Clarification on Still Spell Feat

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Nerre
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Clarification on Still Spell Feat

Post by Nerre » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:29 pm

From the helpfile...
[b]HELP STILL SPELL[/b] wrote:Still Spell Feat
================
With this feat you can cast spells without gestures. Combined with the
silent spell feat this makes your spell casting virtually undetectable until
the spell is cast. If there is no material components for a spell you are
able to cast spells without arms with this feat. This feat makes the spell
cost more mana.

This feat is a metamagic feat.

This feat has no pre-requisites.
However, I am unable to cast spells with full hands still. Did I misunderstand this feat?
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:35 pm

Did you set "combatmode +still spell"? Without the combatmode set, it casts normally, so you have the option of using the extra mana or not.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Nerre
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Nerre » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:39 pm

...oh my god. I never knew that we had to set combatmodes for those feats. Good grief! I've got two or three Feats in this list!

I must have missed that. Thanks, man, thanks a bunch!
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:25 pm

lol... I first thought all the metamagic feats I trained was being used, too, and was wondering "why do they cost so little mana"

Maybe there should be a note at the help file of every such feat?
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Nerre
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Nerre » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:15 am

Isolrem wrote:lol... I first thought all the metamagic feats I trained was being used, too, and was wondering "why do they cost so little mana"

Maybe there should be a note at the help file of every such feat?
That's not a bad idea at all...
Nerre: I have known that man for nearly one hundred years, human. Do you truly think that you can dictate a strategem about his maneuvers better than I can after a mere thirty minutes' lesson? I thought not... you're dismissed.
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:09 am

Lathander wrote :

Agreement Posts

Please refrain from using server space to post your agreement with previous posts. Reading several, one-line, Agreement Posts in a row can become a bit annoying. If someone posts a good idea, the idea speaks for itself and does not require a multitude of "I like that idea" follow-ups. If you have constructive things to add and want to throw in a comment agreeing with a previous post as reference, that is fine. What we want to avoid are posts that contain no constructive addition to the discussion.

Here are a few examples of things to avoid. There are, or course, many more variations.

* I agree.
* That's a good idea.
* Cool, dude.
* bump
* Yeah, what that other guy said.
* Good one!
Best to let posts speak for themselves, good ideas can get lost if they're hidden behind a bunch of 'yeah, what he said' posts :wink:
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:34 am

Kelemvor wrote:
Lathander wrote :

Agreement Posts

Please refrain from using server space to post your agreement with previous posts. Reading several, one-line, Agreement Posts in a row can become a bit annoying. If someone posts a good idea, the idea speaks for itself and does not require a multitude of "I like that idea" follow-ups. If you have constructive things to add and want to throw in a comment agreeing with a previous post as reference, that is fine. What we want to avoid are posts that contain no constructive addition to the discussion.

Here are a few examples of things to avoid. There are, or course, many more variations.

* I agree.
* That's a good idea.
* Cool, dude.
* bump
* Yeah, what that other guy said.
* Good one!
Best to let posts speak for themselves, good ideas can get lost if they're hidden behind a bunch of 'yeah, what he said' posts :wink:
Yeah... what he said!

sorry... had to... but no... really
in the help file it says that you could cast w/o arms if you had no components.... what if you have a spell pouch?... do you still need arms for the component if you have a pouch?
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:19 am

Yeah, still spell only removes the gestures of the spell (e.g. clap your hands wouldn't need the clapping any more). It doesn't remove the spell components (e.g. clap your hands and lick an ice cream cone would need hands to get the cone to your mouth). Er, getting to the main question (I think).

The need for hands with components applies regardless of spell pouches; spell pouches are there simply for convenience because it'd be a pain to have to get out a bunch of components every time you had a spell to cast (it would eat a bunch of inventory too). IC you really did get the component out of the pouch and manipulate it - it didn't just disappear out of the pouch (although the echos and stuff make it look like that is the case).