Stackable Feats

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Stackable Feats

Post by Harroghty » Sat May 13, 2006 4:44 pm

Warriors can already train certain feats in excess of one time and while it makes sense that you can train, for example, armor proficiency more than once, why not be able to stack feat skills like improved critical?

Training a skill like this several times would increase the bonus towards your ability to score a critical hit. The same could be true of improved intiative or a few other skills. Each time you trained this feat it would just add to the bonus conferred by the feat.

Cheers.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Sean
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Sean » Sat May 13, 2006 7:18 pm

According to the DnD PHB, some feats are stackable, some are not.

THose that are 'stackable' (for simplicity's sake, Stackable means you can take the feat multiple times), are stackable in one of two ways. Either each level applies a diffrent way (Weapon Focus, as an example, is stackable. Each time you take it, it applies for a diffrent weapon, so you can't get the bonus twice to the same weapon), or each level adds the bonus over and over (endurance, for an example. Or Toughness).

In the PHB, Armor Profiency is actually three diffrent feats, but it would fall more into the first catagory than the second. Now, why don't we have improved critical stackable? Balance issues...

If you could extend the threat range once per feat, I could, in theory, end up with my threat range (essentually, my chance for a critical hit) to cover my ENITRE attack roll range. Yes, thats a lot of feats to put into it, but it still offers an unfair advantage to those that take that path.

So instead, the DnD books over a diffrent way of 'extending' chances to improve critical hit. Things like Epic Improved Critical, and the like. However, I highly doubt FK will ever dip into the Epic level feats and skills. Even. They're more than unbalancing.

So I guess what I'm saying is... The feats that can be taken more than once without becomming unbalancing, can already be improved multiple times. Others, like say, Improved Critical, would be unbalancing. Still others offer a bonus that can't really be stacked (Power Attack or Combat Expertise, for example).
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Sun May 14, 2006 2:56 am

That's all well and good but the limit of Feat points would, I think, rein people in. Sure, you could train Improved Critical a lot and have an advantage but you probably would not have as capable a defence, or initiative or what have you. Now, if someone wanted to sit here and trade glory for feat points all day long... maybe that's another story, but that would be an Augean task.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons