Carry

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Levine
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Carry

Post by Levine » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:46 am

Well, its a little pointless, but yep. A skill that enables you to carry someone codewise. :D

I've come across a few RP's where Person A carries Person B around, and it kinda spoils the RP when someone walks along and isn't aware that Person A is carrying Person B.

Well, one problem with this is that many of my characters (I don't know about the rest of you) carry nearly everything with them and have less than 150lbs worth of spare carry weight.. And if that were used to determine if Person A can carry Person B, then half the people in FK can't carry someone else.

Apart from that, I don't really know how it should work, but maybe it'll go something like this:

Person A moves towards Person B and attempts to scoop Person B up into his arms.

Person A types> carry request Person B

Person B sees this:
Request to carry you from Person B. Accept or reject?
Person B types> Accept

Person A sees this:
Person B has accepted your request.

Person A types> carry Person B

Person B giggles and smacks Person A on his shoulder.

OR.. We could forget about all the requests, make do with smotes/emotes, and just carry -after- Person B's next smote/emote.

I'd say that this skill can be trained (or simply given so everyone has it) by everyone. Any race, any class, any gender. Its a purely RP thing. Not very useful, but it does enhance it a little. :D
Must I kill them
To make them lie still
Wenin
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Wenin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:23 am

If you can't take on the additional load of the other character, then you shouldn't be able to carry them. Some people are just to heavy and others to weak to accomodate this.

Now I would like to see mounts being able to carry more than one person. =)
Bugoron
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Re: Carry

Post by Bugoron » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:54 pm

Levine wrote:Well, its a little pointless, but yep. A skill that enables you to carry someone codewise. :D
Actually, I don't think it would be totally useless. If a PC were ot have both legs, or worse yet, al of their limbs, severed, and the best healing nearby is aiding to stop the bleeding, the PC isn't getting to a healer by itself, and as it stands (...no pun there, I swear) the only thing another PC could do is shove the PC or drag them. Carrying them would be an effective way of transporting someone unable to transport themselves to where they need to be.

On a lighter note, yes, things like a groom carrying his bride or some such situation would make a carry skill very useful. :P
Proud member of the Order of the Deinonychus Claw
Andreas
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

RE: Carry

Post by Andreas » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:58 pm

Very good ideas all around. I've always wanted the RP option of being able to carry another PC... the whole "X is here mounted by Y" just doesn't give the right feeling for RP, not to mention the size restrictions in the use of mount. Now seeing "X is here carrying Y" would be great!

And I would definitely love to see mounts able to carry more than one person. Maybe a config option so that not just anyone can get up on the back of your mount. Being grouped is one thing, but I would still prefer to see more control over it.

i.e.
Config +riders - You accept another rider on your mount.
Config -riders - You do not accept other riders on your mount.

The mount owner would have to invite the other rider to their group and then the other PC would be able to mount the mob as normal based on their own skill level or maybe with a bonus for riding with skilled rider who can help them get on and stay on the mount. Probably safe to say no more than two riders on a mount (even though I could see three halflings or even elves on a large mount).
Helm keep thee.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:38 pm

While not related to Carry, this:

http://www.forgottenkingdoms.com/board/ ... ers+horses

is a thread about having more than 1 person mount a horse.
Cret
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Cret » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:34 pm

I was under the impression that a PC could MOUNT another PC. I know being a size smaller alows me (a gnome) to be carried by another (half-elf) and this has happened on several occasions. Perhaps chaning the mount skill to include PC's of same size would help you in this area?
Tretch
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Tretch » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:07 am

Cret wrote:I was under the impression that a PC could MOUNT another PC. I know being a size smaller alows me (a gnome) to be carried by another (half-elf) and this has happened on several occasions. Perhaps chaning the mount skill to include PC's of same size would help you in this area?
Although, I am almost positive that dwarves can't do this...

I have tried to create a two headed hunter o' doom many times :D

Jake
A young male human looks at your claw, his eyes widen, "Wha-what is that on your claw?"
You look to the claw, stopping abruptly
You yell, "Git et off! Git et off!" and begin to hop up and down, shaking your hand,
voice turning to a girlish scream!
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:58 am

Perhaps chaning the mount skill to include PC's of same size would help you in this area?
Hey, it's like a piggy back ride! :D Although if this was to happen I'd think there should be a high rate of stamina loss for carrying a same-sized person. Think of what it's like to carry someone for a while!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Levine
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Levine » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:03 am

Argentia wrote:Hey, it's like a piggy back ride! :D Although if this was to happen I'd think there should be a high rate of stamina loss for carrying a same-sized person. Think of what it's like to carry someone for a while!
Yep, I believe that's already coded.. Well, if the amount someone can carry really depends on how much extra carry weight they have and how heavy the person being carried is, then this is already in.

The thing is.. As much as it is more logical to make it this way (someone being able to carry another person provided the someone has enough extra carry space), IMO, very few people will be able to carry others about because of the weight of the amount of things they carry. I don't know how to solve this, and I don't know how many agree with me. Comments? *grins*

Another thing.. Would carrying someone considered be have one "item" in your inventory? Carrying someone does mean that at least one hand cannot be used. Perhaps a -2 to the inventory space?

But then again, who wants so many disadvantages?

-gissy :D
Must I kill them
To make them lie still
Tortus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tortus » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:50 am

Why not just lug less stuff around if you want to be carrying other players?

Just my humble suggestion. ;)
Levine
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Levine » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:22 am

*laughs* True.. I was going to give an excuse, but I realised that your solution is still the best. We have to sacrifice our carry weight to carry, and if we can't, then too bad.

Thanks, Tortus. :D

-gissy :D
Must I kill them
To make them lie still