Component Find

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Legault
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Component Find

Post by Legault » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:43 pm

I just thought I would propose a possible command. Many spells use components such as sand, horse tail hair, etc. Now, in deserts, there is obviously an abundance of sand, so possibly something like-

Syntax: find <component>

If the room is appropriate, a component could possibly be found. In example, sand would not be found in a stone castle, but horse tail hair may be found in a stable.

This may be easier to code as a skill, any thoughts?
Legault, Kesno, Balmek, Nezbit
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:20 pm

You already have the option to find several components in the wilderness.

Now, when a component is "a pinch of sand", think that not every pinch of sand will do, but that it has to be specially clean or fine sand or something.

But if you wander around, there are already many components that can be found, or made by some classes.
Zach

Post by Zach » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:25 pm

or instead of something like
Syntax: Find <component>

how about something on the lines of
Syntax: c 'locate object' <component>

easier and less coding involved
Gidan

Post by Gidan » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:55 am

I think that would be a great idea, although I very seldom play wizardly characters. But when I do I find it difficult and tedious to find components and spend most of my time doing that rather than anything else. Which is more likely than not why I don't play those kinds of characters.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:21 am

Um, no coding involved, as I thought you could already do that?
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Elwin
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Elwin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:52 am

As far as I remember, you can already do that. I used locate object to locate components before. Unless it's changed with the new system, you should still be able to do that.
From your friendly neighborhood ranger :)
Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:02 pm

Glim wrote:

Um, no coding involved, as I thought you could already do that?
I know you could. I was being... sarcastic

They wanted a spell to locate an object for only components when there was a spell to find ANY object...
Amalia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Amalia » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:32 pm

I think he was requesting a skill, actually, to get a component where said component was likely to be... rather than casting 'find grass' from his wizard tower, he'd like to walk into a field and simply find grass with a skill, presumably causing the game to spit out a gettable handful of grass like it does with looking at fruit trees.
Dear Enemy: May the Lord hate you and all your kind, may you be turned orange in hue, and may your head fall off at an awkward moment.
Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:06 pm

Amalia wrote:I think he was requesting a skill, actually, to get a component where said component was likely to be... rather than casting 'find grass' from his wizard tower, he'd like to walk into a field and simply find grass with a skill, presumably causing the game to spit out a gettable handful of grass like it does with looking at fruit trees.
OHHHH!!!! now THAT is a better way to explain it... sorry for the sarcasm... i thought that is what he wanted... sorry!

I would like this skill as well...
Legault
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Legault » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:13 pm

In no way do I mean finding the component, I mean actually leaning over in a desert and getting a pinch of sand, or, like you can pluck feathers from a griffon, being able to pull horse tail hair from a horse. With something taken from an animal, such as a feather, it would make more sense to have the horse kick you once, not start an actual fight, but maybe an echo saying-

The angry horse kicks you in the groin!

Then, your health would go down some.

But yes Amalia Im talking more of getting the component from the room, rather than finding it.
Legault, Kesno, Balmek, Nezbit