Spell permanency

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Spell permanency

Post by Isolrem » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:27 am

Stretching an idea from another thread, this feat will allow a player to be permanently affected by a chosen spell. The feat-point cost may also vary depending on the spell... it may also require a high degree of skill in the spell
detect magic, detect evil, detect illusion - 1
comprehend languages, bless - 2
sanctuary - 3
armor, shield, dragonskin - 4
stone skin, bulls strength, mnemonic enhancer, slink, heroism, friends, trollish vigor - HAHA very funny
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Amalia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Amalia » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:44 am

I think this feat might be better served as a number of Feats allowing spellcasters to make items (because even without the Big Happy Spells on permanently, a permanency to a bunch of smaller spells could still be broken, and having them take up clothing slots would be helpful). I would be more than happy with as many Feats required to make magic items as are normally required in D&D-- the skills could be left for scrolls and potions, and the Trade for Staves, but beyond that feats would be required for things like magical armor, magical weapons, magical jewelery, and the like. Alternately, each of these could be turned into a Trade of its own.

I think the effect of creating such an item, to balance the difficulty and stress of making them, ought to be a tough price for the Caster-- perhaps something like drained stats for an in-game month. If there were a Feat/Trade instituted for Wonderous Items, maybe the exhaustion would be increased to a year, and the crafting of another magic item would be impossible during this time, due to the simple inability to gather enough strength to concentrate on a task so daunting. These, of course, I think ought to be in addition to the usual XP and component cost as detailed in D&D. If I recall right, the cost of components to make a magic item usually adds up to about 1/10 of the value of the completed item. This would (hopefully) discourage the use of mages and priests as magic item factories, but still allow spellcasters to make such an item in situations where it would be RP appropriate, like to protect a friend going into danger or as a gift to someone for a great service.
Dear Enemy: May the Lord hate you and all your kind, may you be turned orange in hue, and may your head fall off at an awkward moment.
Boe
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Boe » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:08 pm

Perhaps adept the persistent spell feat to such. Allow it to be taken more than once to allow for for spells to be affected by it? Change persistent spell to permanent spell or something and work from there. Allow it to be taken like 2-4 times each time increasing the types or spells it could affect. Starting with what it is now with just spells that affect the caster, then take it to spells that affect other characters positively, spells that improve stats (eg. bulls, mnemonic, slink, etc.), and then move it to spells that affect other characters negatively?

However, I think the spell slot value would need to be decreased a tad, 4 spell slots for a single persistent spell seems a bit much.

Just my thoughts,
-Kyle