Meditate Skill Levels and Pulse

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:19 am

I was thinking:

Would it be possible to make it so that the higher your skill level at meditating is, the higher you regain your pulse after a battle? This would reflect how long it takes you to regain inner peace after such conflict.

Just an idea, feedback is always welcome,
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Athon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Athon » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:09 am

I really like this idea, Glim. To me, it makes sense that after years spent training, a true master would be able to collect his thoughts in a moment's notice.

However, this could also be further extended, perhaps. A skill in its own. It would basically be considered 'composure' or something along those lines. It could determine how quickly you recuperate after a battle, how quickly you can regain your mental focus, and maybe even more factors. The only drawback is that I see no real way of seeing a way of improving codewise.

As Glim stated, feedback is always welcomed.
~Vanguardier Athon, High Priest of Torm~
~Moranall, Fighter of Waterdeep~
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Balek » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:25 pm

Maybe the length of the 'no meditating' period could be based on both meditate skill level and concentration skill level.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:32 am

Balek's idea might have merit, though could you perhaps state why that would be better than using just meditate alone?

Athon, the reason I chose meditate was because it is a skill already coded and one that many wizards already use. I think that it would be easier to modify the newly created pulse code to a skill that is already used and almost every wizard knows than instead make a brand new skill just for the purpose of reducing the amount of time before you can meditate. This would reduce all the extra work of adding the skill to the new class files and adding new trainers for the skill in the game.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Teyn
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Teyn » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:58 pm

Quick question: What about fighters/warriors/etc?

It seems logical that fighting classes would be more used to battle and more able to calm themselves and gain composure after a battle, but I'm pretty sure I read something about these classes not having, and never will have this ability (espeacily where it's affected by armour). Thus, were it to be tied to meditation, fighter classes wouldn't be able to use a skill which is more likely better suited to them.

So as i said, what about these classes?

(Sorry for dredging up and old topic)
Lea
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Lea » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:55 pm

Fighters don't need to meditate and the only warrior class this affects is the rangers. But they have had to deal with being unable to meditate and most do just find without it. They know when they create the character they don't get this skill. Rangers don't depend on spells alone to keep them safe unlike clerics and mages.
Taerom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Taerom » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:08 pm

So base it on concentration, which fighters can train.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Thu May 04, 2006 7:50 pm

Concentration seems to have little to do with how fast you can gather your mind... and a new skill would probably balance it out more

It's not only about casting spells, there's significance in a weaponmaster being able to "cool his mind and collect his thoughts before the blood dries on his blade"

edit : I brought up this before, but it was quickly shot down, explaining that the set time of post-combat adrenaline is for game balance, has this changed now?
Chars: Aryvael et all.