill incident, so I would like to get a few people's opinions on it.

Let's take Mike the average ranger, Pat the average wizard, Bob the average orc, and Joe the average other orc.

Mike has Bob cornered and after enumerating his crimes against the world is going into Pkill RP, he happens to check the who list and sees Joe on. He asks Pat to magic mirror Joe to see if he might be close enough to make him have second thoughts about continuing (here is one point where, depending on how much RP goes into the magic mirror and asking, there could be different opinions on this matter).

Joe is seen somewhere a good distance off.

Joe shows up at the Pkill scene, having heard Mike yelling something along the lines of "I'm going to kill you" (evidently at Bob)

Now, he doesn't participate at all, but is still there (which may or may not be covered in Pkill rules).

Is the yelling good enough cause for Joe to show up if he can hear it? Is his level of participation alright? Is Mike's asking Pat to keep tabs on Joe alright? Is Pat's using the who list or magic mirroring Joe alright?

There are many other questions, but I'd like to see what this produces in the way of opinions.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:21 am

Using the Who list is not against the rules at this time. If this discussion warrants it, we can re-examine the issue. It is a fair enough way to check to see if "Bob" starts having friends login who weren't on before.

Magic Mirror is a spell in the game. I see no reason why it shouldn't be used in the manner described. It should be accompanied with rp. And if "Pat" was in the same room, he should be subject to the "no meditate/no memorize" rule stated in the Pkill FAQ.

There are specific rules listed in the Pkill FAQ that explain what distances are acceptable in what areas to be traveresed to come to a pkill, even as just a witness. The fact that a PC can hear someone yelling does not automatically make that person close enough to enter the rp, though if the PC is within the distance set forth in the Pkill FAQ he certainl can join in.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:47 am

I am going to answer the questions as I read them, hehhehehe.

No,yes,no,no and yes.

Here is how I see it. You stated that Joe is a good distance off, which means many many rooms away on the mud which means hundreds of miles away. There is no way he would actually have heard the yelling.

His level of participation is exactily where it should be. He knew he was too far away to participate in the rp so he came in and watched, I think this is very cool. Personally if I have another person watching the rp the effert steps up a notch.

The next question in my opinion is a difficult one. I say no don't keep tabs on wheather or not characters are on or not. Your rp should not change according to who is on the who list. But for some it might be in character to keep track of enemies.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Tyr
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tyr » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:31 pm

Keeping track of who is online at once is what the who command is for.

In an IC sense, PCs are ALWAYS in the game so being able to see who is on the game at once is just a way of countering the fact that players have to log off sometimes.

What the who list is NOT meant for is to tell you IC information about a character that you would not have otherwise. For example their name or deity/title if not greeted.

Tyr
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:57 pm

In an IC sense, PCs are ALWAYS in the game so being able to see who is on the game at once is just a way of countering the fact that players have to log off sometimes.
Alright, thanks, that was going to be my next question. :D
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:15 pm

Just want to check this, as I saw it come up today...players in a Pkill cannot call up another player to, say, hand over some coin to get around the 'don't call friends from over ten rooms away', correct?
Jerigo
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Jerigo » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:55 am

It seems to me like that would be a deliberate attempt to circumvent the rules, which would not be good. That's just my take on it, though, I could be wrong.