bare knuckle damage

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Sparlow

bare knuckle damage

Post by Sparlow » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:34 pm

Does wearing gauntlets or hand straps incrse the amout of brawling damange you inflict? IF not, is there someway to increase the base damage of your bare hands in a fight?
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:11 pm

Take the feat improved brawling?

--Mikhail Lerouge
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Balek » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:41 pm

Actually improved brawling only takes away the attack of opportunity your enemy gets if they're using a weapon and you're not.

Balek
Sparlow

Back to brawling....

Post by Sparlow » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:14 am

Let's say, hypothetically, you were playing a character who specializes in brawling. Is there any way to create an item, like hand straps, that was actually wielded as a weapon and inflicted damage? But used the brawling skill to determine attack and damage?
Isaldur
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isaldur » Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:19 am

Katars, Punch Daggers, Spiked Knuckles, Battle Gauntlets, Weighted glove...There's alot of things that could be used. I know Priests of Tempus would definately use their trademark Spiked Battle Gauntlets more often for sure if it helped their unarmed damage.
A sapphire haired male aasimar replies to you 'What would you get Tanya for a wedding present?'
You reply to A sapphire haired male aasimar 'A swift kick to the head. '
Sparlow

Exactly

Post by Sparlow » Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:26 am

I was actually thinking of something just along those lines, except for RP prposes they coulde designated 'leather hand straps' or something. Just some thoughts.

-Sparlow
Jharthyne
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Jharthyne » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:48 am

Does improving your skill level in brawling result in more damage? Or just a better chance at hitting with bare hands?
Legault
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Legault » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:20 am

Level does not increase times your hit, skills do that.
Legault, Kesno, Balmek, Nezbit
Athon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Athon » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:11 am

But your level in the weapon will make it more likely that your punch hits for damage instead of being missed or dodge. Basically, it means you either have a higher bonus to all of your to-hit rolls or that the roll needed to deal damage is lower (On a D20 system). Basically, you are more likely to hit someone, but not with more attacks per round.
~Vanguardier Athon, High Priest of Torm~
~Moranall, Fighter of Waterdeep~
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:24 pm

It wouldn't be too hard to add new weapons that would take the brawling skill for damage. But can you "hold" a battle gauntlet?
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:31 pm

Sure, but you can more easily wear it on your hands. ;) Then if you're not wielding any weapons, it will automatically force you to use the brawling weapon skill. To my knowledge, it is possible to code a glove that will give +'s to the brawling skill. I suppose it would also be possible to rig it so that you can have +'s to damage if you're not wielding a weapon, too, but I'm not as sure about that.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:34 pm

actually, I think that might be difficult (not sure, but if the code for FK is like many other MUDs), and as I understand + to brawling skill won't make much difference.
Gidan

Post by Gidan » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:30 am

Why not just code in brass knuckles or fist packs?
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:18 am

That should be easy enough.
Also maybe spiked gauntlets could be coded as weapons.

Isolrem is here.
A tall, strong human is wearing
<hold> a spiked gauntlet

whereas simultaneously using these weapons and wearing ordinary gloves would either be prevented by code or RPly inappropriate and player supervised.
Zach

Post by Zach » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:06 am

Gidan wrote:Why not just code in brass knuckles or fist packs?

There are brass knuckles in the game.
I don't want to give too much game detal... but it's not too far from Waterdeep if i remember corectly...

But then again... it could be my imadgnation or whatever

being sick sucks
Yonna

Post by Yonna » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:42 am

Zach, Giving any kind of directions like that for equipment is highly frowned upon on the board and I would advise keeping that information to yourself unless giving it out icly...

*Edited to remove stupid spelling error*
Athon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Athon » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:49 am

How about this possibility:

Code some invisible weapon that also is not seen when removed/equipped. This would take place as the 'bare knuckles' and could be coded that it damages similarily to a weapon - it could help bring about monk-like characters. It would also allow for even apparently unarmed characters to not be overlooked.
~Vanguardier Athon, High Priest of Torm~
~Moranall, Fighter of Waterdeep~
Gidan

Post by Gidan » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:45 pm

I think brass knuckles would be good if they where enchanted becuase then you could deal damage to those enemies that need a magical weapon to hurt while brawling.
Zach

Post by Zach » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:45 pm

Gidan wrote:I think brass knuckles would be good if they where enchanted becuase then you could deal damage to those enemies that need a magical weapon to hurt while brawling.
Correct me if I am wrong but if you enchant ALL brass knuckles to be magical, this would defete of having special weapons to only be able to be used against certin enemies...

These weapons are magical... harder to find... brass knuckles should be no different...
Algon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Algon » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:16 pm

I can see things like brass knuckles and spiked gauntlets and the like that could add +dam to the brawling.
Counting bodies like sheep...to the rhythm of the war drums. ~~~ Maynard