Bank limits and fees

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Bank limit

Post by Kregor » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:53 am

I would think it arguable if societally, Faerun is in it's late middle ages. It seems much more ancient in many ways.

Any references as to how moneychanging worked in the actual FR setting? Andreas? ;)
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:51 pm

I think we are a bit more medieval than that...
But sure, we could expand this game in that direction, we can make bankers, investers and investees players, so that lvl 1s can manage huge businesses through RP and be very, very rich. And then we can increase bank allowance.

First, you can drag in the player base needed for this, and do the extensive coding.
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:53 pm

Alright I have been gone for about a week, driving arround the country on tour. I have been on the road since wednesday so I am a bit tired and don't have the energy to look back at my older posts. So if I already said this I am sorry.

I read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and in one of the books a character goes to her bank to make a transaction. The book talks of her having to negotiate the terms of her account if I remember correctly. She had to pay the banker to hold her money. It was a small montly or yearly fee. Bankers were neutral and rich. They were wealthy because if you wanted security you had to pay for it.

We could do that. You pay the bank a certain ammount and it raises the cap on your account for a certain length of time. When that time runs out if you havn't repaid for another term and you have over the original limit the bank would subtract coin from your account to pay for your extended service.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Belose
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Belose » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:16 am

I just saw that reference to the Wheel of Time series and it made me think of something similar that would also work well, and that was from the Deeds of Paksanarrion <sp>? And her being on the route to paladinhood....well, I think that lil banking bit was wonderful to the plotline...hehehe
What the Mind of a man can conceive, the Will of a man can achieve.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:50 pm

If there is much disagreement about the current bank system, a player could do well to make a PC banker that holds the money.
Tandria
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tandria » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:01 pm

That's a VERY good idea, Isolrem! That promotes good RP all over the place right there. Great suggestion! :)
"May your travels be Wonderful and Mysterious."
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:19 pm

One minor problem I would like to point out with that. A pc banker would only be able to help maybe a 1/3 of the player population. If that. Not to be negative but think about this, lets say Kirkus walks into Bob the PC bankers shop. Kirkus pays Bob to hold onto some money, he hands over the vast number of lootin' sacks filled with coins. Great, find, and dandy. Now the next night Kirkus logs on Bob isn't arround but Kirkus wants to buy something. What is he to do? Hmm we got a problem. Now compound that accross the average number of players on at a time and we got about 20 to 30 problmes.
We don't, at least I don't want to have people logging off with my coin and no way to know when the next time will be that I will be able to access it.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:32 pm

The afformentioned idea I think was mostly suggested to people who are saving for a dwelling, because anyone who is not simply... Well, what do you need all that money for? For those of you who have more than 1000 plat and wish to keep your money with a PC banker, you still have that 1000 plat in the bank. You can still buy with that, yes? Unless you decide you reeeeeally want that Bracer player Gompers has and you want to pay 1001 plat for it... I think you'll be alright. :wink:

But you do have a valid point, you do not know when the next time player Banker will log back on. I know myself and a few companions of mine lost a few quest reward items in an RP(It was completely legit, so no complaints) and soon after the player who took the aformentioned items stopped playing on the Mud. So now, no items. :cry: If player Banker were to mysteriously dissapear, there could be a Mud-wide depression! Except without the whole stock market thing.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:50 pm

I think, perhaps, if admins get into the idea, then things could be arranged.
As for players serviced, that should not be a problem. There are few really that rich, right?
Right?
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:05 am

You know I hate fighting you two on this issue. I feel like I have been one of the few who has always brought the issue back when noone else wanted to talk about it. Let me reitterate my own points from earlier in the discussion. 1000 plat is not that much. There are many people who are that rich. The minimum cost to start a dwelling is 1000. You can check the help files and unless they have changed a dwelling costs 500 a room and the builders won't build less then 2 rooms. Add on to that the prices for servants for your dwelling and any various safeguards you want to put on. Oh but wait you can't because It would be a waist of time. Now as to who would want to hoard coin like that.... anyone might. You don't have to a crazy evil psycopath to want to hoard treasure to make a dragon envious. I know people who have carts of bags of money.
Jadom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Jadom » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:36 am

True, but if your hoarding money for the sake of hoarding money, and you won't trust another player with it, then you're pretty much left to take the risk of leaving it on animals or carrying around several hundred pounds worth of coin. As said, really the only thing you could possibly need that much money for is a dwelling, so if you just want to count your shiney coins, be aware that someone else might like to get some of those coins.
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Balek » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:15 am

I don't think it's really an issue if someone makes an OOC decision to horde coins. There is no limit to the amount of money on the game. Mobs will not stop dropping coins if people have too many. The fact that one person has lots of coins does not cause a shortage for anyone else. There is no OOC moral problem with hording coins. I have no problem with having IC issues with someone who chooses to horde money instead of using it or donating it to charity, but to use the "What use do you have for that much money?" line as a reason to not look at raising the bank limit is somewhat pointless. It doesn't matter what use they have for the coins. Whether someone has a use for the coins has no bearing on whether it would be useful or possible to raise the bank limit.

The point of this thread is to discuss the possibility of raising the bank limit. If this requires too much work for the potential benefit or is not possible due to code limitations, then that's that and nothing can be done. If you don't think we should raise the bank limit, focus on why it would not be worth the work to raise the limit instead of telling us that it's not useful because no one should have that much money.

As for me, I have one character who has gone over the bank limit, he's my only character saving for a house. I think that for the players who are saving for houses, a raised bank limit would be very much appreciated. Whether it would be worth changing would depend entirely on the work it would take compared to the likely limited need for this in the player community.
Caius
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Caius » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:52 am

I think another reason to horde money is if you happen to be the matermind type. You could use your money to pay off other player characters to do your dirty work. The more money you have to offer, the more likely they will do your devilish plans.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
Crunk
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Crunk » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:47 pm

*applauds balek, caius, kirkus, and belose (maybe 1 more)*

*facedesks at the rest*
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:06 pm

The way I see it is,(and it does not matter to me either way, as none of my characters reach the bank limit) the only people who truly have a use for over 1000 plat are those who are saving up for a dwelling. 1000 plat is a FORTUNE in terms of an FR world; if you want to have a rich person who sits on a horde greater than a dragon's, 1000 plat is enough to be considered that. :lol:
Let me reitterate my own points from earlier in the discussion. 1000 plat is not that much. There are many people who are that rich.
Maybe we have taken money too lightly, then, if so many people are that rich. How many people do you know in RL that have, oh, say a billion dollars? Let's lower that and say one million. If you do not think that real life reflects FR, then how about in Medievil times? How many people then would be so rich?

Look at it this way, though: if we have so many people who have over 1000 plat that we need to raise the bank limit, we might as well lower the amount of coins mobs drop/lower the selling values of items. There is no reason for every adventurer and his brother to be richer than an Amnish Waukeenite.
There is no limit to the amount of money on the game. Mobs will not stop dropping coins if people have too many. The fact that one person has lots of coins does not cause a shortage for anyone else.
We as players must then take responsibility. Just because we CAN go out and kill hoards of goblins and take and keep all their money does not mean we HAVE to; in a real world every goblin would not drop a few silver, as there are only so many coins in the world and in order for one man to be rich, another man must be poor.

It is just that in my opinion, the only people it would truly benefit are those who are saving up for a dwelling. And those people should be the veterans, the experienced RPers who would be willing to find alternative ways to hold onto their coin.(And some great ideas here have been suggested - I am particuliarly fond of the idea of asking a character with an existing dwelling to hold onto the coin)

Suppose also that the bank limit is raised. What would you do with your coins? Deposit them, right? And then what? They would sit there most likely, just like the 1000 plat that already sits in the account. Should the limit be raised just so the coins can sit there?

I do not mean my words as a bash, I do not mean them to solely argue. Just remember that there are many things the coders must tend to, and this may not be the most urgent. :) Ask yourself if raising the bank limit is really worth the trouble. If yes, then fine. If no, then fine.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Caius
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Caius » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:27 pm

Argentia wrote:1000 plat is a FORTUNE in terms of an FR world
FR is not always a good model for FK. How many lvl 50 characters are there in FR? Should we limit the number of high level players too?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:30 pm

I would not object to making leveling up take longer, but that is not the issue of this thread.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:54 pm

No Caius wasn't asking if you think we should make gaining levels take longer. He was asking if you think we should LIMIT the number. Say only allow 10 level 50's, 20 level 40's, 30 level 30's. Something like that.

Alright now I am going to point out that this is a game. We can try to make it as close to real life as we want but it is still a game. I don't run arround Final Fantasy kill a bunch of mobs grab the coin and xp and then say you know this is not realistic, I better drop some coin so I am more like real life. I know many people will jump on for short periods of time just to fight some mobs train and gain some coin. I used to do that between classes. If you want to tell me I was wrong you can send me a personal message I will tell you what I think about that.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that the coders drop everything and do this now.

I would write more but I have school work to do.

oh and by the way...... I spent the weekend sitting arround with millionares.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Banks exchanging money

Post by Isolrem » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:44 pm

It used to be that if one was carrying a large amount of silvers and coppers, one could deposit at the bank and withdraw for more managable coins. Now with the 10% cut bankers make, it is less done, but I think banks should provide this service without charge (or maybe a 1% one, tops)
So can we make it that when you give money to a banker, he returns in as few coins as possible?
e.g. give 1676 coppers banker
banker gives 3 platinums, 1 gold, 1 electrum, 2 silver, 6 copper
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:39 pm

You could consider it a rate of exchange if you wanted to, like a service charge for using the bank to change coin.