Smoking

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Angelita

Smoking

Post by Angelita » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:12 am

I was wondering since we have pipes in the game if it would be possible to have ciggarettes since we have tabbaco already and could use paper to "roll" the cig... Just curious since pipes get raised eyebrows towards women

Angelita
Citorae
Katie
Akela
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Akela » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:49 am

Thats a good idea, a people can set up little 'shops' and sell then for 2 or 3 copper a piece.
Griselda The Rash, Marilyn, Brier
---He without sin casts the first stone.---
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:15 am

The use of tabbaco in cigarette form is a very, very recent thing, probably began around the 1850's during the crimean war, as a quick and effective way to smoke. Cigarettes tend to have a considerable amount of modern chemicals in them, though they seem to be fixtures in society at large, it is a rarity that they would even exist in the fk time period.

Cigars on the the other hand debuted in the 1500's and remained quite common though the 19th century while cigarettes remained obscure. I can see these being used in limited quantity and time during the fk period.

Now, for the case of women smoking pipes I can only say that it's up to how other people interpret what you are doing as obscure or not. I looked on line at historical examples of women smoking pipes and found few, but I think there is no reason that they can not if they choose to. If it is in your rp and freely available to you then if you have reason and can take ic reaction then you should not feel threatened :).
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Smoking

Post by Kregor » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:55 am

Raised eyebrows would be coming from players' modern perspective on smoking, much like RPs are sometimes played out based on modern perspectives on religion, philosophy, tolerance, and etc.

Just look at it with the perspective that the FR universe is a pseudo-medieval society. While it also mixes in elements of dark ages, Greco-Roman, and even early rennaisance here and there, it is still such a time as to make it very anachronistic to have cigarettes in the game as much as it would to have Coca-cola. In that time, pipes were the way to smoke, and a female smoking a pipe probably shouldn't ICly get even as much of a raised eyebrow as a woman smoking a cigar would in current era.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Angelita

Post by Angelita » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:05 pm

Alright was just curious although I think mothers who smoke while they are pregnant with a child is digusting but if its your own body knock yourself out. But I didnt know that about cigarettes Gwain thanks for the interesting info... Cigars might me interesting to have in the game, but I can live with a pipe.

Angelita
Katie
Citorae