Decapitation

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Teyn
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Decapitation

Post by Teyn » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:12 pm

Well, when I was adventuring with my character, Anasil, I was getting quite a few one-hit kills, as it were, by knocking their head off. I was asked if there was a decapitation skill that I had trained in or something like that.

Thus, I thought upon the possibility of adding a skill to such an effect.

I was thinking it could be an automatic skill, with slashing weapons. Maybe also bludgeoning weapons like morningstars and maces?

Not entirely sure how the coding is or how it would go with this, but either so you are more likely to get criticals when you hit the head, or (my favoured way if possible) you are more likely to get hits to the head.

Well, that's the theory.
Anasil
Kilak
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Kilak » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:28 pm

I would have to wonder though why code something that seems to be already there? Obviously you are already decapitating the enemies, and there already is an Improved Critical feat. I've personally seen it happen in game to another character who still had around 30% life when he got decapitated by a Griffon. It happens already, so why go about hard coding it in? Just my 2 coppers worth.
- Kilak Axebattler, son o' Baelin o' Clan Axebattler
- Melaku, Warrior from Zakhara
- Vaelyn, Wizard in Training
Teyn
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Teyn » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:32 pm

Well, yes, it does happen... But I was under the impression it has a random percentage as to where it hits... With this skill, you could hit the head more often, being the point. However, if it's not worth it, fair enough. Just a possibility...
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:53 pm

Personally, I am very much against any feats or skills which make it easier for someone to kill someone stone dead with little resistance.

As noted, critical strikes to certain areas of the body can already cause instant death. Introducing something which increases the chances of this happening would be unbalancing I think.

http://www.forgottenkingdoms.com/board/ ... .php?t=664

This is an old discussion of something similar. They make the case against much more eloquently than I.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Teyn
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Teyn » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:26 pm

Okey dokey, that makes sense. It was just a thought.

Thanks for the replies :D
Cret
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Cret » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:27 am

A person suffering a critical strike to the head while wearring no head gear can die at 70% hp. It has happend many times to my level 50's.

Simlarily, not wearring a chest piece can have your heart ripped form your chest.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:21 am

I think it's also related to size, as in: small characters are more likely to get decapitated.

I'm not too fond of this kind of thing, but it's part of that old dusty combat system that might get revisited one day. Perhaps.
Zach

Post by Zach » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:11 pm

and i doubt that we are going to change something in the fighting code if we are looking to redo revise it...

on a side note... what IS the 3ED fight style... where can i go to look it up?
Dugald
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Dugald » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:00 pm

combat from 2nd to 3rd didn't really change that much (the big one being attacks of opportunity)...the huge changes were feats, skills, saves
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:46 pm

if we had called shots, we could target a certain part of the body
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:22 am

I've been indisposed (there's no internet in the middle of the desert unfortunately) so I'm walking into this one late. I agree that anything that increases the ability to kill outright in the manner described above has the potential to create a problem and encourage PVP but by the same token, however; the idea of a called shot could actually encourage roleplay. Certainly now in roleplay driven combat sequences you can use the 'smote' command to describe results but to be able to actually aim to cripple by striking the legs or to disarm by striking the arms would be a nice option for role-playing.
I do realize though that the volunteers who run the game likely have bigger fish to fry though. Cheers.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alaudrien » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:57 pm

I am sorta of against this but in some ways with it. In the same sense if a thief or ranger snuck up on an unsuspecting foe who would then be flat footed and did an attack it would be a surprise attack. While rangers don't have the backstab or sneak attack as it is called these days. A thief with a garrote wire that is sharp enough to cut through skin or a dagger or two that can hit the chest. It would be cool if we could target withour sneak attack and then it has a chance of hitting or not. I like to personally rp if useing a rapier jumping out from behind and poking em in the chest. While I think some smaller fellows would aim there daggers at the neck and throat. While halflnigs and gnomes..might just aim for the groin to drop their foe and get at there throat..I know It sounds kinda funny. I just don't like the fact it makes it easier for out right kills. Of course sometimes a sneak attack to a warrior who is bogged down with armour and a thief gets him while he is caught unawares would be interesting to see death and all. Just unlikely yall! I am going on and on blah. As someone stated before it would be a nice for rp fights that you do one round at a time.

I.E. bob moves forward and strikes at bobbette's leg. murder bobette's leg. etc..haha but yea! They got things that need to be done before this ^^ so I doubt if anything like this happens it will be awhile. I am content regardless my compatriots :D
I take only what I need and I need everything!

-Alyzlin
Seraph
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Seraph » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:31 am

A little off topic but I really think having a decapitating echo is really cool, a one hit skill would really be imbalanced. I've been thinking on it a while and I think why not have a FINISHING MOVE echo instead when killing something or someone. IT would be available to everyone of course but what the message is would depend on the weapon or spells.
For example:

A bandit is incapacitated.
Your pierce nearly bisects a bandit's head.
A bandit gets baited by your feignt and moves forward as you run him through with your blade.
A bandit is DEAD!

Just a thought. It adds a little more flavor to combat but it would really not be a skill or something.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:42 pm

When we get into looking at combat, perhaps we can add in the coup de grace. In D20 speak, as long as the opponent is completely helpless (unconscious, sleeping, paralyzed) a successful hit is an automatic critical hit, AND an automatic kill unless the victim makes a Fortitude save.

That would, of course, mean getting saves and resists fixed first.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Valdimyr
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Re: FINISHING MOVES

Post by Valdimyr » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:12 am

I'm not positive on this since it has been a little while since I've did it, but I'm almost certain that.......

Whenever you finish an enemy off with a spell, it does give you a message similar to that........

Something like....

Your chill touch freeze's *given mob* to his last breath...

Or something to that extent.
Sincerely,
Valdimyr