Spell Focus and Spell Mastery

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Spell Focus and Spell Mastery

Post by Hviti » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:00 am

Ok, having read the helpfile to spell focus, I still have a couple of questions on it. The helpfile says that you have "A special knack with a chosen spell", and are able to train it up to from inept to GM by using 5 spell focus slots. Does that mean that if one has the spell at, say journeyman, it would only take, say, 3 slots to train the spell to GM? If so, can the two remaining slots be used for a different spell, or are they just wasted?

Also, since spell mastery has two slots, but the spell's helpfile does not indicate that it needs to be used more than once, does that mean that spell focus is intended to involve up to two spells?
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:05 am

Spell Focus Feat
================
This feat enables you to have a special knack with a chosen spell. You select the spell at the time of training this feat. With this feat it improves the spell for you reguardless of how high the trainer can train

The trainer must teach the spell you wish to improve, but there is no limit
on how high you can train it using the feat. This allows you to become
a grandmaster at a spell by using all 5 skill focus feats on the
same skill if you so wish
. It adds one spell level point to the spell.
Spells have a maximum of 25 points, where 25 is grandmaster. This
figure is not seen by a mortal character.
It is my understanding that you can use 'spell focus' on multiple spells, but only have a maximum of five slots. That is, you can push one up to the maximum of twenty five skill levels, five up by five skill levels each or any combination between
Spell Mastery Feat
==================
This feat allows you to memorise mastered spells without a spellbook.

This feat has the pre-requisite of spell focus.
The file is not explicit, but I would guess that this feat works in a similar fashion to the teacher feat. That is, one slot allows you to memorize mastered spells without a spellbook and if you took a second point in the feat you are able to do so for spells that are at a lower skill level.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:13 pm

Thank you very much for the clarification. Does that means that you have to have a spell mastered AND have taken spell focus in that specific spell for it to qualify for spell mastery?
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:13 pm

I would be wary about using one feat to increase spell skill level in order to qualify for the ability of another feat, just in case they do not check upon each others effects.
That is, if spell focus increased the perceived skill level for casting but did not raise the actual skill level on your scoresheet and the spell mastery feat was checking your scoresheet then you would not be able to apply the 'spell mastery' feat to that spell

But yes, logically by 'focusing' upon a spell to raise its skill level you should then be able to use it without memorization if its skill level meets your 'spell mastery' ability.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Tyr
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tyr » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:30 pm

Spell focus if it has not already, will be changed to work more like D&D in that it will not increase your skill level but instead make you better at casting the spell whatever your skill level is.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:03 am

Does that mean that, since spell focus would be independent of level, it would be able to improve GMed spells in that it would make them cast as if at an even higher level, with less failure, or better in some other manner?
Last edited by Hviti on Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyr
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tyr » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:34 pm

Generally a better chance of success for the given skill level.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:14 am

Alright, thank you both for answering all my questions. I hope this helps any other ppl with wizzie chars who might (or might not :P ) have been confused about spell focus/mastery.
Eltsac
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Eltsac » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:50 pm

Will still the spell focus feat be changed or not?

If not, i have some questions about how it works...

- Does it increases the maximum skill level you can have in the given spell?
(if for exemple i can only train a spell to Adept, and i have it to Adept already, will the feat increase my spell level to Expert?)
-> this seems important to me for high level spells i could not raise high enough to teach others

- If it does increase the spell level, i have another situation :
If i can train a spell to Adept, and i use the feat on that spell while i'm inept in it, will it only increase my current spell level, or will it also increases my maximum spell level (allowing me to raise that spell to Expert casting it again and again)?

I hope i'm clear :)

Eltsac, Archmage of Our Lady of Spells
Eltsac, Loren Wildsoul, Gaymor, Heleyn Featherhand, Aminiel Emeraldeyes, Derissa Silvershield, Hova, Cal Nimblefinger, Cylistria Baenre