Elbow

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Travis
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Elbow

Post by Travis » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:26 am

I'd love to see this skill added for thieves. It'd be a bit like a fighter's punch skill, only an elbow; cause rogues are dirty like that. The main reason I'd like to see this is because sometimes it just doesn't make much sense to be kicking every round when you'd most likely be quite close to your opponent, seeing as the general populous of the rogue/thief kind use short blades, it seems much more logical for a thief to throw an elbow into someone's gut than kick them.
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:55 am

You can kick while you're in close... You just have to be a little dirty and give them a good Muay Tai round house kick to the thigh or shin... ;)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Jharthyne
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Jharthyne » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:55 am

Actually, you can fight without weapons, and just emote/smote that you are using your elbows. Coding details for combat gives us more options, but I wonder how long a TODO list the coders have already. But it is a good idea that I think can be expanded upon to provide more customization for people who like to play fighter-type characters (I am one of them). It gives people like me more options, of course. Maybe add in "knee" and "head knock".

Meanwhile, I think I can live with using "bash" and just emote/smote my elbow/knee/headknock.
Travis
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Travis » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:30 am

True, but I'm talking about throwing an elbow while still using your weapons. Anyways, it would just be the fighter's punch skill with a different name pretty much, I don't know much about code, but that doesn't sound so difficult to make possible.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:46 pm

Jharthyne makes a good point but the problem is that fighting without weapons puts you at a serious disadvantage. Codewise brawling is probabily the weakest skill in the game. It dosn't matter how good you are at it if your enemy is even decent with what weapon they are using you are out of luck.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Jharthyne
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Jharthyne » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:40 pm

If it is going to be "punch" with a name change, then yes, coding it will not be that difficult, since it just involves copy-and-paste of the "punch" code, and adding a line or two into a few of the source files (so that the program recognises the "elbow" command), and then recompiling. But, why spend time on coding this if it is just going to yet another punch? We can always rp the punch as an elbow with emote/smote.

But if the "elbow" skill is going to do more than what "punch" and "kick" are already doing, then there should be more discussion on what the extras are, so that the coders can put this into their TODO list for eventual implementation.
Travis
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Travis » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:11 am

Thieves currently do not recieve the punch skill.
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:11 am

I don't think thieves should receive a skill equivalent to punch. This a skill unique to fighters and I think it should remain that way. If you want to rename kick as elbow, I don't have any objections to that. But I don't feel that thieves should receive any skills that add to their physical damaging capability aside from backstabbing techniques. This plus is reserved for fighters, who cannot steal, backstab, sneak, hide, pick locks, disable traps, or use magical devices. If you feel that thieves are unbalanced then I would rather see a bonus to their dodging skill added before I see any bonuses to damage given to them.(Though personally I feel that they are fine the way they are - but that is another discussion entirely)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Travis
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Travis » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:49 am

Like a tumble feat or something?
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:48 pm

Yes, something like a tumble skill, but as stated before that is an idea for a different thread.
Tretch
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Tretch » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:03 am

Argentia wrote:Yes, something like a tumble skill, but as stated before that is an idea for a different thread.
You should start this particular thread. I would LOVE to hear your reasoning.

Jake
A young male human looks at your claw, his eyes widen, "Wha-what is that on your claw?"
You look to the claw, stopping abruptly
You yell, "Git et off! Git et off!" and begin to hop up and down, shaking your hand,
voice turning to a girlish scream!