The Appraise Command

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Dobras
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

The Appraise Command

Post by Dobras » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:34 am

You've probaly have used the appraise command a bunch of times..
But the real question is does the appraise comand really show the nature of a item?

an example longsword is worth approximately 17 platinum, 2 gold, 1 electrum, 1 silver, 5 copper.
It is of superior quality.
Damage capability is average.

an example longsword is worth approximately 23 platinum, 4 gold, 1 electrum, 3 copper.
It is of tiny quality.
Damage capability is poor.

Dobras Fidelis

Tempus: Edited to remove identifying information. Please do not post IC information to the forums. This includes information from the appraisal of an item if you include its description.
Gwain

The Appraise Command

Post by Gwain » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:58 am

Far as I know appraise means that you take and educated look at an item and make assumptions based on your overall knowledge of said item and various other things and makes a judgement based on that

Far as I can tell item quality names are in comparsion to several levels of quality and as such rely on the interpretations of the appraiser i.e. when you go to appraise something you make judgements based on other implements and apply them to your item in a broad comparison.

here's the help file tagline:
appraise is the skill of looking at an object in detail and
determining more about it than the average person would about it
It varies from person to person and allows you to just identify randomly what you can.

On another note I personally think a post like this should go into bug reports and shouldn't use as much ic info.
Selveem

Re: The appraise command

Post by Selveem » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:20 am

What I believe he was trying to say was the _huge_ difference between the two 'appraisals.' From 17 plat to 23 plat is a huge difference when you think about currency and it's worth in the Forgotten Realms (Kingdoms). I think the amounts should be much closer, and completely accurate at the time of a passing skill check.
Gwain

The Appraise Command

Post by Gwain » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:48 am

They might seem far apart but it might be because the user is not high in the skill and once again with appraising we are still just making educated guesses.
Lets say for a second that his first appraisal came after inspecting the blade at a certain angle. Then a wee bit later he inspected it fully in form and saw more value. Therefore it's value of the object to his eye went up significantly. I believe that this skill lends itself more to chance, intelligence and wisdom. I personally know that in rl something can be thought to be very valuable at one appraisal then it can be taken down a notch just like that at another. Just ask the Antiques Roadshow :wink:
Drakenor

Post by Drakenor » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:53 am

When you first learn to appraise from becoming a fighter your appraise level is fairly low. Therefore capability etc. varies differently. When I first began appraising some of my armour varied from 115 platinum to 40 platinum. It isnt a bug, just your appraise skill is a lower level. If you were to become a grandmaster in appraise you would come up with a lot more accurate appraises and the most the difference would possibly be is a few copper.
Taerom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Taerom » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:13 pm

On a sidenote, why not allow players to appraise things that mobs and characters are wearing or holding, like we can with the examine command?

Although, since the other person is holding or wearing the object, I would understand the appraisal roll incurring a penalty of some sort since that would obviously hinder the appraiser's inspection of the item.
Kilak
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Kilak » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:29 pm

Sorry to bring up a really old post, but is there any way to have the appraise skill/trade work on items you want to buy from a merchant? I for one would love to see if that new shiny weapon has a better "Damage Value" before spending my hard earned monies on it.

(Like I said. Sorry for resurrecting an ancient post, but I did a search, and this one seemed most prudent)
- Kilak Axebattler, son o' Baelin o' Clan Axebattler
- Melaku, Warrior from Zakhara
- Vaelyn, Wizard in Training
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:29 pm

Actually, that is just what you're encouraged to do, to search out a related topic and post if one is available. So don't apologize :)

I agree that it would be nice to be able to appraise the value of that nice looking item on a merchant before you commit to it, much like you could in a real shop, looking over someone's wares on a rack. I just dunno if it would be possible to work it out in code, though if it can be done with examine on a merchant, perhaps it could with appraise as well.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Lorion
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Lorion » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:37 pm

Yeah, appraise it, and maybe also see if it is magic. Unfortunately the spell "detect magic" doesn't (or didn't last that i tested it) work with items sold by a shopkeeper NPC.
Zach

Post by Zach » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:00 pm

i don't see why that would be too hard... seeing as you can examin what the NPC is are selling... why not appraise?
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:15 pm

Characters with the ability to Peek and using Detect Magic can, I seem to recall, see a merchants inventory and spot magic items.

The ability to compare items to gain an idea of the relative damage of a weapon or strength of an armour is currently limited to those worn or in inventory. Likewise, you can only appraise items in inventory.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Kilak
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Kilak » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:36 am

Any chance that will change in the future for Appraise? It just seems kind of silly that we can't get a grasp if that item the merchant has is better.
- Kilak Axebattler, son o' Baelin o' Clan Axebattler
- Melaku, Warrior from Zakhara
- Vaelyn, Wizard in Training
Jharthyne
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Jharthyne » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:14 am

I believe you can use the examine command, eg. "examine sword merchant" (or was it "examine merchant sword"?) It is like examining your own items, though, nothing like the info that appraise will give. Maybe you can just take it that the merchant doesn't like people touching his goods.