Displacer Beasts

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Legault
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Displacer Beasts

Post by Legault » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:28 am

Anyone out there have any info on Displacer Beasts, or know where I can find info?
Thanks
Legault, Kesno, Balmek, Nezbit
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:47 am

In the novel Ring of Winter there is mentioned a Displacer Beast sauce that is really ripping...secret sauce though.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Dugald
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Dugald » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:20 am

Wikipedia has everything that is generally in dnd settings, in fairly good detail. No mechanics, but a good sized faux encylopedia definition of most things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displacer_beast
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:23 am

For all things stat-related (and d20-related), a good link is http://www.d20srd.org/

If you seek out information more about the habits/behaviours of the creatures, then I'd advise you to seek out 2nd edition manual. They contain more "fluff" (non-stat-based description) than the 3rd edition books (which are full of "crunch" (stat-based descriptions and rules)).
Legault
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Legault » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:33 pm

Thanks a bunch. The basic info I needed was a basic figure of what they are, and if they are humanoid. Thanks again...
And to the sauce.. I will take Gwain's word for it.
Ellian
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Ellian » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:52 pm

From Monster Manual I:
Displacer Beast
This creature looks like an emaciated panther, with blue-black fur, six legs, and a body that is nothing but muscle and bone. A pair of tentacles sprout from its shoulders and end in horny-ridged pads.

The displacer beast is a savage and stealthy carnivore that resembles a puma in some respects.
Displacer beasts favor small game but will eat anything they can catch. They regard all other creatures as prey and tend to attack anything they meet. They have a deep-seated hatred of blink dogs, and the two attack each other ruthlessly when their paths cross. A displacer beast is the size of a Bengal tiger, about 9 feet long and weighing about 500 pounds.
Displacer beasts speak Common.
Then it goes on to give DnD statistics and dice stuff. I'll just excerpt a couple things from there:
Environment: Temperate hills
Organization: Solitary or pair
Alignment: Usually lawful evil
And then some more flavour info:
Combat
Displacer beasts tear at opponents with their tentacles and bite foes that get close.
Displacement (Su): A light-bending glamer continually surrounds a displacer beast, making it difficult to surmise the creature's true location. Any melee or ranged attack directed at it has a 50% miss chance unless the attacker can locate the beast by some means other than sight. A true seeing effect allows the user to see the beast's position, but see invisibility has no effect.
Resistance to Ranged Attacks (Su): A displacer beast has a +2 resistance bonus on saves against any ranged magical attack that specifically targets it (except for ranged touch attacks).
Skills: A displacer beast has a +8 racial bonus on Hide checks, thanks to its displacement ability.

Displacer Beast Pack Lord
Due to the bizarre nature of their anatomy, displacer beasts are unusually likely to produce mutant offspring. These whelps can grow to tremendous size, reaching a length of 20 feet and standing almost 10 feet high at the shoulder. Pack lords, as these gigantic displacer beasts are known, frequently lead bands of their smaller fellows.
Except for their freakish size and strength, pack lords resemble normal displacer beasts.
And, pictures galore:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... =&ei=UTF-8

Hope that helps.
Jayson
Taerom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Taerom » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:17 pm

I believe there is a Displacer Beast in R.A. Salvatore's Dark Elf Trilogy--I think it's in either Exile, or Sojourn.
Legault
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Legault » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:33 pm

I have read that series, and I don't think there is... but if there was, it would have to be in the book Exile.
Taerom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Taerom » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:09 pm

Drizzt fights a panther-like beast with tentacles coming from its shoulders. Sounds like one to me.

It also uses Displacement.
Forgoil
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Forgoil » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:47 pm

Hey long time no talk... Anyway I've read liek all the series and it's in the legacy series and it's in the book Starless Night just to let ya know...
Taerom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Taerom » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:54 pm

Oh, right! I remembered it was in the Underdark and I assumed it was in the Dark Elf Trilogy.

You are correct, sir.
Forgoil
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Forgoil » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:28 am

Yeah I see it kinda sad that I have read like every book Salvatore has made except for two and I can't find them anywhere. *SIGH* I hate living in Prescott Valley, Arizona.. Too small. yeah though that thing was pretty wierd in the books.
"This is my shield, I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of it's shadow nor my city out of its shelter."
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:50 am

Be proud young man. Prescott HS has one of the best jazz bands in the state.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Paskry

Post by Paskry » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:22 pm

That is true Lathander, I have heard them play.

Paskry
Legault
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Legault » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:09 pm

BOO PRESCOTT BAND! BRADSHAW BAND ROCKS! 8) :twisted:
Prescott High School and Bradshaw High are rivals. Bradshaw is in Prescott Valley, while Prescott is in.. well, Prescott. Therefore, Bradshaw rocks.

Wow, we got REALLY off topic didn't we?