Wondering about Secondary Smithing

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Wondering about Secondary Smithing

Post by Nysan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:48 pm

As any player of a long-time dwarf toon knows, you tend to have some spare time for study and practice during mining, smelting, and smithing trips. One of these periods of spare time brought me to smithing experimenting and discovering of barding construction. Great little side business and perfect change of pace from repeated legging smithing, I must say. So, now I wonder, if we have access to barding construction any plans to add to this area of smithing and construction? Horse shoes maybe? Saddles for leather workers?

I love the ability to make gear for my trusty mule. It has sparked good RP and decent smithing business when someone takes a look at my mule. But, no mithril horse shoes? No saddle of white dragon leather?

Just a thought. What do you think?
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:21 pm

Self-confessed trade addict that I am, I can empathise totally with your desire to see expanded trades.

As luck would have it, I've recently posed a similar question to the coders. Feel free to post ideas in this thread around possible ways to enhance smithing - or post in other trade threads for ideas on leatherworking etc.

My own thoughts thus far have been around additional weapon and armour types for crafting - horse armour being a good one.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:38 pm

Only things that have popped up yet have been craftable saddles, and horse shoes. I'm sure I'll come up with a few more. Mining gives alot of time for thinking. :wink:

Added as of Edits:
Quivers
Saddle bags
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:15 am

I would love to see bracers smithable, as well as sheaths of various kinds(IE syntax: armour smith 'wrist sheath' titanium/ armour smith 'scabbard' copper/armour smith 'back scabbard mithril, ect).
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:20 am

Camping and cooking equipment like pots and pans.
I would love to see dwarves crafting anvils and forging furniture and being able to work jewels into weaponry, armour and barding. Maybe a combination of the alchemy trade with smelting to create brass and blue steels or metals of different colours and temperences. I dream of the day of seeing a dwarven spoon smith arguing with a fork smith.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:28 am

I'd like to see things like cloaks and hoods being able to be made. Scabbards and sheaths would also be very cool :)
Telk
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:59 pm

Stuck on an airplane yesterday going cross country I picked up a copy of PC Gamer and noticed a very well written point by one of the authors. He said that RP games (specifically MMORPGs in the context of his article) are just like real life and that people want to be unique and have the mark of status that having rare or unique gear offers. New items with interesting descriptions just add to the depth and flavor of the game.

So if and when smiths can make all these diverse things it will be great. Meanwhiles it would be interesting to see more markets and carnivals in the cities. It'd be a good way to improve city economies and stir the pot every once in a while.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Ninde
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Ninde » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:19 am

My proposes are;
Sewing clothes (You can find silk threads and piece of silks in different places of the game, and you can find needles as well)
Wood carving (You can carve small statues, wooden jewelry, chests etc)
Cooking (Slightly different than what it is in the game. You can cook cakes, pies, stews etc.)
Armoursmithing (Rangers can construct other kind of armors, like leather skirts, or "elven styled leather armor" and "human styled leather armour" and so)
Lorion
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Lorion » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:23 am

I just had a thought on reading Harroghty's post, although i don't know if it is possible to code it. I was thinking about being able to put either an adjective or a description to your weapon/armour of choice. It would be something like a masterwork of a smith, and even though you probably shouldn't do it with everything you smith, I think it would be nice to create something like a blue-shimmering titanium longsword, or put in a description saying this item has the stamp of XYZ, the great armoursmith on it.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:35 pm

To prove my total ignorance of the process I was surprised after reading Lorion's post that you could not add adjectives when creating things. Can you write descriptions? Since Forgotten Kingdoms is a role-playing based (or at least inclined) game as opposed to something like some MMORPGs that will go unnamed I would imagine that every opportunity to describe, write and embellish should be taken.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:28 pm

Ninde wrote:Armoursmithing (Rangers can construct other kind of armors, like leather skirts, or "elven styled leather armor" and "human styled leather armour" and so)
This trade is already in the game, named "leatherworking." Though it lacks the freedom to describe made items as you proposed.
Lorion wrote:I think it would be nice to create something like a blue-shimmering titanium longsword, or put in a description saying this item has the stamp of XYZ, the great armoursmith on it.
This also exists to a degree; smithy PCs who have reached GM in armorsmith, and I imagine various other trades like lapidary and leatherworking, ect, can apply for a "stamp" which lets them create their own items which bear their mark. For example, a master smith dwarf who follows Laduguer might have the option to create "a steel helm marked with a shield and a broken arrow" with his stamp, or he could just create "a steel helm" if he chose not to use his stamp.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.