Pregnancies

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:21 am

I think the general nature of the dieties of Faerun in fr mythos make them very difficult to get married. Though there have been relationships. There could be examples of demi powers in the mulhorandi pantheon, since they had until recently been powerful avatars forced to live on faerun in the guise of normal but powerful forms. You never know what will happen though, some writers might update mythoses and such. In Dragonlance, there is the existence of Diety Consort which itself signals a strong relationship between two dieties. I believe it also exists in the fk pantheon, but it is more random.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Timaeus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Timaeus » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:58 am

There are quite a few instances of offspring of two dieties or greater planar creatures, she asked about noted cases of diety and mortal offspring.
AKA Tycho, Lamorak, Kayne, Uthric
Jadom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Jadom » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:02 am

AFAIK, the only thing a union between a deity and mortal will produce is an Aasimar. You don't get any of the fun smiting stuff. :D
Theillik

Post by Theillik » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:00 am

Angelita wrote:*personally thinks men with a pregnant woman should come with duct taped mouths* Strike that... just men in general at all times... we're right all the time anyways... right ladies?

Quite right. On the dance floor, referring to ball room, etc, women are always right :D
Shabanna
Sword Master
Sword Master

Pregnant bellies

Post by Shabanna » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:37 pm

Not sure if anyone can answer this question here...

Can anyone tell me about the sturdiness etc of the coded belly? I know it is "worn" and as such I am assuming that it is damaged like any item one can wear?? or is there something more unique about the coding of it?

Icly... I am assuming a pregnant female in the realms would not be out Dragon hunting. However, there are times when travelling that she may run into bandits... or Gods forbid she saunters mindlessly off the road and bumps into say... a hill giant ( Hey.. stuff happens :P ) Is this belly going to take damage like a belt or a piece of clothing? or is it more resilient?

Do not get me wrong I am not talking about Dungeon crawling with a pregnant char. I am just trying to gather information. I am assuming... that ICly if this belly were damaged... the char would risk losing the baby. So... Im trying to learn as much as I can about the way it works and the OOC limitations... If that makes sense?

Thank you for any information you care to share about this.

"The Banna"
"May Fortune climb into your lap and refuse to leave"
Builder Council: Journeyman
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:01 am

The item is not proof against damage and quite vulnerable as you would expect. It will therefore be easily harmed in combat and could be destroyed.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:26 am

In the old days (and when I say old I say old days) pregnant women rarely traveled, and when they did, they did so under guard and protector. Children were precious as was those that carried them. It would be very rare to see a pregnant lady strolling down a stretch of road alone, but you might see them in an armoured convoy or caravan. I don't know how it applies to fk, but it could in a sense.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Shabanna
Sword Master
Sword Master

miscarriage

Post by Shabanna » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:45 pm

Just curious... has anyone ever had a miscarriage on FK? Is that something that would ever be considered? I mean I am sure if it were it would have to be by special app. but I was just curious :P

of course... perhaps it would have to be applied for at the time you sent in an app to *get* pregnant... to prevent people from just changing their minds about the preg RP.

also curious about twins... or still births... lol thats a lot of things to be curious about roflmao.

happens when you sit around preggo and not adventuring ;)

"The Banna"
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:05 am

I think any miscarage or still birth should be met with blows to charisma and widom and constitution since they are serious things that have terrible reprocussions. They might be something that could be applied for to end pregnancies and such. Adoption is a good option to get rid of children after birthing though but should also have penalties and conditions. For twins...that would be a wonderful random thing. Twins, triplets all the way up to ten or twenty babies depending on the randomness involved.

Shabanna
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Shabanna » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:27 am

:shock:
twenty babies?!? No offense Gwain but that is not a blessing...that is a litter. lol I have 3 at home not even all the same age... and I am sure there are moments I have considered putting them on ebay to find them a *permanent* babysitter ;)

Which brings me to my next suggestion... MUD nannies! :D All those cute halfling nannies in the nursery and no coded baby sitters ...Tsk tsk lol

HEY!... what if they could code a nursery like a stable? lol you pay a plat a day to drop off your baby and you get a token!

Okay do not throw things at me... it was just a thought. :D

"The Banna"
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:41 am

Maybe set up a daycare coded like a stable that will hold your children when they are in the mob state? This would a be a very specialized area though. And have an orphanage area where you can sell and buy children for maybe 500-1000platnium. Though when you think about it, with the amount of time it takes to have a child in fk and the amount of rp it would be very rare that the issue of giving a baby up would come into play.

Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:21 pm

I'm not sure about the ruling, but I'd personally hope that RPing miscarriages would be treated the same as rape. A miscarriage is a traumatic, terrifying and shattering experience, and to have it RPed is (imo) cheapening it.

But as I said, it's just my opinion. :) The imms might not agree.
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Shabanna
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Shabanna » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:47 pm

While I agree it is traumatic and perhaps would be something the imms would not want in the game for that reason. I was just wondering if it had ever happened? or would ever be considered by application.

along this lines...I would like to add that... any death is a horrific experience. If you have ever really watched anyone die...or have ever been touched by a death (as ...sadly we all will be at someopoint in our lives) You know what I mean. I find it frustrating that it is treated frivilously in the game. In no way did I mean to sound as if I was speaking of a miscarriage as frivilous or trying to cheapen it.

I think it is very serious... but I also believe it is vastly different from rape. As rape is a crime... and is something someone DOES to someone else. (in addition to the way more than PG nature of the crime) while A miscarriage is something that actually happens naturally ( and quite frequently now and moreso in the time period we are RPing. In fact, not only miscarriage...but... death in childbirth was frequent as well... which is why pregnant women were treated like china dolls...)

I feel like any tragedy should be treated with respect...

"The Banna"
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:20 pm

Shabby, you make a good point. :) I didn't mean to make it sound like I was accusing you of cheapening the RP, btw. And yes, I agree that death too, is a traumatising RP.

I was just letting people know that it could cause offence. But as I think we both agree, it's up to the imms.

Sorry, if I have made anyone feel in any way that they have been cheapening a serious issue. It was just a general comment. *nods*
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:28 pm

miscarrages might hit too close to home for some people
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:08 pm

This is my own personal opinion and may or may not be echoed by other Imms so right now it is just me joining in the debate and not a ruling on policy.

Personally, I would strongly oppose any such roleplay and vote against any player application that requested it.

The helpfiles and related guidelines emphasise that we are in a playing environment designed for all ages. Some things are not appropriate in such an environment and to my mind this is one of those things.

Again, my own opinion only, but I would also have to question the motives of any player that proposed roleplaying a miscarriage.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Shabanna
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Shabanna » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:17 pm

Let me say for the record.. that my char is preggo... and I have no plans to request this....just incase Kelemvor thinks that is what this was about.

But, along these same lines... I think it opens up an interesting point... that death in FK is taken too lightly in general ;)

I'm a mother of 3 kids who are pretty much my life... Ask anyone who really knows me IRL. One of the 3 I nearly lost in childbirth... I have heard my baby's heart stop and been rushed into emergency surgery to save his life... so I know...some... though not all aspects of the kind of heartbreak it could cause . I would never take it upon myself to go out and offend someone on this game... it is not my personal style. I apologize if it was a touchy subject. I think death, in general, is...a touchy subject.

I dont take poisoning, murder, death, or disease lightly at all! For the record...slicing people to bits, breaking bones and gouging out someone's brain with one's bare hands are all laughed at in this game...I have seen it over and over... i just had to add that, in case i seem like a cruel person for bringing this subject up. I actually thought it might have been something that had been covered or discussed before. I have always been taught that the only stupid question is one that is not asked ;) So.. YES... I think any kind of RP involving death or ilness is serious... very serious. ( just my 2 cents)

*heavy sigh* I was simply curious... so no need to break out torches >.< banna has no plans to make that app never did... never will. just a discussion...pertains to things on my mind as a player playing a preggo...

SOOOOOO... you do not have to question my motives ;) lol :roll:

EDIT : For added afterthoughts so as not to spam the boards :P

For the record.... there is very little information available to anyone who wishes to take on a pregnancy RP. I do not think in general people on the game understand that.

There is a helpfile that simply states this....

Pregnancy, Babies and Children
==============================
Please note that ALL pregnancies in the game have to be
approved by the game administrators. We do not want instant
pregnancies and births at the Market Square. Any unapproved
pregnancies may find themselves nullified by the gods.
We have in place a series of policies and objects that
will be used for those who will roleplay approved
pregnancies and these can be found on out emailing
applications@forgottenkingdoms.com.

Additionally you cannot play a child PC without express
permission of the immortals. Email applications@forgottenkingdoms.com
before even starting the character. There is a kismet cost associated
with this roleplay, please see help kismet costs for the current cost.

Players with any character who has a strike need not bother apply for
a special roleplay. Those players with strikes are not considered for
special roleplays.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

though I got the belly... this is the only policy i have seen :P
on a side tangent... it would be lovely if there were more information for those who take this RP on.. and indeed before they do.

ICly a pregnant woman gets echoes etc... there are actions coded in that mimic pregnancy... that most people know. but.. There is no set time that a pregnancy takes ( which I can see as they want to see a good amount of RP ) however when ICLy I am asked when the baby is due... lol I say not for a long time... ( instead of ohhh about 10 more years :P roflmao)
but it makes it difficult for a PC to know at what stage they should add a bit of info to their desc. (perhaps to reflect a early pregg pooch tummy etc.)

In addition to that... it would be nice to see added to the guidlines what a woman can and can not do with her belly :P and what sort of effects she can expect .. the negatives she will take to her skills etc...
I would like to see a bit of info about what the imms actually want from a preg RP.

As a woman who has been pregnant I know I did not sit around eating 24/7( though I vomited nonstop so...there at least it is on target! lol) but in FK I feel very limited in my RP because I do not know the fine details of what is actually acceptable to the IMMs.
Also
there is no... information about what to expect at the different stages and even at the end.(When the child is to be born) No...I am not talking ICly I mean OOC...I have no clue as to how it is decided when the baby will be delivered or what actually occurs oocly nothing...I got a belly and put it on... that was it. (and... I choose to RP my char according to that)

So, when I come here to the forums...to ask questions I would hope that everyone would understand that I am not trying to cause trouble :/ just fishing for something in black and white for the few PCs who will take this ...endurance RP on ;) lol

I think it would be SUPER if there were an everything you "ever wanted to know about being preggo on FK" set of guidelines ;)

Hmmm " the Girlfriends guide to FK pregnancy" perhaps? im willing to write stuff up even, as long as someone will tell me :P roflmao!

okay rant is ended..

"The Banna" ( pregnant for 2 game years....at least 10 more to go!!!! lol)
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:40 am

There have been examples in the past, one that is in the Kingdoms journal lore of a pc that became pregnant without applying for rp and gave birth in a matter of hours, her character was dealt with for this as was another that tried to rp that, and eventually a system for applying for special rp's like pregnancy was established (This is from the old forums so correct me if I am wrong) I would think that time is in the realm of the beholder and not in the realm of rationality. It is always the same day in Fk if you think it is, and as such, you can assume that you have either been pregnant a few months or more, it is your choice, a baby however has the supreme habit of arriving when least expected, and as such it is a truly suprising and engrossing rp.

Shabanna
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Shabanna » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:12 am

Just wondered if anyone knows what the views on pregancy and drinking were historically during the FK time period. I know that fetal alcohol syndrome was not really something recognized until much more modern times. Im curious to know if it would have been considered Taboo during the dark/middle ages to have an ale or a glass of fruit wine?

I have noted, since I have been playing my preggo, that many people simply go by the stantard modern knowledge that we have... and though I do not see a problem with that... I think that from what I know of my theatre research whilst in college, people in general drank liquor, wine and ale because in many cases it was safer than the water supply...

It is interesting to see the very "modern" knowledge and views expressed ICLY but, im really interested to know if anyone has an historically correct reference to this subject. :D

Thanks
"The Banna"

:D
Meekir
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Meekir » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:07 am

I would say it took a while to connect actions during past nine months of pregnancy with bad outcomes in a child's development, and probably was not realized in the dark ages. This is an age where life was thought to spontaneously occur in trash heaps (where else could the flies and maggots come from?) and ugly babies were widely believed to be replacements from changling fairies.

If it were in a culture, it would be lumped in with other wives' tales, folklore, and superstitions. Especially in a world of magic and gods, you would be as likely to be advised to hang a mouse heart around your neck as a contraceptive (Jewish folklore), avoid lizards, pigs, and bakeries (old wedding superstition), or mix your blood with grain (a test for fertility) as be advised not to drink alcohol during pregnancy. But then, who knows how observant your local priest was?

It is also my experience that pregnant women are not only insane, but they also breathe fire and are ten feet tall.

This is not superstition, but observable fact.

Meekir
Characters: Llewis bin Llewsaan the Bard and Meekir Friendshield, Priest of Garl