New fight echos

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Zach

New fight echos

Post by Zach » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:40 am

I love the new fight echos...

BUT!!! for one of my chars who does not often smile... or never smiles

she sure does a lot of smiling when dodging...

is there any way around this other then not fighting?
Tortus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tortus » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:33 am

Oh yah, I've noticed that rat smile as well. :shock:

Perhaps an echo like, "<target> seems delighted as your attack misses it"?
Zach

Post by Zach » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:58 pm

yeah... something a little less visual emotional...

I can't think of anything at this time... but i'll edit if i do
Amalia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Amalia » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:35 pm

I agree on this point-- it's certainly not a critical thing, but fights can be fought for a lot of different reasons, many of which don't involve smiling. Maybe a master is sparring with an apprentice and would get cross if the apprentice kept missing. Maybe someone is going on a vengeful rampage and doesn't care if they're getting hit or not. Maybe a character feels a fight isn't any good if the enemy isn't strong enough to challenge them. Or maybe the character is just plain frigid and wouldn't smile for puppies and chocolate cake, much less being missed by an enemy's attack. The smile echo seems almost akin to descriptions that tell the reader what he feels, a no-no in FK.

Generally, I agree that a non-emotive replacement would be preferable to smiling.
Dear Enemy: May the Lord hate you and all your kind, may you be turned orange in hue, and may your head fall off at an awkward moment.
Theillik

Post by Theillik » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:38 pm

I agree that the smiling thing is a bit out-of-place. No one likes to have their character rped into doing something which they would normally wouldn't do.
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Post by Hrosskell » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:13 pm

To believe my friends told me to make this post if I didn't like the way the new combat echos were. That little smile does bug me, and gets sort've more-worse-repetitive. Hrosskell would grunt or something, I think. But whatever, it's a small thing on a list of to-do's.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:30 am

Its just a smile, I mean...cmon. :P
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Gidan

Post by Gidan » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:40 pm

No one is going to be smiling when their fighting, and I personally abhor the new fight echoes.
Elwin
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Elwin » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:27 pm

I'm not trying to flame anyone but I don't think it's very respectful to the people who put in the time to change the fight echoes to put them down like that. I personally like the new echoes. They're much more diverse and creative than the earlier ones.
From your friendly neighborhood ranger :)
Gidan

Post by Gidan » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:35 pm

Allright and I understand it took a lot of work to put them in and for that good job. But they are just like every other mud's that I have ever played and I dislike it, I thought it was nice that fk was different.
Amalia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Amalia » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:46 am

:shock:

Woah there. Fight echoes do not a MUD make. FK has stellar RP from pretty much everyone in it... that's the big draw. Not fight echoes.
Dear Enemy: May the Lord hate you and all your kind, may you be turned orange in hue, and may your head fall off at an awkward moment.
Zach

Post by Zach » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:59 am

Hey. I think i opened this topic with "I love the new fight echos"

So I have not talked down in any way. I said was there an easy way around not having this echo as a smile

EDIT: they also smile when they are stunned... Don't know how this works either
Gidan

Post by Gidan » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:19 am

I understand that fight echoes do not make an Rp mud, which fk is. I love Fk's Rp minus a few things which I am not going to get into, but the topic was the new fight echoes so theres my thoughts.
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:56 am

It's a battle echo. It's not like you lose 20 levels every time you dodge something, you just smile. Posting like you're angry over it is just flat out silly. This thread could definately be much more pleasant, and that's sad, seeing it's nitpicking at something small in a huge amount of new code and hard work. Everyones titled to their opinions, but they shouldn't be used so negatively after all the work that's been done. :(

Danica
Beshaba potatoes.
Tavik
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tavik » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:01 am

I don't really mind it. I don't really think anyone would be smiling in a fight, but as long as no one brings it up like "Wow, you sure looked happy in that fight!" I don't see why you couldn't just ignore it.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:16 am

Smiles can often have different meanings, when I smile in combat I smile in my mind, that's what I tell myself, I get a kick out of an enemy relieved that I miss and smiling joyously before I bash him again :D I think that you can either work with the function or ignore it, but it adds many new dimensions to rp, and I like that it is easy to spot when you miss or hit now.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Kilak
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Kilak » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:55 pm

I admit I'm not a big fan of the 'smiles' echo, but I find that I've gotten to the point where I ignore those lines and during combat keep one eye on my health % and one vaguely watching the combat scroll waiting for when I inevitably drop my weapon or for when a part of my armour gets damaged.

So yeah, I appreciate the hard work put into it, and no, I'm not a huge fan, but I've gotten past it.
- Kilak Axebattler, son o' Baelin o' Clan Axebattler
- Melaku, Warrior from Zakhara
- Vaelyn, Wizard in Training
Zach

Post by Zach » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:24 pm

I put in config +gag

so i don't see me or them dodging... only dmg taken
Paskry

Post by Paskry » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:33 pm

I like the new echoes but I wonder how many times you can almost bisect a head.... :P
Also, wouldn't a critical hit to the head result in loss of consciousness?
Granted, it would not be a definite, but it would stun the person for a few seconds, no?

Paskry
Beshaba
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Beshaba » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:56 pm

I see a lot of people saying negative things, but of those I only see one person who made a suggestion about how it could be made better.

Perhaps if there were more suggestions there might be a change.